Review: E-Win Champion Series Gaming Chair Read more... ×
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs

After removing the Edge-to-Edge glass cover from my beast today, I was surprised to discover the anti glare screen behind it! No graininess and no reflections!

I cracked and scratched the E2E glass in the process but it was well worth the trouble since am not going to need it anyway. Finally an AW machine where I don't have to look at my face reflection all day, lol!

post-85-14494988129382_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

You gotta do something about the outerframe, it's kind of off-putting right now.

Did you think about anything ?

Of course. I'll make a custom bezel. Speedy offered to make an aluminum one and cover it with carbon fiber vinyl wrap :)

Wow, that sounds great, let us see some pictures when you have it installed!

If it's glued like on the M17x and R2, some alcohol and a blade should do it to separate teh E2E from the chassis.

Yep, except that I didn't use any alcohol, just a thin steel measuring stick, lol. You have to be very careful though as the E2E on M18x is thinner and easily cracked. It only took me one hour and hadn't I rushed at the final 5-6cm the E2E would be safe. But I was too rushy and pulled it too fast - > ***snap** :(

Any news here? I'm really curious about this mod... :)

Last I heard he had a couple of custom bezels being tested.

One had a carbon fiber vinyl covering and he was going between using english or alienware fonts for the engraving.

D.

I'm sorry to revive an old thread but I'm very interested to know if there have been others that have done this with the 17 inch model. Been searching for days and this is the closest i have found

I've ordered M18xR1 with glossy display because i really CAN'T STAND matte version. I had three laptops with matte display and i hate it, colors are much worse than in glossy version.

But that's just my opinion :)

Regards

^ This. It's a personal thing I guess. Added to that, I can also put on a temporary matte cover on it when I'm at work so I get the full fidelity when I play

lol i am the one currently owning his laptop. the matte screen is legit and non reflect alright. i had to do something about the bezel though. overall great asset to alienware and i'd say its must have compared to reflective display. also, loving his custom bezel alienware logo.

lol i am the one currently owning his laptop. the matte screen is legit and non reflect alright. i had to do something about the bezel though. overall great asset to alienware and i'd say its must have compared to reflective display. also, loving his custom bezel alienware logo.

Would you sell it to me? Haha. Sorry so desperate for him to do this mod for me. I pm'd him a few months ago but no reply back. : (

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I wish this would be sold by someone, I would so buy the screen. I hate the glare on the e2e plastic cover

I am sure Aikimox could make alot of money if he had custom bezel made specially for the m18x/m17x.

Anymore development on the mod I would certainly like mine gloss free ... it really irritates my while I play any game with dull brightness most of the time i am starring at my own face..

Personally, I like the E2E glass on the screen. I have an m18x r2, so how is this mod done? In other words, how do you take off the glass panel just incase I were to scratch it?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By mtvgt
      Hi guys,
      i have m18x R1 model with A05 unlocked bios and i try to connect ati mobility 4870 card/s.
      I read ton of posts but people that seem to have similar problem with different card didn't post any solution. Case is when i connect 4870 i get black screen and 8 beeps.
      When i use only integrated graphics (no cards installed) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use integrated graphics (nvidia card installed as master) laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master laptop is starting normally.
      When i use nvidia card installed as master and ati 4870 installed as slave laptop is starting normally but in devices manager i see there is error 10 with ati card.
      When i use ati 4870 card installed as master i get 8 beeps and black screen.
      I tried to google for answers but unfortunatelly didn't find any. Do you know if that old card can work in m18x ? Maybe it's not supported at all? Do you have any ideas what else can i try?
    • By GrisGris
      For when that rubber coating on your laptop phase shifts to fly paper...

Here is what I did,

Disassemble M18x:
      Well documented by debaucher:
      The palm rest section was the biggest offender for me;

>I used a plastic spoon and nail polish remover to remove the rubber coating:
      >Obviously remove as many of the various utility boards as possible.
      >I left the touch pad in place because this model used thermally fused plastic rivet like pieces to hold the light pipes in place and I found it easier to mask it off.
      >"FrogTape Delicate Surface" worked very well for masking off various surfaces

>I used Krylon Plastic Paint as a base coat and 'Jet Black metal flake Automotive Paint;

>With the paint still setting up I dusted various glow powders over the substrate and dusted some additional black paint to achieve some depth to the effect .
      >I after the automotive paint set up I use mate clear coat the overcoat the entire surface. I personally believe glossy clear coat would not look as good. 
      >Adjust as needed and re-assemble.

>I Used a USB LED clamp light available ebay/amazon $10 to illuminate

Hope you enjoyed the first post...
    • By p1npo1nt
      I'm going to be upgrading my Alienware M18x R1 with a GTX770m I purchased from ebay; 770m has a Dell P/N: HW6C9 for reference. I have a couple questions about performing this upgrade:

-Is the /unlocked/ version A05 bios necessary? I am receiving 8 beeps on startup with the dell factory A05 bios installed w/ the 770m
      -Is a vBIOS flash required for basic functionality and driver installs? 
      -If so, is there a link to a compatible vBIOS for this card, finally, a guide for installing the new vbios?

Any help is vastly appreciated, I've done some homework but I am new to upgrading MXM modules on laptops. 
    • By Henrik9979
      First I want to thank the community, who have inspired me to do this project.
      I will give you guys the chance to follow me on this journey.

I hope you will all help me come up with ideas, techniques and parts that could become handy.

This modding may be possible to convert to allot of laptops.

Let's begin!
      Here is the measurement of the went hole.
      77mm X 16mm

I have 2 ideas for what can be done.

• By Tristan0123
      So I have an old Alienware m18x R1 that I upgraded this past Sept. It shipped with nvidia 460m in sli and I ended up putting in a single 780m  I ended up getting everything swapped out and up and running after reading alot of post on this forum . Most of the old games I regularly play ran smooth enough but everything newer seemed to have a have a hard time running smoothly. first i though it was overheating but no temps are normal. Then I noticed that my gpu is throttling. At this point I had some new drivers, that I found ran pretty stable. Came across this thread 
        So I did as instructed and wiped the newer drivers in safe mode and loaded out some old ones suggest in the linked thread above.
      My problem currently is that throttling is still taking place. I am pretty sure I know what I need to do. When I upgraded the hardware I had trouble finding an unlocked bios for my m18x r1. I know there is a TechInferno link to download one but my account does not let me.  So I found a A05 version that was not unlocked but was still able to support the new card.  So I am attempting to find a unlocked version of the A05 driver so I can attempt to follow the instructions here http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m18x-r2-with-980m-possible-throttling-fix.791358/  and change some of the setting in the bios.  I have a feeling this may work but I am currently stuck as I am apparently not able to download anything from this site. 

I am far from an expert on such so if anyone out there reads this let me know if you can help a fellow out or maybe point me in the right direction. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.