Lenovo Y410p M.2 SSD 128GB

Lombax

Nice aquisition that is a great price. I recently upgraded the msata that came in my Alienware 18 from the Lite On 80gb msata ssd to a Crucial M550 256gb msata ssd and I am loving it to, the upgrade was easy and these msata drives run as fast as their big brother 2.5" drives. I was very impressed. I noticed the one I bought had a huge power consumption vs the original Lite On drive I replaced, it all went well though. I have the Lite On in a small Msata USB3 portable aluminum pocket enclosure, it seems to work very well and was a cheap way to make use of the drive I replaced. Sabrent USB 3.0 mSATA II or III/6G SSD Enclosure Adapter [support UASP] (EC-UKMS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LRZPNHM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rKXkub12JJSN4

Crucial M550 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT256M550SSD3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRRDJ4W/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jMXkub11V6ASF

The PCB on that enclosure shakes a little in the aluminum case so al I did as a reviewer suggested was tape a piece of electric tape on the back of the pcb folded a few times and it gets rid of all vibrations. Gets detected on my Alienware 18 on Windows 7 64 Ult just fine and on an old Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 8.1 pro as a test/ dummy computer.. Cheers

Nice aquisition that is a great price. I recently upgraded the msata that came in my Alienware 18 from the Lite On 80gb msata ssd to a Crucial M550 256gb msata ssd and I am loving it to, the upgrade was easy and these msata drives run as fast as their big brother 2.5" drives. I was very impressed. I noticed the one I bought had a huge power consumption vs the original Lite On drive I replaced, it all went well though. I have the Lite On in a small Msata USB3 portable aluminum pocket enclosure, it seems to work very well and was a cheap way to make use of the drive I replaced. Sabrent USB 3.0 mSATA II or III/6G SSD Enclosure Adapter [support UASP] (EC-UKMS) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LRZPNHM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_rKXkub12JJSN4

Crucial M550 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT256M550SSD3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRRDJ4W/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jMXkub11V6ASF

The PCB on that enclosure shakes a little in the aluminum case so al I did as a reviewer suggested was tape a piece of electric tape on the back of the pcb folded a few times and it gets rid of all vibrations. Gets detected on my Alienware 18 on Windows 7 64 Ult just fine and on an old Dell Inspiron 1720 with Windows 8.1 pro as a test/ dummy computer.. Cheers

Awesome! i'm debating getting a 512gb ssd and replacing the current 1tb hdd. for weight, heat, and power consumption, as well as speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome! i'm debating getting a 512gb ssd and replacing the current 1tb hdd. for weight, heat, and power consumption, as well as speed.

Wow very cool I highly recomend SSD's the benefits are absolutely great as you outlined some of the best points. If it is in the budget definitely incredible once set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone also comment on the differences between the models sold by mydigitalssd and the ones just put on the market by transcend and adata, because there's a healthy 40 dollar difference between the two. Is the performance delta just as large as well?

Are there any special hoops that you have to jump through to get windows installed on one of these? Or do they function just link another HDD once installed?

Based on your experience, is it worth getting one of these even if an SSD is already installed as the main drive? Is there any noticeable gain over a traditional SSD?

I ordered my NGFF SSD 128 GB and waiting for its arrival. Does anyone have any experience what is the best ratio of that drive to put in real partition vs cache part.

Because i have read in some forums that 128 GB is overkill in using it all for just caching the HDD drive.

I am probably going to go for 32 GB cache and 96 GB partition for windows unless you guys have some better advice?

• 4 weeks later...
I recently upgraded my Y410p to a M.2 NGFF 128GB SSD. I would love to suggest the upgrade to almost anyone! I can reboot in 5 seconds max!

I recommend this SSD specifically:

MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) Super Boot Eco Drive 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF 2242 SSD Solid State Drive - MDM242-SBe-128

From what I know, this ssd is one of the few that really works in Y410/Y510 models without problems as a boot drive, but is slower than Adata model.

What is your write speed on yours? I'm very surios? I think it has a slower controller but with better compatibility with this lenovo models.

From what I know, this ssd is one of the few that really works in Y410/Y510 models without problems as a boot drive, but is slower than Adata model.

What is your write speed on yours? I'm very surios? I think it has a slower controller but with better compatibility with this lenovo models.

Well I swapped laptop because I couldn't stand the resolution on this thing and my upgrade attempts were futile. I have this SSD in my acer v15 nitro black edition.

I bought the super cache 2 64gig m2 mini card mydigitalssd.. i haven't even put it in yet! haha

i Have the y410p .. with a 840 EVO SSD 250gig.. seems very fast so far.. but still having major heat problems in general with this laptop..

need a good laptop cooler i guess..

• 1 month later...

If you have a y510p and you don't use the CD drive (assuming you're not using a SLI system) I suggest that you get a normal ssd and one of these: SilverStone TS08 9.5mm Height 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD Caddy for Laptop / 2.5" SSD/HDD Conversion Tray (White) - Newegg.com

Pop the hard drive into the caddy, and put any SSD you want into the laptop's hard drive slot.

This way you can put the hard drive anywhere you want, move it to your main pc, move it from laptop to laptop etc.

I recently purchased the MyDigitalSSD Super boot Eco 128 for my lenovo y410p. I just use it as a hidden drive for VMware (makes vmware rediculous fast.) But when I benchmark with HD TUNE, the speed is sporadic.

Like it will go at 290MB then down to 100 then back up again like a zigzag.. In regular use I find it snappy and never hangs. But has anyone benchmarked the drive and saw the same sporadic speeds?

• 3 months later...

I wanted to try myself the adata 128gb ssd and I bought one. Installed windows7 ahci mode as adata recommend's but the benchmark for writing speed was very low under 140MB/s. Installed windows 8.1 64bit under IDE and bios(not.uefi) and the speeds were also very low for writing. Read speeds were over 400MB/s so...to slow for the money. Same performance as a Transcend MT400. I returned it today with my soul crying because I bought a laptop for a feature that it seems to be useless. I found that a ssd kingspec 128Gb and 300MB/s is compatible with this laptop but I can find it just on eBay with no warranty. Also there is a Integral ssd with 430MB/s write speed but I can't find it in stores now. Any thoughts about one of the variants, kingspec or integral?<br />

After two weeks:

Problem solved. I bought a n Integral SSD128GB . It looks cheap but IT WORKS. I managed to install windows 8.1 in AHCI mode and made a benchmark. 500MB/s read and 160 Write. I cloned my HDD C drive and system partitions . I also installed a Crucial M550 in HDD place and I copied a 4.4GB ISO as a benchmark. From integral to crucial 450MB/s . From Crucial to Integral dropped from ~300MB/s to 150MB/s. <br />

<br />

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk<br/>

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk