Fried P150SM-A

Changalang

Midway through a Windows install, I bumped the laptop, disconnecting the AC adapter, so I just plugged it back in. Lo and behold, the laptop shuts down and I smell a heart-dropping smoky smell coming out of the laptop right around the HD bay.

Poking around a bit, this is what I saw. (bubbled P2808 B0 chip right by the ribbon)

I'm a bio guy by trade, so I'm a total newbie at this sort of EE stuff. The service manual schematics are quite a bit over my head and general internet browsing hasn't treated me much better.

I was hoping to get some feedback from you more experienced folk as to the prognosis for this board and the courses of action that I can take from here.

I'm talking to the reseller I got the laptop from, but I'm using Prema's bios and a graphics card from an HP so I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get in-warranty service.

Thanks!

post-29750-14494998414586_thumb.jpg

post-29750-14494998411988_thumb.jpg

Ouch. That cap has the system supply voltage across it, which is 16.5V. The chip that blew is the GPU power switch, which will power off the GPU for optimus and enduro. It looks like the GPU cap blew, which then caused a short killing the mobo's GPU power supply circuit. The GPU should be OK if you pull the dead cap. It does not need to be replaced and can be left off. CPU and other stuff will be fine.

Start the system with the GPU pulled. It might work. If not then pull the dead chip if you have a heat gun. I recommend not using a soldering iron since you can easily damage the motherboard with one.

By the way what is that GPU and what is it from? It does not have a standard layout like Dell, Clevo, and MSI cards, which makes me think that it was built for a lower supply voltage and thus fried with the higher clevo supply voltage.

• Thumbs Up 3

Out of curiosity did you send this laptop to James to look at? Someone is sending their dead p150sm to him and I am looking at it too this wednesday. Small world if so...

Lol sure is :) How are ya we both are from New York last i remember :) I hope you get it fixed easy enough Changalang

No I haven't sent it out anywhere just yet. I'm going to poke around in the engineering labs at school and maybe ask around to see if I can find a hot air rework station (or see if anybody experienced there would do me a favor).

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I'd planned on using just the iGPU so I just pulled a dead Quadro FX2800M from a scrap box and plugged it in without thinking about possible consequences.

That said, I'm still planning on not using a dGPU and I guess I still haven't learned my lesson about tinkering with things I don't quite understand, so I'm thinking about making a placeholder pcb card with just a temperature sensor on board.

After taking a look at the service manual and a mxm 3.0 spec sheet I found online (MXM_spec_v301_°Ù¶ÈÎÄ¿â), I whipped up a schematic that I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would be willing to critique.

Also, the spec sheet says some pretty specific things about the thermal sensor in section 3.4.10 at the bottom of the page, but I was wondering if I really do need to use the LM99 & 3904 combo or if I could just use a simpler local temperature sensor provided I give it the proper SMBus address.

In any case, thanks for the help!

post-29750-14494998425716_thumb.png