Integrated Graphics on Y500

rb8720

I have been doing a lot of reading trying to find out how to enable the supposedly integrated HD4000 graphics on my y500. I have seen many post about it being disabled. But what I can't seem to find a definite answer on is if it is only disabled vie software or has it been Physically disabled on the motherboard smehow. IE. Resistor not on board, missing trace etc... Does anyone know the answer to this and If i missed it here in another thread I apologize. I would be willing to try some board mods if we have a good theory on how it was disabled.

Thanks

RB8720

reminds me of some of the old cable modems that had the serial connection disabled. We actually scrapped away the protective coating on top of the processor chip and soldered wires directly to the chip to enable the serial connection. Very difficult mod, but was able to do it. If we can find out exactly how it was disables or what part of the chip is dedicated to it it may be possible to find a way to enable it. But finding out is the hard part.

Thanks,

RB8720

Old cable modems used "bigger" transistors and chips, thus making homemade soldering connections rather easy. Nowadays every computer out there uses very small solder points, and you might have a hard time (if not mess everything up).

For $ome rea$on, they decided to disable the built in graphics. ~maybe~ to sell models with the built in graphics enabled? Who knows.

its finished intel made Lenovo processors only cores without graphic core so .........in fact.there is no graphic card (core) to enable or disable !

No.

Old cable modems used "bigger" transistors and chips, thus making homemade soldering connections rather easy. Nowadays every computer out there uses very small solder points, and you might have a hard time (if not mess everything up).

For $ome rea$on, they decided to disable the built in graphics. ~maybe~ to sell models with the built in graphics enabled? Who knows.

And nope.

• 1 month later...

Its hard to believe that Intel would make a custom processor just for Lenovo, I have a Y500 and CPUBoss indicates that the Intel i5 3230M has HD4000 built in. Does the unlocked BIOS have any options for GPU? I can't use it yet because I don't have enough posts :/

Its hard to believe that Intel would make a custom processor just for Lenovo, I have a Y500 and CPUBoss indicates that the Intel i5 3230M has HD4000 built in. Does the unlocked BIOS have any options for GPU? I can't use it yet because I don't have enough posts :/

It is not a custom CPU. The mobile i5 and i7 all have on-die iGPU, it's just that on the Y500 the display is comnected to the primary dGPU, so the iGPU is unusable regardless of which CPU you have or modded BIOS. The single GPU Y510p carries no such restriction, but SLI models of both laptops don't have accessible iGPU either since Optimus is incompatible with SLI.