y510p m.2 ssd disappearing

DougQuaid

I bought a-data premier pro sp900 256GB m.2 ssd and I have problems installing win8 to it, even detecting it in existing win8 installation on hdd. SSD is detected in bios, but when I boot windows8, it disappears from device manager after cca 30 seconds and then it is missing in the bios after restart. It is only detected again after full shutdown and turn on using power button. When I tried to install windows 7 on it, I've had no problems, win7 runs fine from this m.2 ssd, so the ssd is not faulty, but I want to use windows 8. The only way that this ssd is working in win8 is when I set sata controller in bios to compatibility mode, but I don't want to run ssd in IDE emulation without ahci or trim support. What is interesting, that ssd also disappears in linux (archlinux with latest 3.16 kernel), so it must be caused by some feature that is supported on win8 and newer linux kernel, but not on windows7. I installed unlocked bios and tried to change some sata controller settings, but nothing helped.

Did someone managed to install windows 8 on this laptop on m.2 ssd?

I have 7 days to return this ssd with full refund, so it would be great if some solution could be found in this timeframe :)

I found these two events in event log right before disappearance of the ssd

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
Disk 0 has been surprise removed.

I bought a-data premier pro sp900 256GB m.2 ssd and I have problems installing win8 to it, even detecting it in existing win8 installation on hdd. SSD is detected in bios, but when I boot windows8, it disappears from device manager after cca 30 seconds and then it is missing in the bios after restart. It is only detected again after full shutdown and turn on using power button. When I tried to install windows 7 on it, I've had no problems, win7 runs fine from this m.2 ssd, so the ssd is not faulty, but I want to use windows 8. The only way that this ssd is working in win8 is when I set sata controller in bios to compatibility mode, but I don't want to run ssd in IDE emulation without ahci or trim support. What is interesting, that ssd also disappears in linux (archlinux with latest 3.16 kernel), so it must be caused by some feature that is supported on win8 and newer linux kernel, but not on windows7. I installed unlocked bios and tried to change some sata controller settings, but nothing helped.

I have 7 days to return this ssd with full refund, so it would be great if some solution could be found in this timeframe :)

I have ADATA SP920SS and no such messages occurs in my event log. May it be SSD fault? Try running ADATA SSDTool (or SSD Toolbox, dont remember exactly atm) and see what it shows.

• 4 weeks later...

i have exactly the same issue, except that the ssd model is a-data premier pro sp900 128GB.

have you find a solution?

thank you!

• 1 month later...

I will stay sticked to this topic. I want to buy the same Adata 128Gb but everyone has problems with it. i know that is a Intel version with the same controller. Enybody knows something about this? In fact the M2 slot was the reason for buying Y510p not Z510 with msata. :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I have a y410p as well, its a very common issue, if the ssd disappears try putting your computer to sleep and then taking it of sleep, that usually makes the ssd get redected for me

its kinda odd. I asked lenovo about this and they said they couldnt do anything and did not know what was going on. It seems like anything other than the liteon ssds do this, all other ones (mine is a toshiba) seems to have this disappearing syndrome

• 2 months later...

Honest question, can you even pick up an SSD that's larger than the, what, 32GB or something ( I can't recall) to shove into that slot? A 128GB would be perfect, but I highly doubt they make something with that form factor. Hell, I don't even know if I can get the Y510p's SSD from Lenovo anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi plsoldier,

You mean, you had found fix to problem with ADATA m.2 SSD 256 GB disk on Y510p laptop?

It wouldb be great if you find this link to fix, really. Many people experience this issue around the world.

Be Hero and find this link for Us ...pleasee ;)

Hi plsoldier,

You mean, you had found fix to problem with ADATA m.2 SSD 256 GB disk on Y510p laptop?

It wouldb be great if you find this link to fix, really. Many people experience this issue around the world.

Be Hero and find this link for Us ...pleasee ;)

I had the same issue. After hours and hours of playing with bios and update frame ware I was able to get it to work. They way I fix it was using a USB to SAT. Format the SSD ( Clear it) and update hardware with SSD appropriate software. Make sure Bios is setup correctly. I had a OCZ SSD and thought it went out but luckily I fixed it before tossing it..lol

There is no update for ADATA disk. Adata tech support wrote:

Beacuse it will enabled DVESLP (Device Sleep) technology by default with AHCI mode to install win8.1 OS,but Lenovo Y510P hardware not support DVESLP technology.So it may not be detected or can not install the system.

You can install win7 OS with AHCI mode on this SSD.

My favourite part is last sentence :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

I wanted to try myself the adata 128gb ssd and I bought one. Installed windows7 ahci mode as adata recommend's but the benchmark for writing speed was very low under 140MB/s. Installed windows 8.1 64bit under IDE and bios(not.uefi) and the speeds were also very low for writing. Read speeds were over 400MB/s so...to slow for the money. Same performance as a Transcend MT400. I returned it today with my soul crying because I bought a laptop for a feature that it seems to be useless. I found that a ssd kingspec 128Gb and 300MB/s is compatible with this laptop but I can find it just on eBay with no warranty. Also there is a Integral ssd with 430MB/s write speed but I can't find it in stores now. Any thoughts about one of the variants, kingspec or integral?

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. I bought a n Integral SSD128GB . It looks cheap but IT WORKS. I managed to install windows 8.1 in AHCI mode and made a benchmark. 500MB/s read and 160 Write. I cloned my HDD C drive and system partitions . I also installed a Crucial M550 in HDD place and I copied a 4.4GB ISO as a benchmark. From integral to crucial 450MB/s . From Crucial to Integral dropped from ~300MB/s to 150MB/s.

• 1 month later...

Transcend is the way to go i have only win 7 in AHCI mode

sequential read : 530

sequential write : 300

I have also seen that ADATA has issues so i preferred not to buy it, i think now is best time to buy m2 2242 ssd 256 GB cost about 100e and it is giving this notebook lot of performance boost.

Note that Transcend also support DEVSLP but so far no issue with that.

• 2 weeks later...