Maxwell GM204: GTX980M / GTX970M / GTX965M

GT72 with GTX 980M and 8GB VRAM indeed

MSI GT72 2QE-229NL Dominator Pro - Laptopshop.be

GT72 with GTX 970M and 6GB VRAM

http://www.misteroops.com/systemes/1...072368616.html

Doesnt look like we are gonna have a VRAM issue for the Maxwell cards. Nvidia plays it smart and know that DSR will require quite a bit of VRAM icon7.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

This is something you guys will have to remedy ;-)

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

phila

P.S.: Which notebook is best in regard to flash the VBIOS - Clevo did work well for me, but I was thinking about having an ASUS or MSI this time.

Still hope to see the shader count go up with the next GPU-Z update...

The TMU count is 128 which can't be right without all 2048 shaders enabled, so GPU-z is wrong. Hell even the latest GPU-z often says my 7970m has as many shaders as Tahiti.

Sweet... How about compare this one to desktop GPU? is GTX 970 much more powerful than 980m in practice ?

Hi! From what I read the 970 and the 980m are somewaht equal (pipelines, bus width), yet the base clock of the 980m ist slightly slower and the RAM is runs with 5012mhz instead of 7000mhz.

The 980m should be about 12% slower than the 970 perhaps. But this is just a guess.

Best regards

phila

You guys are looking bored. :sleeping:

Added some basic GTX980M info. So how do you guys like a stock Turbo Boost of 1127Mhz...guess we will see some 14xxMhz+ from this bad boy, once we are done with the chip. ;)

Looks like this time we may need to pencil mod (overvolt) the vRAM to play catch up. :woot:

It depends if the cirucitry allows it, the 880M through 680M did, but AMD cards are no where near as simple.

Curious about the new notebooks coming along. gunamike posted the following video.

It has no completely new information, but the presentation is quite nice.

PLUS gunamike mentions that the mobile cards might be avaliable from tht 7th of october.

This would be really good news to me ;-)

Best regards

phila

It depends if the cirucitry allows it, the 880M through 680M did, but AMD cards are no where near as simple.

That's all I had to do on my 7970m. I just had to pencil a single resistor. Recently though AMD cards have had higher quality voltage regulation (3 vs 2 core phases, full buck converter for some secondary GPU voltage) so it is harder to find the right resistor compared to nvidia cards.

Found this prediction on notebookcheck-ru.com (translated by google):

"Apparently, GeForce GTX 980M will be comparable in performance to the desktop card Nvidia GeForce GTX 970. Not really so bad, perhaps."

(Source: ПредÑтавлены GeForce GTX 980M и GTX 970M - Notebookcheck-ru.com)

In comparission the following peace of news (issued just some minutes ago) seems more improtant to me:

"Today NVIDIA finally reveals its first GeForce 900M Maxwell mobile GPUs. High-end Maxwell architecture finally makes its way to mobile segment. GeForce GTX 980M and GTX 970M are the first high-end Maxwell graphics cards in notebooks, and we finally see why NVIDIA made the transition to 900 series. The fact that NVIDIA did not use full GM204 core in mobile GPU is not shocking. These cards will never be as fast as desktop variants, due to strict TDP requirements. The lesson here is that next GeForce 1000 series, GTX 1800/1080M (whatever it’s called) will most likely feature GM204 with more SMMs enabled. NVIDIA has still large field of improvement, as there are 5 SMMs disabled in N16E-GX (980M GPU). In case you’re wondering how fast will GTX 980 be, MSI has posted a teaser with GTX 880M and GTX 980M comparison. Aos you can see have almost 60% improvement. You can find more results in our previous post."

GT72-880M-400x247.jpg GT72-980M-score-400x246.jpg

(Source: NVIDIA launches GeForce GTX 980M and GTX 970M | VideoCardz.com)

This news is flanked by an other recent article (spanish) that announces the latest MSI notebooks:

MSI actualiza sus porttiles gaming con las nuevas GTX 980M y GTX 970M | Noticias de Tecnologa | HispaZone.com

Best regards

phila

P.S.: What`s interesting about this news is that both pages only mentions 1536 ALUs!!! This keeps me wondering if I should wait for the next iteration.

• Thumbs Up 1