Maxwell GM204: GTX980M / GTX970M / GTX965M

Damn that TGP, damn you.

Why do you post TDP if TGP is what matters? Why do you post TGP if TDP is what matters. Confusing as hell for this simple mind :P

How is the TDP of GTX 980M, not TGP, compared to GTX 680M and GTX 880M Prema?

I don't know them...in general all MXM are given as TGP, all onboard as TDP.

TGP (MXM):

GTX880M - 105W

GTX780M - 100W

GTX870M - 100W

GTX770M - 75W

GTX860M - 75W (Kepler)

TDP (onboard):

GTX860M - 50W (Maxwell)

GTX760M - 42W

GTX850M - 40W

GT750M - 40W

GT845M - 30W

GT745M - 23W

GT840W - 30W

GT740M - 32W

Though I guess there is this one available in both flavors:

GTX765M:

TGP - 70W

TDP - 55W

...Stock?! You`re serious about this one?!...

Yep :)

I don't know them...in general all MXM are given as TGP, all onboard as TDP.

TGP (MXM):

GTX880M - 105W

GTX780M - 100W

GTX870M - 100W

GTX770M - 75W

GTX860M - 75W (Kepler)

TDP (onboard):

GTX860M - 50W (Maxwell)

GTX760M - 42W

GTX850M - 40W

GT750M - 40W

GT845M - 30W

GT745M - 23W

GT840W - 30W

GT740M - 32W

Though I guess there is this one available in both flavors:

GTX765M:

TGP - 70W

TDP - 55W

Yep :)

There is gotta be something seriously flawed with TGP rating and its not nearly as accurate as TDP.

Take GTX 770M and GTX 860M Kepler for example. Both have a TGP of 75W according to you.

GTX 770M: 960 cores @797MHz. VRAM: 1002MHz

GTX 860M: 1152 cores @850MHz. VRAM: 1250MHz

860M have 20% more cores, they are clocked higher. 860M have VRAM that not only runs 250MHz above 770M, the VRAM is also running higher voltage. All of this, calculated and put together as a MXM rating, and Im suppose to believe that they output the same heat? Nope, dont believe that at all.

Im inclined to believe that the TDP between 770M and 860M is actually different if they came as soldered.

GTX770M has 192bit FB Width while GTX860M uses only 128bit. Thus the 770M scores a tad higher even though it has lower clocks etc.

Also don't forget that the GTX860M uses a lower default voltage table to reach higher clocks as the older GTX770M. The process simply becomes more efficient over time.

GTX 770M only got 2 more VRAM chips, and all 6 are clocked lower and use lower voltage than the 4 on GTX 860M. So that cant be the reason.

Lower voltage on the cores though, well that one is news for me. I guess more matured silicon means the 860M can run lower voltage, thus resulting in less heat per core on the same clock like you say. :)

But Im still very sceptical about the accuracy of this. Not that I dont trust you though because I know you are pretty updated on this stuff.

Like GTX 780M and GTX 880M. According to you the 880M is only rated 5W above, but reviews have shown that the 880M still runs significant hotter.

Strange indeed

GTX 770M only got 2 more VRAM chips, and all 6 are clocked lower and use lower voltage than the 4 on GTX 860M. So that cant be the reason.

Lower voltage on the cores though, well that one is news for me. I guess more matured silicon means the 860M can run lower voltage, thus resulting in less heat per core on the same clock like you say. :)

But Im still very sceptical about the accuracy of this. Not that I dont trust you though because I know you are pretty updated on this stuff.

Like GTX 780M and GTX 880M. According to you the 880M is only rated 5W above, but reviews have shown that the 880M still runs significant hotter.

Strange indeed

(This GTX770M has even only 3GB while the GTX860M uses 4GB. It's the wider FB Width of the 770M that makes the difference in throughput.)

GTX 980M: 2048 cores @1100MHz

9500 in Firestrike

GTX 970: 1664 cores @1200MHz

10300 in Firestrike

i'd say those specs are very wrong :P

Wouldnt it make more sense to have the same cores as GTX 970? To me it does

I don't think you understand the goal for us here. 2 980M's = 1 980. That's what I'm shooting for. So I would expect it to be better than a single 970.

You can not compare mobile to desktop (current gen) for the simple fact they have a very different power concerns.

Side note:

Would love to have the full cuda, but nothing wrong with starting out at 1664. Then like your favorite part of this...980MX. :D

Although that would really suck for early adopters.

I don't think you understand the goal for us here. 2 980M's = 1 980. That's what I'm shooting for. So I would expect it to be better than a single 970.

You can not compare mobile to desktop (current gen) for the simple fact they have a very different power concerns.

Side note:

Would love to have the full cuda, but nothing wrong with starting out at 1664. Then like your favorite part of this...980MX. :D

Although that would really suck for early adopters.

GTX 980M with 2048 cores would outmatch a GTX 970 with 1664 cores with no problems. It would reflect on Firestrike Extreme for sure. GTX 980M scores 4300 in GPU score while GTX 970 scores 5000. This makes perfect sense if it is a 1664 core GPU as well, only lower clocked than GTX 970 :)

The full GM204 aka 2048 cores will have to wait to 2015 I think. Gotta have something to pay for the engineering of 16nm FinFet Pascal in 2016 you know

It is alread confirmed that GTX 970M have 1280 cores which makes a 2048 core GTX 980M too much of a jump between them as well.

Just wait and see. I expected more from Sweclockers to be honest. They are usually very reliable.

But yeah, either way the GTX 980M is looking to be a 50%++ jump over GTX 880M anyway :)

I wish I could confirm or deny the CUDA cores, but don't have that info. They are spot on with the clocks, but they only posted the article a few hours after we posted them here and to be exact the Turbo is 1126.5Mhz, so who knows...

I wish I could confirm or deny the CUDA cores, but don't have that info. They are spot on with the clocks, but they only posted the article a few hours after we posted them here and to be exact the Turbo is 1126.5Mhz, so who knows...

Yeah. it's best to wait for the final verdict.

If i decide to run a clevo this trip, I will be at your front door. :)

Side note:

After doing some real numbers look up based off of what we have now. The 980M sli is in fact, damn near better than a single 980. Although we will still need to see more testing from the mobile series, but this is actually fantastic news!

My version of this is trying to catch an over clocked desktop version to be considered = to or better.

LN2/voltage mod/ desktop cpu. World record holder.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-5960X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. RAMPAGE V EXTREME

vs this at apparently stock

post-638-14494998411449_thumb.jpg

These are the real world max numbers i'm talking about. So with some over clocking...that score can be obtainable. Which has never ever been done in the history of laptops. I know. I have been trying for years now.

• Thumbs Up 1

@johnksss: Yeah thats amazing. GTX 980M SLI will be overkill for 1080p gaming though. Good thing Nvidia introduced DSR to downsample higher res down to 1080p. Will be demanding as hell for sure.

Im thinking about maybe going with 970M SLI. Should be a decent upgrade over my 770Ms anyway. I like the heat/power ratio but if 980M runs pretty cool anyway I might go that route.

@Prema: I didnt know a wider memory bus output more heat. Sounds weird

OK turns out someone just fed sweclockers with our clock numbers, added a little sauce in the form of a fake GPU-Z and they made a story out of it. They have now changed the CUDA count to 1664 (-ish...LOL), exactly where it should be:

Geforce GTX*980M får 8*GB GDDR5-minne - Bärbara datorer - SweClockers.com

Exactly why I didn't want to say anything earlier.(For fear of a un welcomed debate/argument. LOL). Good work prema!

And that brings us back to where I mentioned. "Our Community" :D

Now I'm wondering if the scores are flubbed?

Wow. Is a really huge gain over the past generations. Anybody knows if we can buy one of this graphics card alone. Without buying a PC. For example, to upgrade a MSI GT70. Thanks in advance guys!

Kinda noobish answer here: but even if you can lay your hands on an piece (which will not be that easy as those cards in general will go directly into the notebookproduction) it seems to be somewhat difficult to upgrade a notebook even if the cards use the same mxm slot. This has something to do with the periphery has to match as well. A friend of mine managed to use a 680m in an older clevo model but this allready involved editing the bios of the motherboard I guess. Of course in this forums there should be people who could do this, but unfortunately it is not simple plug and play.

Best regards

phila

Kinda noobish answer here: but even if you can lay your hands on an piece (which will not be that easy as those cards in general will go directly into the notebookproduction) it seems to be somewhat difficult to upgrade a notebook even if the cards use the same mxm slot. This has something to do with the periphery has to match as well. A friend of mine managed to use a 680m in an older clevo model but this allready involved editing the bios of the motherboard I guess. Of course in this forums there should be people who could do this, but unfortunately it is not simple plug and play.

Best regards

phila

Probable Keywords for you my friends to obtain this gpu in the future; "upgrademonkey" "eBay"

"GTX 980M MXM"

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk