Maxwell GM204: GTX980M / GTX970M / GTX965M

• 5 weeks later...
Those cards seems to be a dream, is somebody here want to upgrade from a 6xx series to the 9xx ?

Mxm upgrade WTB :P

The 980m indeed is a dream. Runs smoothly and performs great. Unfortunately the card is locked in terms of overclocking. It supprts the allowed +135mhz without any probelm and bears an equal percentage of vRam ocing.

Still I believe one could go further - if the bios was unlocked. That`s why I am curious to hear about news.

Best regards

phila

The 980m indeed is a dream. Runs smoothly and performs great. Unfortunately the card is locked in terms of overclocking. It supprts the allowed +135mhz without any probelm and bears an equal percentage of vRam ocing.

Still I believe one could go further - if the bios was unlocked. That`s why I am curious to hear about news.

Best regards

phila

Wait for svl7 to release an official vbios mod for maxwell GPU's I know he got a 980m on hand now, which 970m will follow.. Just be patient people :)

i heard the gtx 980m is good at gaming but, anything using CUDA or compute type of applications its bad. what do you think ?

Yeah it is a GeForce (gaming card) not a Quadro or Tesla. For any GPU compute tasks employing double-precision floating point calculations, it is absolutely terrible, just like every other GeForce not named Titan.

I'm surprised no one hasn't just flashed the clocks higher. It's a simple vbios mod. When you can only overclock 135MHz, then raise the "default" clock...

On the one hand I`d be curious to try it. On the other I read more than one post on the Forum that says that he encountered Problems when flashing the vBios of an MSI... which is what I call my own.

Best regards

phila

• 1 month later...

hmmm lets see.... 65 fps at 60% utilization would theoretically result in 108 fps at 100%. scaling from FHD to UHD gives a penalty of roughly 70-80%, lets say 75%, so that would be 27fps left. probably better to stick to 3K DSR then :D

The 900M series, imo, is a massive improvement from the kepler architectue/series, hopefully nvidia doesnt try to rush mobile GPU's as they have bben by just applying overclocks and adding VRAM xD

Well they're up to 8GB vRAM, so they can't go higher.

dang! thats very nice FPS, i know CoD isnt the hardest game to run but over 150 FPS almost constant, and that isnt all VRAM work, i dont know that 8 GB helps out any more than 4 GB, but hey, take what you can get right, I'd say those 980M's will set you up for a very long at this rate, maybe more xD unless you absolutely have to have newest and fastest, but very very very nice none the less.

oh, sorry, didnt see the evga precision up, i watched in to low of resolution :P, i cant properly see, does that say 7038 MB GPU usage?! if so ignore first my reply