Maxwell GM204: GTX980M / GTX970M / GTX965M

Hate to hi jack this thread guys but for all of ya'll who does not a problem shelling out that much money in these mobile GTX 970M and 980M, if graphics card performance, temp limits and vRAM size is somewhat a concern why not try to DIY eGPU 2.0 these little monsters with full desktop GTX 970 980? this is techinferno right hosting this very big topic?

just my 2 cents.

I would except I use a gaming laptop because I travel a lot... It would be madness lugging around some form of eGPU. Can't comment for those who don't.... I know a lot of guys who use a laptop when all it ever does is sit on a desk at home.

Hate to hi jack this thread guys but for all of ya'll who does not a problem shelling out that much money in these mobile GTX 970M and 980M, if graphics card performance, temp limits and vRAM size is somewhat a concern why not try to DIY eGPU 2.0 these little monsters with full desktop GTX 970 980? this is techinferno right hosting this very big topic?

just my 2 cents.

Hi!

If you really hated it, you`d not have done it ;-P

I guess - for me at last - this setup is not an option. I want to play with best performance during business trips.

Why don`t you open an extra thread?!

There will surely be some people who enjoy this workaround.

Best regards

phila

• Thumbs Up 1

LOL no it doesn't. That would be the much faster desktop GTX 980 not the 980M.

True. Depending on the games you choose (whom you belive) you will get

about 75% of the power of the 980 (Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M Tested, Benchmark Scores, 3DMark | Digital Trends)

or 81% of the Power of the 970 (AnandTech | MSI GT72 Dominator Pro: Performance Preview)

I posted both of those benchmarks on page 8.

Still the 980m is the first mobile chip that really impresses me - even without the magic of guys like svl7 and prema.

Best regards

phila

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi!

If you really hated it, you`d not have done it ;-P

I guess - for me at last - this setup is not an option. I want to play with best performance during business trips.

Why don`t you open an extra thread?!

There will surely be some people who enjoy this workaround.

Best regards

phila

There is no need boss it just came to my mind the idea of having a DIY eGPU for your monster laptops that I could not afford as of the moment yes I would love to have one and will surely rev it up more (is GPU power) to its limits =)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious, does anyone know if svl7 is working on modifying the vBIOS for the 970M/980M? I'm assuming NVidia still have the core locked down to a +135Mhz overclocking limit.

thats one thing i wouldnt really be worried about ;) itll be out soon enough, im sure :)

thats one thing i wouldnt really be worried about ;) itll be out soon enough, im sure :)

Yeah, I'd be interested to see the results, considering that the desktop cards overclock to about 1500Mhz I think there could be another 300 or more Mhz in these cards.

Yeah, I'd be interested to see the results, considering that the desktop cards overclock to about 1500Mhz I think there could be another 300 or more Mhz in these cards.

Robbo, the desktop cards can clock that high because they can use more power under load than even GK110. I wouldn't count on it.

Robbo, the desktop cards can clock that high because they can use more power under load than even GK110. I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on such high overclocking promise, but I think it's a possiblity - I'd imagine they'll use better binned silicon enabling higher Mhz for lower voltage - so with something like a voltage adjustable svl7 unlocked vBIOS I could imagine it getting quite close to desktop speeds.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on such high overclocking promise, but I think it's a possiblity - I'd imagine they'll use better binned silicon enabling higher Mhz for lower voltage - so with something like a voltage adjustable svl7 unlocked vBIOS I could imagine it getting quite close to desktop speeds.

On the other hand - same as your 670mx - my 680m can be overclocked to about 1020 from 720 due to the good chips and the work of svl7. So why not ;-)

Let`s see. I am a bit afraid as some peopla have had trouble flashing the msi notebooks - and it is exactly an msi that i ordered recently...

Best regards

phila

i for one am staying optimistic :) whatever the case, i plan to OC the crap out of every single component in my new rig :D

Yeah, I'd definitely like to hear the results you get from it; OC'ing's got to be done - it's free performance! :-)

Just for you guys, comparison of GTX 980M and GTX 970M in SLI
GPU Scaling is so great that it makes me want to cop a notebook with GTX 970M in SLI
Oh well still waiting for Skylake then it will be a total win for 2015 for a mini ITX gaming build LOL
Shut up and take my money already!
  • Thumbs Up 2