Maxwell GM204: GTX980M / GTX970M / GTX965M

So NVIDIA's 20nm yields turned out bad enough for them to change their 2014 roadmap and gift us these two new marbles ahead of the game and despite Intel's own challenge to mass produce Broadwell chips:

Ym5mSK2.jpg

GTX960M:

Core: 1097Mhz

Boost: 1176Mhz

vRAM: 1250Mhz

TDP (chip): 44W

GTX965M:

Core: 924Mhz

Boost: 950Mhz

TGP (package): 70W

TDP (chip): 56W

GTX970M:

Core: 924Mhz

Boost: 1038Mhz

TGP (package): 80W

TDP (chip): 65W

GTX980M:

Core: 1038Mhz

Boost: 1127Mhz :D

TGP (package): 103W

TDP (chip): 85W

I'll update this thread with more stuff later, but for now let's start dreaming!

NVIDIA Slides:

IMDDli2.jpg

OXk94Ke.jpg

W4mpUXO.jpg

HbMkVm7.jpg

6rhOyVq.jpg

Ixh02Eq.jpg

WYb3fBX.jpg

qUdguEz.jpg

SQSvfAd.jpg

bpWS8Lx.jpg

Few Benches:

ulgbFK6.jpg

JmNAWCI.jpg

iCYzulo.jpg

XZsqiwK.jpg

PDRF9PG.jpg

Clevo user may wanna check this out, too:

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/7721-imagine-new-clevo-models.html

I have a dumb question: In a laptop, Hdmi connector and Gpu are separate unlike the desktop gpu card. Putting a 980m on a P370SM-A, does it will allow to have an HDMI 2.0 output (because the card support it), or does it will be limited to HDMI1.4 output (connector wired to the motherboard) ?

I suspect you will be limited to HDMI 1.4.

Also in regards to cores enabled, I expect that the 980m will have 1664 shaders like the gtx 970. That way 6 months from now they can release a fully enabled gm204 with 2048 shaders when big maxwell comes out for desktops.

I have a dumb question: In a laptop, Hdmi connector and Gpu are separate unlike the desktop gpu card. Putting a 980m on a P370SM-A, does it will allow to have an HDMI 2.0 output (because the card support it), or does it will be limited to HDMI1.4 output (connector wired to the motherboard) ?

That is a good question. We will know after somebody does a transplant.

Man these Maxwells really shake up the gaming section of the GPU market!

The green team really wants to topple the red team,

damn look at the powe consumption of this Gigabyte GTX 980;

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming review - Hardware Setup | Power Consumption

I wonder what will be AMDs answer to this move

Man these Maxwells really shake up the gaming section of the GPU market!

The green team really wants to topple the red team,

damn look at the powe consumption of this Gigabyte GTX 980;

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming review - Hardware Setup | Power Consumption

I wonder what will be AMDs answer to this move

Likely nothing? I'm not sure they have a response other than those photos that linked of a single gpu with similar liquid cooling design to the R9 295x2. A single 28nm monster die that needs liquid cooling?

I hope the mobile versions are priced somewhat competitively.

• Founder

The 970M/980M will bury AMD once and for all in the mobile GPU business. They have nothing to answer it with and won't for a long long time. AMD as a whole right now is getting it's ass handed to it in every direction - if it didn't have those console contracts it would be hemorrhaging more money than it already does. Frankly I'm surprised the company hasn't filed for bankruptcy yet.

The 970M/980M will bury AMD once and for all in the mobile GPU business. They have nothing to answer it with and won't for a long long time. AMD as a whole right now is getting it's ass handed to it in every direction - if it didn't have those console contracts it would be hemorrhaging more money than it already does. Frankly I'm surprised the company hasn't filed for bankruptcy yet.

Hmm I don't think so, maybe what is left of them as of now is to lower prices of GPUs despite the "High Demand" for Mining and Gaming, hell I want to see an R9 290X @ $280 bucks LOL or an R9 280 @ $200 bucks and would do a crossfire ASAP LOL, they might still have some tricks hidden under their sleeves..poor Red Team

Don't know if this is just rumor but notebookcheck says that the GTX980M will be announced the first of october: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Models tested on 3Dmark

Clevo P370SM-A (980m SLI/ 980m/ 970m SLI/ 970m ) Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P370SM-A

Clevo P150SM-A (980m/970m) Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P15SM-A/SM1-A

Clevo P170SM-A (980m/970m) Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7-4940MX CPU @ 3.10GHz,Notebook P17SM-A

Clevo P650SE (970m) Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7,Notebook P650SE A new slim 15 inch model by Clevo

Clevo P750ZM ? (970m) http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2701658 unknown model yet

Gigabyte P35V3 (980m) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8680916

Gigabyte P37 (970m) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8604241

Gigabyte P34V3 (970m) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8682042

Asus GX500JMC - GTX 980M http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2760570

Models on the leaked slide

MSI GS60 - GTX 970M

MSI GT72 - GTX980M

Asus G751JY - GTX 980M

Aorus x7 (970m x2 SLI)

This sounds truly great for nvidia, and another bad news for AMD sorta :P. They'll have nothing to put against that, but that company is just too big to go bankrupt anyway.

Im very delighted to see though that there are more innovations coming our way.

Don't know if this is just rumor but notebookcheck says that the GTX980M will be announced the first of october: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

This would be too sweet... I really was disappointed when nVidia made a big "boohai" about gtx980/970 on their Game24 event and did not netion the mobile Versions (except those slides) - even though Maxwell seems to be a fantastic cmobile gpu; especially in terms of FPS/Powerconsumption.

Best regards

phila

• Thumbs Up 1

So what will happen with the notebooks and buyers for mobilr cards with 880M something? Early adopters dilemma?

Might be... Although I would call it late adopters dilemma. As it was obvious that a new and more powerful card would come up after the second refresh sooner (or later). I felt the same when my 580m (former 485m, former 480m) was followed up by the 680m. I`d rather buy the fist issue of a card and use take advantage of the ocing potential (with the help of svl7 and the other members here) than buy the second or third rebrand.

best regards

phila

You guys are looking bored. :sleeping:

Added some basic GTX980M info. So how do you guys like a stock Turbo Boost of 1127Mhz...guess we will see some 14xxMhz+ from this bad boy, once we are done with the chip. ;)

Looks like this time we may need to pencil mod (overvolt) the vRAM to play catch up. :woot:

Added some basic GTX980M info. So how do you guys like a stock Turbo Boost of 1127Mhz...guess we will see some 14xxMhz+ from this bad boy, once we are done with the chip. ;)

Looks like this time we may need to pencil mod (overvolt) the vRAM to play catch up. :woot:

Do you have a link to this pencil mod? I have searched for this before and found nothing specific for my 880M.

You guys are looking bored. :sleeping:

Simply true!

...how do you guys like a stock Turbo Boost of 1127Mhz...;)

Stock?! You`re serious about this one?!

Do you have a link to this pencil mod? I have searched for this before and found nothing specific for my 880M.

Not entirely sure, but I guess what Prema meant was, that they/we/one has/have to manually overvolt (pencil mod) VRAM in order to fully profit from the potential the 980m seems to offer, as the possible frequency of the GPU could be bottlenecked by the VRAM.

Check out this example of pencil modding below. You use graphite to make the lead cary more voltage:

Best regards

phila