IMAGINE: NEW Clevo Models

What GPU / CPU / LCD combination do you want?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What GPU / CPU / LCD combination do you want?

• GTX980M
    • GTX970M
    • 4702HQ
    • 4710HQ
    • 4770HQ
    • 4870HQ
    • 4980HQ
    • FHD (1920x1080)
    • WQHD+ (2880x1620)
    • QFHD (3840x2160)

I think for you Mr.Fox, p375sm-a or p570wm looks good.

p375sm-a with 4930 or 4940mx and 980m sli. p570wm with 6 core CPU or even 8 core and 980m sli.

These two are the high-end laptop from clevo.

P770zm or p771zm is a single GPU laptop with desktop CPU and from what I heard from Korean clevo resellers, they are having a hard time to cool 4790k (which is the best CPU for it at the moment) at stock clock. I dont think you, the master of laptop, would like it.

Yeah, I know you're right. I'm going to hold out a bit longer to see if svl7 can get the 980M vBIOS working for the M18xR2 because that machine will be truly wicked with 980M SLI. If that doesn't work out I am going to have to either go with a P570WM3 or wait to see if Clevo releases an X99 equivalent to the P570WM3. I would prefer the former rather than the latter because it will be the most amazing machine in the world with a mobile XM CPU and save me more than $3,000 by simply upgrading what I already have. That would also give me the opportunity to upgrade my M18xR1 with the hand-me-down 780M SLI for free, so that's really huge bang for buck right there.

I'm also hesitant to pull the trigger on a P570WM3 because it would suck to pay $4500 for 4930K and 980M SLI only to find an option surface in a few months with 5960X and 980M SLI. I wish we had a definitive answer from Clevo if they are going to do that and a timeline for it, then waiting would be really easy.

- - - Updated - - -

btw, nice rant fox! :40_002:
Gracias, amigo. :47_002:

that cooling is stunning

i m asking myself if its possible to delid the cpu and just use it without a heatspreader...we will se i think it could be qite possible. that would be reallly awesome.

i read that it will have 2 fan cooling, i d rather have the 3 fan cooling of the other clevor series, as i think it gets some great headroom for gpu oc.... we will see we will see^^

tbh...i would have chosen a desktop gpu and a laptop cpu because i never felt the need of a faster cpu with my 3920xm, and tbh again i only chose the 3920xm because i like overclocking and playing around. i just couldn t stand to have so few options in the xtu :D

ah! new question, does some1 know if it will be possible to OC k-cpu s anyways?? because clevo normally doesn t let us OC the XM cpus. prema made that possible...

mmmmm thats not quite correct. as far as i know intel XTU functionality is only given on specific models, e.g. the 15 inch models usually have to be unlocked with XM cpus, whereas the 17 inchers have native overclocking capabilities (correct me if im wrong please) in any case, im not really worried about oc ability, even if we dont have this option at stock, prema will definitely make it possible for us ;) aint that right buddy? :D

as for cpu delidding, im also gonna head down that road in all probability. i dont think its necessary to discard the IHS though, it should suffice to just swap the crappy stock Intel TIM with liquid ultra, re-install the IHS and then overclock away :)

desktop GPU in a laptop, phsew... well theoretically it would be possible, seeing as SLI machines are capable of cooling 200W of GPU power ;) on the other hand, its nice to have a future-proof desktop cpu that gives u enough headroom for future gens of GPUs to stretch their legs. pretty important if u ask me, especially considering that the 4710HQ has already been reported to be bottlenecking the 980M in some games.

mhm but those machines should be oc able without the help of a community, thats why i pay money for a laptop.

eventhough its very plesant that prema does the work.

the design with 2 gpu fans would surely be sufficent to cool a desktop gtx 970 with its ~160W,

as for the cpu delidding, imho it doesn t make that much sense to delidd it put the paste on it put the spreader on it and put paste on the spreader.

in the first place the heat spreader was thought to protect the cpu from mechanical forces....but that is only for people that dont know what their doing, i never had problem with cpu s without the spreader.

nowadays tower coolers r designed for those spreaders. what i mean is, if we had a vapor chamber in the bottom of a tower cooler it would be easy to cool a cpu without the spreader. but those tower coolers r designed for the bigger surface of the spreader so if you leave the spreader away you will end up just having a few heatpipes having contact with the actual die. ...same problem with custom r9 290x coolers which were designed for the much bigger kepler die.

the laptop sink shouldnt have that problem as it has a copper bottom plate itself, spreading the heat so it would be sure a mesurable gap if you could leave the spreader away.

if i get such a machine i will sure check it out and i also hope some other guys will do so too.

but again,

im not quite sure if i wont keep my p170em for mobile gaming and get me a gaming tower for my home with dual graphics (r9 390x or GTX980ti )and 4k 28" monitor because i see more benefits with the desktop right now.

maybe a 4710qm limits the gtx 980m...but i wonder when its actually limiting, if u take a modern game with highest possible resolution and details and msaa and so on , im pretty sure the gpu will still limit the max fps

and otherwise the 4710qm is the slowest i7 out there, a 48xxqm will already be able to be oc-ed by 4mulitipliers, and i give u guarantee it wount limit the gpu.

P751ZM INSIDES: (Just bringing this over from NBR. Thanks to jaybee and his mySn rep)

2014-11-2511.54.48cffv6.jpg

As far as the black paint is not graphene based, such heatsinks-heatpipes combination has no right to work well. :suspicion:

i think he means that any extra surface layer added to the heatpipes (e.g. to change their visuals) diminishes their ability to efficiently transfer heat?

btw chap, of course im aware that there are faster cpus out there than the 4710HQ, but the point is that a current(!) quadcore cpu with hyperthreading running at 3.5 ghz boost clocks will already show bottleneck signs in some games when paired with the 980M on max settings (head over to NBR and check HTWingnuts recent reviews for details), so in order to have some headroom for a potential nextgen gpu upgrade it sure is good to have some extra cpu power under the hood, that not just 5-10% over the current "minimum" (that being the 4710HQ in this case), but rather 30%+ ;)

i see your point, but as i said the 4800qm will already be sufficient. as most of the time the gpu is not upgradeable the gpu will sure limit with the next generation of games.

even with a 2920xm you would be really fine, cpu power is at some point just not needed

for example, my oced 7970m was able to render bf3 in ultra with all maxed out, bf4 on the other hand is only in high really playable, thats why every1 with a p1xxem is looking desperatly for a 780m/880m/970m/980m

all my cpu power is unused.

so my point is, it would be much nicer to have a limiting cpu, as its easy changeable to a more powerful cpu but the gpu is always the weak part. and tbh. as great as the 980m is, there are already games which this gpu will limit.

with the option of 2k/4k displays its already way to weak.

sadly we have to wait so long for the 20nm, as the laptop gpu s would really benefit

• 2 months later...

I am sure somebody already mentioned this, but why no HM97 chipsets yet ? I would like that for sure. Other than that, like many other road warriors I do not appreciate the soldered components of the 65xse/sg, and I dont like that it still uses the hm87 chipset.... And about the p75xzm models, I can see all the positives of this laptop, but as I have seen commented on other forums, why a desktop processor ? To cut costs ? And why no optimus but still they are making the 15" thinner ? I mean, for those out out there who want to go all out - why not a big 17, 18 or 20" ? That battery time is a joke..... I am sorry to rehash old questions and worries but I would like an updated igpu and chipset for desktop- and office tasks on the go + the 980m 8GB for 3d, rendering, gaming and workstation 11 2GB vram vm's! You ask me for my opinion, there it is...

Different cable, not different connector...Clevo just usually uses propitiatory cables by making use out of the reserved PINs on 30PIN connector so that they don't need the regular 40PIN ones...

Corrected your post. ;)

There are no different motherboards regarding M.2, spec is the same for all of them.

Only SG models support 9mm + 7mm 2.5" drives, while the SE only two 7mm or a single 9mm (because of height)

I own the P651SE, currently with plextor PX-256M6G-2280. I am wondering if adding a pci-e x2 m.2 like PX-G256M6e M.2 2280 or pci-e x4 like samsung Samsung XP941 would allow me to install one OS on each drive and boot both or it is needed to use only one drive for booting and the other as storage.

Would you mind advicing?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see an edge-to-edge (bezel-less) display on something like the P650SE. The Dell XPS 13 made waves in the industry by doing it. A smaller footprint, and a very very cool looking laptop. I guess it would remove ~ 2" from the width, and 1" from the depth of the device. Not a huge amount?

• 3 weeks later...
I'd love to see an edge-to-edge (bezel-less) display on something like the P650SE. The Dell XPS 13 made waves in the industry by doing it. A smaller footprint, and a very very cool looking laptop. I guess it would remove ~ 2" from the width, and 1" from the depth of the device. Not a huge amount?

Man, I'm so with you on that. I hate these fat bezels. Especially on the P650SE 15.6" the bezel is overly big. Only Acer is worse...their 15.6" Nitro is 39cm wide, which is almost as wide as a 17.3".