IMAGINE: NEW Clevo Models

What GPU / CPU / LCD combination do you want?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What GPU / CPU / LCD combination do you want?

• GTX980M
    • GTX970M
    • 4702HQ
    • 4710HQ
    • 4770HQ
    • 4870HQ
    • 4980HQ
    • FHD (1920x1080)
    • WQHD+ (2880x1620)
    • QFHD (3840x2160)

A distance (long traces) is a problem (capacitance and resistance) for CPU-GPU line/bypass only
Define "line/bypass"? I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this.
but may have You heard something about the optoelectronics and optical fibers?
Huh? Where is this being used other than in very, very expensive military applications where EMI tolerance outside the system is the major reason?

I'm purposely trying not to entertain this ... "tangent."

Define "line/bypass"? I'm trying to figure out where you're going with this.

Huh? Where is this being used other than in very, very expensive military applications where EMI tolerance outside the system is the major reason?

I'm purposely trying not to entertain this ... "tangent."

Service manual for P1xxSM is available on this forum. Find a MXM diagram and check yourself.

Since two server motherboards could be connected by QPI, PCIe or Ethernet using optical fiber, rather you can do the same way to connect GPU and CPU. This is not technological or economical challenge, for military use only.

Oh really?! Show me such MoBo.

I would also be frustrated if I had cut to pieces the cooling system in my laptop, and then I found out that was enough to connect two radiators using a thermal conductive pad. Therefore, I forgive you.

Optical fiber or not, it does not matter. What matters is the wrong way to connect the thermal bridge in P750ZM.

Since two server motherboards could be connected by QPI, PCIe or Ethernet using optical fiber, rather you can do the same way to connect GPU and CPU.
I have never seen an optical Intel QPI solution, or AMD HTX for that matter. Again, I think you're confusing a lot of things here, and optical system interconnect requires some major changes ... far from commodity. Furthermore, there is still the issue of going from CPU pin-out through a PCB and back out an optical transceiver. So you're going to get noise regardless, at both ends.

As far as Ethernet, ah, no. We don't use Ethernet for things like this, let alone Infiniband came about for a reason. In fact, at most, Infiniband is more where one is going to find this. And it has more limitations. A general, optical system interconnect is very unlikely. You're not going to get the width required in the bus. It's not a viable solution for reducing EMF/EMI in the system interconnect.

Again, you're really reading into a lot of things, without understanding the problem.

This is not technological or economical challenge, for military use only.
Really? So Intel is producing a new optical socket? A new optical interconnect, right from the chip?

Again, Infiniband has been used here. But not to solve local PCB EMF/EMI issues. It's non-commodity to produce a true optical system interconnect with optical interfaces to processors and components.

• Thumbs Up 1

On PC motherboards PCIe slots are remote from the processor up to 15-25 centimeters (10") and works perfectly. Clevo certainly gave to cope with this problem.

Unnecessarily I got into a polemic regarding the use of fiber optics on the motherboard. This is not the topic of this thread. I have no desire to read more of your wisdom about it.

On PC motherboards PCIe slots are remote from the processor up to 15-25 centimeters (10") and works perfectly. Clevo certainly gave to cope with this problem.
The problem here is that you think Ethernet is like anything else, that there is no difference in signaling between an I/O Interconnect (PCIe) and a system interconnect (HT or QPI) and countless, endless, other assumptions. You should have never went there, because you are blowing past major, major differences in interfaes.
Unnecessarily I got into a polemic regarding the use of fiber optics on the motherboard. This is not the topic of this thread. I have no desire to read more of your wisdom about it.
Then don't go there in the first place. Your whole premise was that manufacturers could solve the real issues of EMF/EMI on PCBs by just adding a little optical. Anyone with even a little bit of layout, PCB let alone IC design, would immediately point out that the assumption of turning electrical traces into optical is easy and without issue.

The world uses optical almost entirely for 2-bit, asynchronous I/O communication that has a stack that is far, far removed from the wide, near instantaneous system interconnect between memory, CPU and GPU. The few applications that are otherwise are military, and largely for larger interconnect of systems where EMF/EMI issues result in catastrophic failures.

Anyone know if the Mythlogic 1614 Dia (Clevo P65XSX) uses the Sharp IGZO screen for 4K? Is there any seller for US for this particular model?

Really looking forward to:

i7-4870HQ/i7-4980HQ

GTX 980M

3 or 4K display with at least 70% matte.

MythLogic says they are offering a glossy IPS for their 4K. Rumor on another board is that it's the Sharp IGZO. There are various ways to get matte, including aftermarket screen covers.

why is the iris pro needed? is it for the 4k displays? otherwise i dont see any use for those devices as we all have a very powerful dgpu

i m really looking forward for the zm series. will be exiting how they perform and what options we will get

a zm with dual graphics would be a dream

im guessing a dual-gpu flagship with x99 chipset and desktop extreme cpu compatibility will be available sometime in spring ;) at least it wouldnt surprise me :P

u dont have to go with the iris pro, depends which cpu model u go for...

Don't hold your breath... ;)

Without a dual GPU monster with an Extreme Mobile or desktop X99 chipset and 8 core CPU there is no incentive for me to ever purchase another new laptop. There's no way in hell that I would be happy about spending money to downgrade to a single GPU laptop smaller than 17" but I'm totally satisfied with 1080p or 1440p for a laptop display. Any higher resolution than that on a 17" or 18" display is too miserable to try to use. I have used several laptops with QHD+ resolution and they suck even though the quality of the display image is amazing. Either the text is too tiny to read comfortably or you crank up the display scaling and make everything else look like crap just so the text is large enough to read comfortably. There is not a good way to configure things with super high resolutions on a small laptop display, and Windows 8/8.1 is even worse than Windows 7 in this regard because they removed so many valuable display configuration options.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, wait a minute. Whose idea was it to only include crappy HQ CPUs in the poll? There is no respectable CPU option to choose from for casting a vote?!?! Left out 4910MQ, 4940MX, 5930K and 5960X???

:Banane56:<<<< LOW TDP BGA-MOUNTED INTEL FILTH

Without a dual GPU monster with an Extreme Mobile or desktop X99 chipset and 8 core CPU there is no incentive for me to ever purchase another new laptop. There's no way in hell that I would be happy about spending money to downgrade to a single GPU laptop smaller than 17" but I'm totally satisfied with 1080p or 1440p for a laptop display. Any higher resolution than that on a 17" or 18" display is too miserable to try to use. I have used several laptops with QHD+ resolution and they suck even though the quality of the display image is amazing. Either the text is too tiny to read comfortably or you crank up the display scaling and make everything else look like crap just so the text is large enough to read comfortably. There is not a good way to configure things with super high resolutions on a small laptop display, and Windows 8/8.1 is even worse than Windows 7 in this regard because they removed so many valuable display configuration options.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, wait a minute. Whose idea was it to only include crappy HQ CPUs in the poll? There is no respectable CPU option to choose from for casting a vote?!?! Left out 4910MQ, 4940MX, 5930K and 5960X???

:Banane56:<<<< LOW TDP BGA-MOUNTED INTEL FILTH

I think for you Mr.Fox, p375sm-a or p570wm looks good.

p375sm-a with 4930 or 4940mx and 980m sli. p570wm with 6 core CPU or even 8 core and 980m sli.

These two are the high-end laptop from clevo.

P770zm or p771zm is a single GPU laptop with desktop CPU and from what I heard from Korean clevo resellers, they are having a hard time to cool 4790k (which is the best CPU for it at the moment) at stock clock. I dont think you, the master of laptop, would like it.

ohno, thats not good news from the korean clevo resellers.... :beated:

seems like delidding and exchanging the IHS TIM to liquid pro/ultra is becoming a must now :59:

btw, nice rant fox! :40_002:

Stock 4.4 haswell = 4790k

That's like more than 100w when the cpu is highly loaded. I dont know how you guys call it in English but 4790k must need to be "spreader-opened" to change the stock thermal grease to a nice one such as liquid pro.