2011 13" MBP + GTX780Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet III-D) + OSX10.9.4 [entzoe]

entzoe

Hello Guys, I would like to share my Sonnet III-D experience. So basically I bite the bullet. I bought an open-box Sonnet III-D for 700$. Sold my ASUS Gaming Monitor and purchased a refurbished 27 Apple Cinema Display. I used a female mini DVI to DisplayPort adapter to connect the Apple Cinema Display to the GPU. I really hate the washed out display of the ASUS monitor. Basically, I am an Apple Guy! LOL.

I returned my GTX 770 4GB and replaced with the GTX 780 Ti 3GB.

So here we go, I plug my GPU to Sonnet and ran the my Mac Mini, it was expected to work like a charm. Then, I tested my old MBP 13-inch 2011, Installed the CUDA drivers and NVIDIA drivers, and boom! :)

Basically the setup and guide is similar to my previous guide on Mac Mini using AkiTio [GUIDE] Mac Mini 2012 + GTX770@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX 10.9.4

Here are the photos and benchmark.

post-28502-14494998331169_thumb.jpg

post-28502-14494998330822_thumb.jpg

Plug-in my Thunderbolt display to the extra TB port in Sonnet. And the extend and mirror display function was fabulous!!!!!!!!

post-28502-14494998331409_thumb.jpg

The reason I purchase this Sonnet is because my frustration of the constant freezing of the AkiTio. I am still investigating why I do got the kernel panic from time to time. With the Sonnet III-D. I've been playing steam game (DOTA 2) the whole day today and the graphics was really really awesome under 2560x1440 high setting!!!! Performed some Adobe Premiere editing and some photoshop CS5 3D modeling. Never I experience any issue!!!

post-28502-14494998332079_thumb.jpg

So, am I crazy purchasing this setup? I don't know. I can just plug-in any entry level Mac laptop in this Sonnet could be one of my silly reason for now. I'll see if I can justify this purchase.

Happy Sunday fellows!

post-28502-14494998330636_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Awesome work! How about the distorted and greenish youtube videos on Safari? By the way, this has to have something to do with Apple's graphics layer, because on Chrome browser, youtube videos work fine with my Mac mini.

Everything works! That's the first thing that I test. I'm not sure what's going on. I think another one that I noticed is with the MBP the CUDA and NVIDIA web driver were not the latest when I got the greenish display in youtube.. I will try the AkiTio later. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I really love the Sonnet case, but…$$$

Are you going to mod the Sonnets PSU to get rid the Corsair? Sth like kryzaach did?

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7685-%5Bguide%5D-2013-11-macbook-air-titan%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-iii-d-osx-10-9-4-a.html

For now no. yeah the enclosure is cool.. But for the price you'll be really want to justify your purchase ...

• 2 weeks later...
Have you run this setup on Unigine Valley for at least a couple of hours? I'm thinking of throwing money into a III-D enclosure too if this is a truly stable option!

Yes very stable. Never got any kernel panic or freezing... I even run LuxMark and UniEngine high settings at the same time for 2 consecutive times. Play steam games(high setting 2550x1460) straight 3hrs.

- - - Updated - - -

@entzoe Can you use Macbook in OSX without external display?

Only If you use rMBP 2013 up (via optimus in Windows). Mac OS you need an external screen otherwise the internal GPU kicks in if you use MBP screen

• 1 month later...

Just had the LG 31 inch 31MU97 4K Monitor and the GTX 970 was able to drive this monitor! I have tried the Samsung 27 and Asus 28 monitor and this one just blew them away!

I am so loving it! playing games is just so good too!

There's a current issue on the resolution rendering on a 17:9 ratio compared with the regular 16:9. I don't care for that for now.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2011 13" MBP + GTX780Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (Sonnet III-D) + OSX10.9.4 [entzoe]