Lenovo Y500 GPU battery problem

Vrata

Hello everybody,

I have problem. When i plug out DC jack from my y500, gpu underclocks down to 135Mhz even if i set High performance. I sometimes want to play a game on battery, but almost any game is lagging due this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Vratislav Rusz

Hello everybody,

I have problem. When i plug out DC jack from my y500, gpu underclocks down to 135Mhz even if i set High performance. I sometimes want to play a game on battery, but almost any game is lagging due this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Vratislav Rusz

It's normal.

Battery can't provide enough power to GPU so GPU down clock itself by default when you're on battery and if you force the GPU to run at full speed on battery, it's likely that you notebook will shut off or your battery will be fried or explode.

Well if you want to force it. I used to see someone post that you can use nvidia inspector to force it.

It's normal.

Battery can't provide enough power to GPU so GPU down clock itself by default when you're on battery and if you force the GPU to run at full speed on battery, it's likely that you notebook will shut off or your battery will be fried or explode.

Well if you want to force it. I used to see someone post that you can use nvidia inspector to force it.

Battery doesn't last very long at all if you are doing anything intensive anyhow......almost have to have it plugged in to do anything worthwhile.

As everyone said before, it's just a matter of the GPU(s) just take too much power to even warrant using the battery.

I'm wanting to update to the custom BIOS so that I can use the integrated graphics while I'm on battery.

Modded BIOS won't give you access to iGPU, it's locked out at the hardware level.

As far as i know, it should be possible to utilize the GPU at full power while using the battery. Might cause more heat, and shorten its lifetime, but it should be possible. Im about to try it aswell.

It's not possible on this laptop. You can overclock the lower P-states a bit in Nvidia Inspector but you'll never get full power on battery.