M14x CPU Temperature

Hi all, I've been playing around with my new laptop and I tried to run GTA IV on 1600x900, all settings with auto configure(all high). I monitor my cpu temperature with CoreTemp 64bit and also overclock my GT555m to 750/1000 with EVGA. I noticed that my CPU core temperatures are really high and as far as I can tell it is not good. My GPU max temperature is around 75C. I noticed that there's only one fan underneath the laptop, which is on the left, can anyone tell me what's the component above the big 'hole' on the right side?

post-463-14494988119094_thumb.png

Any help is appreciated! =)

EDIT: Just remembered I was converting songs on iTunes in the background, but still, my normal core temperature is around 50C =/

EDIT again: I played again for 30 mins and the core temps are climbing as above, max temperature reached is 97C, which is only 3C away from Tjmax.

Edited by louis198920

@OP- I can tell you to repaste and check heat sync screws but in truth I would get Alienware on the horn right away and allow them to do it. Let them know that you expect it to operate around 80-85c which is where most m14s at 100 percent utilization are at. Good luck! StevenX

How new is your laptop? It does take time to burn in. When I first got mine it would hit 92-95 while playing Starcraft 2. I propped </SPAN></SPAN>the back up with some small books to help it circulate for the first few weeks. Now it only gets into hi 80's on flat surface. But still could be a bad paste job as Jimbo said, just thought I would give my two cents

I just called technical support and after running the diagnostics blah blah blah, they said the hardware is fine and ask me to continue to monitor the situation. So I was like 'So I only call when my system shutdowns due to overheat?', he said yes >.> the reason he's not providing support is because he said CoreTemp is a 3rd party application and may not be accurate. So guess I'll just use the thing till it dies and call them up again >.>

@OP i know where you are coming from, my 14x gets to over 100*c on at least 2 cores when i play gta 4. i am getting a new mobo from dell and if this happens again i will demand that a new paste job is done. ive had my m14x actually hit TJ max after about 20mins. the system just shuts off. (i posted thread on here)

see you are using a cooler i am going air. i have nothing save for the desk lol. ive since raised the laptop off the desk about .85in and teh temps are at about 89 -95*c so that new mobo sould fix this.

if i were you, DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL AW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because the i7 processors are crazy-powerful. The GPU is the bottleneck in the m14x, so the cpu is really doing most of the heat. The gpu still gets hot though. These components were designed for 15.6 and 17 inch laptops! Not little 14 inch ones

• Thumbs Up 1

alright so i got the Mobo and wow the heat is low i mean REAL LOW by 10*c (we did a tim re-apply) and teh best part... they send me a 3gb GFX card :DDDDDDDDD upgrade! for free i <3 dell screw ups.

so if you get a new MoBo you should see less heat

Interesting usually paste is a factor not replacing the motherboard. Glad it worked out so well and awesome you got a new video card too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I should open a new thread or not, maybe if a moderator feels it's necessary then he/she can move my post to a new thread to save me typing it again.

Anyway, my problem is very much like this, except worse. I was playing Star Trek Online yesterday and I went to look at ThrottleStop after what appeared to be a freeze once, noticed my CPU temperatures across all cores had maxed out between 97-99C, which I know is very wrong.

Basically I understand the general consensus is to email/contact AW/Dell, but I have one or two questions. 1) I replaced the hard drive in my M14x, but unfortunately accidentally broke a clip on the left side of the ZIF on the board, the right clip is fine though and still holds the SATA cable in place, my concern is that will this be a problem for AW/Dell when they (I assume) will notice? 2) Can they do a repaste, or possibly new motherboard if I'm lucky, at my house? If so how long would you say it may typically take them to do either?

Because the i7 processors are crazy-powerful. The GPU is the bottleneck in the m14x, so the cpu is really doing most of the heat. The gpu still gets hot though. These components were designed for 15.6 and 17 inch laptops! Not little 14 inch ones

Well, considering the M14x is volumetrically equal to a 15.6" notebook i wouldn't say it's a little 14". And Acer Aspire TimelineX fits a full mobile quad i7 and GT 540m in a 13" package, and the LG P330 has quad i7 and 555m in a 13" package. But in any case, if the GPU is the bottleneck, it would be creating the most heat because it would be maxed out and the CPU wouldn't have to work as hard, at least to feed the GPU, because it'd be waiting on it.

But good to hear the mobo fixed the issue. If I end up going with an M14x I'll probably end up repasting anyhow. Dell's paste is usually crap and their pasting jobs have a lot to be desired.

i've compared it to 15.6 inch laptops, and it is certainly not comparable.

My sister has the Samsung QX40 or something, and its a regular thin and light, long battery, i5 14 inch laptop

The m14x is smaller, just thicker.

For the other laptops, yes they have a full i7, but they also have a much weaker GPU, producing lesss heat. We'll see how the Samsung P330 goes, because its not even released yet, and the one they had at Computex wasnt even working. It was just a model

M14x dimensions

13.3 x 10.2 x 1.5 = 203.5 cu in

6.5 lbs

HP DV6t

14.9 x 9.7 x 1.3 = 187.9 cu in

5.8 lbs

Sager NP5165

14.7 x 9.8 x 1.3 = 187.3 cu in

5.7 lbs

M14x is deeper just not as wide, but total volume is actually more than similar 15" laptops and heavier by 0.75 lbs. It's a mystery however why on the Sager they opted for the 128-bit 555m instead of 192-bit because TDP and power consumption should be about the same, plus only put in a 6-cell 62WHr battery.