M17x R3 with weird random 7970m issues

Zombiewarpig

So I upgraded my laptop a year ago from a 6970 to a 7970m. It is a dell version and one day my laptop while playing BF4 crashed. Weird thing is its not a BSOD but a random color. I reistalled the whole OS and rethermal pasted the cpu/gpu with diamond. Now it ran fine for weeks and then out of no where on the internet it went to a white screen. I rebooted and ran every test I could and even benchmarked the crap out of it with no issues. Then I had some windows updates and it restarted and went to a light blue screen. Lastnight I started up Rust and with in a minute it went to a pink screen. I ran it all night and today testing it and no crashes. WTF is going on? I am not OC it at all and it idles in the 40's and reaches like 70c max. I keep it on a dual 140mm cooler at all times and blow it out few times a month so its spotless.

Any Ideas on what I can do? I am pretty sure its the video card. Should I use a modded bios to undervolt or overvolt it?

No one has any suggestions?

Maybe post is to long?

1. Dell 7970m Upgrade in M17x R3

2. Random problem with screen turning one color ( Red, White, Blue )

3. Tests all come up as passed

4. Happens on internet or playing games at random

5. Goes weeks without issue

6. Can benchmark and its never happened during

Update: So I just ran Memtest and Furmark for an hour and no issues but earlier it crashed to a black screen this time on facebook.

Try an external screen first; if that's doing fine it's not the gpu, but either the lcd cable, the backlight or the lcd itself. If issue persists, try running one gpu at the time. A vbios mod would have to be an overvolt in your case, undervolt's just to consume less power (= less heat).

Try an external screen first; if that's doing fine it's not the gpu, but either the lcd cable, the backlight or the lcd itself. If issue persists, try running one gpu at the time. A vbios mod would have to be an overvolt in your case, undervolt's just to consume less power (= less heat).

Thanks for the response and I will try the external monitor test tonight. Its a 17 so I only have one gpu and set to peg in the bios. Ran furmark lasnight and gpu never went over 74c and stayed around 71c with no issues.

So I downloaded the 1075v 900/1300 bios and have not had a crash yet. So I am worried that this two year old card is tired and now it needs more voltage to run proper. I would imagine its on borrowed time. Any clue why this would fix it and should I be looking for a new card?

Thanks

Sounds like degraded soldering, seen more posts on this issue. Some reported improvements by baking the card (oven trick), you could try that, but as long as temperatures are still acceptable with the higher voltage ... not worth the risk until you're forced to run at voltages that max. out into the 90°Cs. Baking resolders all connections, including those that were perfectly fine.

The temps are still good. I am at 45 - 48c idle and 57c - 70c gaming with no crashing still. I ran a mem test on the gpu and it goes into the black screen before the end of the test so I am sure its a ram chip as the core is solid. I watched some videos on resoldering those by hand and it looked like a lot of work. I am tempted to sell it on Ebay as is with full disclosure of the situation to try and recoop what I can for a new one which is around $300 so I am only out a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks for the info and replies:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well seems like the same problem as i have (BSOD's) and i don't have few hundreds to spare, i will let it run it's course and will deal with getting new card postmortem :). Just to make it clear for me, overvolting helped your problem and it is stable for you? and you used 1.075v ?

Thanks in advance

Well seems like the same problem as i have (BSOD's) and i don't have few hundreds to spare, i will let it run it's course and will deal with getting new card postmortem :). Just to make it clear for me, overvolting helped your problem and it is stable for you? and you used 1.075v ?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

ounds to me the same issues that i had with a dying gtx 675m, that means a gpu upgrade will be recomended. And dont belive i didnt tried nothing. i tried everything, reflow, reballing, until a guy from dell told me that is posible from usage and from the shortcircuits under the gpu (due to thermal cycling) that some tranzistors from the gpu to die. he said that is well known that a gpu will work( display image) even with over 20% of the tranzistors dead, but it will overheat and not perform well in 3d aplications(also dx 11 rendering) because it cannot make use of all its tranzistors and eventualy will fail for good because more and more tranzistors will die because of heavy using the other tranzistors to compensate the ones that are dead.

• Thumbs Up 2