Thoughts of Lenovo Y510p

supasike

• 1 month later...
It was really great but unfortunately now in Battlefield 4 no idea why I constantly get DirectX Device HUNG error...Also Watch Dogs crashes for me...Besides that it's a awesome laptop, but I'm thinking about switching to Y50

I play BF4 and Watch Dogs aswell and 3 months ago I was experiencing same crashes but after I updated Nvidia drivers to newest now 344.48 and also flashed modified Vbios for Second nvidia ultrabay card, it stopped doing this error. Even before I repasted both graphics chips and processor it stoped crashing, after repaste, highest temperature while playing in SLI mode is 85 on both cards, processor temp is 90. I also changed screen refresh rate to 80Hz and it runs really good.

for other OSes you mean?

so far it has been a pain making it dual boot because of UEFI/EFI, but if you don't mind formatting and switching to legacy mode it's all easy then

Sent from my Nexus 4

I run Ubuntu normally in UEFI mod, at least I have UEFI only mode turned on in BIOS at it works normally. I used Rufus tool to make USB bootable in UEFI. I dont know about other distros but Ubuntu worked well for me. I suggest to make bootable USB with this handy tool called Rufus that formats your stick to boot in UEFI mode. Really easy to use as I tried many other tools to make USB stick bootable in UEFI and Rufus so far is big timesaver.

• 5 months later...

hey elementalfx, so i have this laptop too with 755M SLI, 4700MQ, and 8GB of RAM, and i do get this DXGI HUNG ERROR too and i did try to fix it by doing updating new drivers, update directx, microsoft visual c++, but nothin works, and i saw you have this problem too and you fix it by flashed modified Vbios for second card, my question is how to flash it properly? and what to do while it flash or not to do, i still beginner at this Vbios things, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the lenovo y510p with the gtx750m. ITs pretty good, still feels current after a year.

i dont really play graphic intensive games on laptop, but it will run casual games great. great for college students who also want to game on the side.

Once I get my egpu running it should be even better.

I've had 2 Y510ps over the past year. The first had dual GT755m but no m2. SSD port, it worked great in SLI even with 8.1 and never had any heat issues. I ended up replacing it with an Asus G70 but the Asus was too bulky so I went back to another Y510p but this time in had dual GT750m with a m2 SSD port. It worked great with windows 8 but as soon as I went to 8.1 with the OEM 2nd VBIOS update, the 2nd GPU was no longer working, even going back to 8 did not help. I ended up taking out the 2nd GPU and just using a 3rd HDD via an adapter.

My y510p I bought a year ago works fine. It was already shipped with windows 8.1 and no issues with the SLI configuration. Its power need is huge. battery and heavy power adaptor of 170 W! Also the notebook is very heavy!!! Also the wifi card is bad and I will change it. Also I think the HDD is a performance bottleneck, hence a SDD will improve performance significantly, I guess

But gaming with the notebook is great, you can play a lot of games with high settings. Also I think the price for the notebook is irresistible.

I have had my y410p for over a year and havent had any issues with it. Mine has the 750M card in it. The battery life obviously isnt great but I usually have mine plugged in anyway so its not a deal breaker for me. It still feels fast and current til this day. Unlike a lot of others, i havent had my wireless card disconnect much but i'm still going to upgrade the wireless card simply because i want to upgrade to AC wireless.

I have it and I like it. I would've rather had a strong single graphics card rather than the two running in SLI but I don't really need a CD drive anyways. Personally for me my only gripes would be the trackpad buttons don't have a dedicated button and the battery life isn't that great. The speakers sound great and I can't complain about the screen quality.

After throwing in a Crucial 512gb ssd (which doubled the battery life to 4.5 hours), the laptop is amazing. I'll be throwing in my wireless card soon, but the amount of power in this 15 inch beast is great. I run starcraft 2 on all ultra settings at 30 frames.

• 2 weeks later...

We have about a dozen of the Y510P's at my work place. They're all almost 2yrs old now and have been very reliable. We rent them out so they've been through some rough use. Some of the cases/housings are dented but haven't had any failures yet. The massive heatsinks are a big plus in my industry. They've managed to run all day in the smallest cabinets and enclosures with little to no issues. There are lots of reports of issues with the standard wifi card they come with, but we haven't had any issues. I'm actually in the process of upgrading all the wifi cards now in our Y510's and Y570's.

i've had my lenovo sli for 1 year now and i had some problems at the beggining with windows8 , as it was crappy so i installed win7 .Other thing is now i prefer single gpu's ,because of sluttering and waiting non existing sli profiles for some games..