Should I replace my W230ST with a Chromebook?

cyclimse

Question

Hi guys,

Recently had to send my W230ST (XMG P303) to RMA since my screen flickered and eventually turned off all the time. I initially bought this laptop back in December since I was going abroad for 8 months. Now that I'm back I realized I barely need it (I already have a gaming desktop, more powerful and more pleasant to use than a laptop). Hence I was thinking about getting a slimmer, lighter notebook for my classes. No need for fancy components, I'm looking for a good battery life and good screen.

Do you think I should wait for my W230st to come back from RMA and sell it? If so, what should I buy instead?

Don't need pre-installed OS btw.

Thanks!

PS: I'm a new member, so hello everyone :)

7 answers to this question

Hello and Welcome, I'm new as well.

Since you are back and enjoy your desktop more for gaming, I feel that you've already answered your question. I also own both a chromebook (acer c720) and W230ST. I also do a lot of traveling abroad and have the same reason why I bought the W230ST. Coincidentally, I've had problems with the W230ST. I've sent it in once for a motherboard replacement and now I'm out of warranty and I have to replace it again for a failed video card. But I'm in the process of upgrading the motherboard for the W230SS.

But to really answer your question, if you really don't use the ST I would just get rid of it, unless you are still going to travel abroad. I love the chromebook. The portability, great battery life, and speed is hard to beat especially for the price. Good luck.

Hi guys,

Recently had to send my W230ST (XMG P303) to RMA since my screen flickered and eventually turned off all the time. I initially bought this laptop back in December since I was going abroad for 8 months. Now that I'm back I realized I barely need it (I already have a gaming desktop, more powerful and more pleasant to use than a laptop). Hence I was thinking about getting a slimmer, lighter notebook for my classes. No need for fancy components, I'm looking for a good battery life and good screen.

Do you think I should wait for my W230st to come back from RMA and sell it? If so, what should I buy instead?

Don't need pre-installed OS btw.

Thanks!

PS: I'm a new member, so hello everyone :)

If you have a gaming desktop, a gaming laptop is total overkill and won't get used in my experience. The exceptions are: if you travel a lot or aren't at home a lot (assuming that's where your desktop is).

Basically, I would get the chromebook or something equally nice and small and light etc. that will do you for work/media/etc. when you're not at home and then game on your desktop :)

As for specific models, I don't know the chromebooks well as an australian, but I know quite a few people who run macbooks (or airs) with windows for the purpose you want. There are a lot of them about and second hand they can be ok value.

Other than that, lower end flagships (such as XPS, envy, samsung series 9(?) etc.) from big manufacturers are ok buys from time to time when there are sales. As for which is best, it really depends on your priorities, but again (more general rules), buying a low-end version of the high-end product is a good way to get something nice :)

The chromebooks have a very nice look to them. I would recommend you using chrome as chrome OS on a windows 8 machine before you make the shift. Just try to get a hang of what you will have and what you won't. For general use, I only use chrome. Only when I need to code or game that I need Windows or Ubuntu if I'm only coding. But for everything else I use Chrome. The browser I mean. So for you to know if you will be satisfied with the OS, just run chrome as Chrome OS on a windows 8 machine.

Stupid Geek Tricks: How to Turn a Windows 8 PC Into a Chromebook

Chromebook are a very good choice if you have access to very high-speed connection, or you'll struggle with everything you want to accomplish.

And if every software you need is also in the cloud.

Chromebooks unfortunately is not for everyone.

I just gave my chromebook away to my Aunt. She needed a computer for light internet surfing and email. For that purpose they are great. For anything else they are a doorstop, especially if you plan on using it with internet access. I prefer to have options. You paint yourself into a corner with a chromebook. Just my $0.02.