y580 Touchpad issues

rnt0

Hey guys,

I have my y580 that I bought refurbished from lenovo in US.

Thing is I live in Brazil, and they do not have support for this model over here, so RMA is not available

2 months from the day I bought it, the touchpad started to present some flickering and random stoppings,

I already did some research online and found out it is a common issue. recently it stopped at all.

I'm not sure what is failing, the touchpad, flat cable or some connector, any thoughts of where to look first?

• 1 month later...

I have y580 too, and my touchpad wasn't working well.

I installed the most recent synaptics driver, disabled special functions like pinch to zoom, chiral and twist rotate, and set to minimum palm checker.

I also installed TwoFingerScroll, and all worked perfectly,incredibly better than stock!

Link to TwoFingerScroll: TwoFingerScroll v1.0.7 update! (two finger scrolling done right! + more) | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

i had those problems in linux. for windows i got it working like described: install synaptics, disable advanced features.

using linux i got 2 finger scrolling out of the box (*buntu 14.04) but i'll have a look at TwoFingerScroll, thanks!

if you want to fix clicking in linux use the following commands (as root):

synclient FingerLow=32

synclient FingerHigh=40

this will make the mouse less jittery when clicking

I've got a Y500 and saw the exact same thing. There seem to be lots of reviews with this very problem. I fixed mine by removing the front keyboard and Touch Pad from the case. I did a little sanding on the plastic around the touchpad and haven't had an issue since.

I have y580 too, and my touchpad wasn't working well.

I installed the most recent synaptics driver, disabled special functions like pinch to zoom, chiral and twist rotate, and set to minimum palm checker.

I also installed , and all worked perfectly,incredibly better than stock!

Link to TwoFingerScroll: TwoFingerScroll v1.0.7 update! (two finger scrolling done right! + more) | TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News

Gonna Try this solution!! Thanks

I putted a folded paper under my touchpad to avoid the connector of disattaching, it solved the problem but the clicking is impossible.

Only tapping available.

I will disassembly everything and try to fix the original fixing.

Aparently all lenovo y500 series have this issues

I have same issue with my y500. Somebody from official lenovo forum found that lenovo made a mistake with isolating the touchpad and issue occurs with ELAN touchpads.

I removed the cooper piece for isolation and putted some isolating tape. No results.

Also I tryed sanding the plastic around, again, no results.

I guess the problem is in the flat cable or connectors. beacause now it works sometimes, and after a couple of minutes it stops. Suggestions?