The thermal paste and pads question.

jam97

I just wanted to check the thermal paste on the 2nd GPU, So I took off the heatsink then return it back immediately(the paste was wet).

Is it necessary to re-apply thermal paste and pads every time I take off the heatsink? Even if it's just for a few seconds? ?

Thank you,

The paste may have a bubble in it now which could cause poor cooling. You should always clean and re-apply paste when removing a heatsink. The old pads should be find.

OK, I inspected the temperature on both cards by using Piriform Speccy and they almost had the same temp.

post-21016-14494998270252_thumb.jpg

Do you think this is a good sign, so no need for a new paste?

In your opinion, what is the proper paste for lenovo Y510P?

Many Thanks,

Damn, those are some pretty high idle temps. I'm at about 40C on CPU and both GPU's. Do you live somewhere hot?

LOL 750M SLI with only the 768p screen. That's overkill. :D

Actually those temps are after GTA IV gaming for about 10 minutes.

You've got only 40C at idle, this is cool, specially for the CPU.

Mine is 45~50C with web browsing only!

Actually those temps are after GTA IV gaming for about 10 minutes.

You've got only 40C at idle, this is cool, specially for the CPU.

Mine is 45~50C with web browsing only!

Gotcha.

Regarding my CPU temps, I do have Ivy Bridge instead of Haswell, so... ;)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I have received GELID GC-Extreme Thermal paste and I must say I am impressed. I was worrying about funtionality of my y510p after I repasted as I havent done it before. I usually played BF4 on medium settings but still heating issues were causing lags and temperatures ranging from 90 to 98 degrees but after I repasted CPU, Main and Ultrabay GPU 755M SLI my temperatures dropped, ranging from 75-85 sometimes 90 and settings havent been changed in BF4. Playing experience is surely better than on stock thermal paste. When idle temps are pretty much same as before, sometimes I find it higher or maybe its just me being paranoid. Lenovo should invest in better quality thermal paste for sure. I was scared when I received my laptop and started playing and temperatures so high that I didnt needed heating to be turned on in my room when it was cold outside :D.