2011 Mac Mini + GTX780@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 [goalque]

This step-by-step guide has the same components as in my MacBook Pro 15” setup. The only different part is the Mac mini.

CONFIGURATION

• Mac mini (Mid 2011) 2.3Ghz dual-core Intel Core i5 / 8GB RAM / 256GB SSD / 1TB HDD
  • AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box
  • Silverstone Strider ST45SF-G 450W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply (v. 2.0)
  • Self made connector to power up PSU (“paperclip trick”)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB SC w/ EVGA ACX Cooler
  • Apple 2m Thunderbolt Cable

I followed these instructions to install SSD + HDD combination:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+Mac+Mini+Mid+2011+Dual+Hard+Drive+Kit/6634

INSTALLING WINDOWS

If you are planning to install Win8.1 on the secondary HDD/SSD, you need this:

Winclone 4 (Winclone)

I was able to install without Winclone by using diskpart commands, but the screen went black during the Boot Camp Support software's Intel HD graphics driver installation and again after every reboot. Winclone was an easy and quick solution.

1. Install a normal Win8.1 Boot Camp partition on Mac Mini's primary hard drive.

2. If you want to boot from the secondary hard drive, use Winclone to transfer the partition (I divided partitions 50/50). Otherwise you can skip this step.

Winclone Create a Boot Camp Partition

3. Boot into Windows partition all the eGPU stuff disconnected.

4. Install Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621 (Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621)

5. Shut down your Mac mini.

6. Power on the PSU and eGPU (choose one of the 3 power options described here).

7. Boot into Windows with the following display cabling:

Mac mini -> HDMI -> monitor

Mac mini -> TB -> eGPU

8. eGPU should be visible under the device manager / display adapters. If you can see only internal graphics, the Nvidia driver cannot be installed. Reboot and try again. When eGPU shows up on device manager, Install Nvidia driver 340.52.

9. After successful Nvidia driver install, shut down Mac mini, and restart.

10. After logged in, remove the HDMI plug from Mac mini to eGPU (be very careful so that not harm the GPU). You should have now this cabling:

Mac mini -> TB -> eGPU -> HDMI/DVI -> monitor

11. Disable Intel HD Graphics 3000 from the device manager/display adapters (right mouse click).

WARNING: If you do a straight reboot, you are forced to power off Mac mini from its power button, because login screen will never appear.

Always shut down the Mac mini first, and then restart with TB cable plugged in. In that way, the cable configuration described in step 10 should work every time. With a Samsung 840 Pro (256GB), Windows login screen showed up in 27 seconds via TB. OSX login screen appeared 7 seconds faster (entzoe has made a guide for OSX, which can be found here). Alt/option key cannot be used when HDMI is connected from eGPU to the monitor. If you need to select different than a default booting partition, switch HDMI back to the Mac mini's port.

PERFORMANCE

3DMark11 (graphics) 11438 (This is actually very close the graphics score 11832 @16Gbps with 15" MBPr). TB1 is not a big bottleneck here.

post-28870-14494998255317_thumb.png

post-28870-14494998254973_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey @goalque, guest what!

I might what to update your guide with the following without having to create a winclone. Credit goes to you on un-installing boot camp!

Note : this guide is only for mac mini that already have windows 8.1

1. Boot your mac mini to windows 8.1 with the following configuration (Mac Mini < HDMI > Monitor )

2. Un-install boot camp using the following Microsoft Fix It (Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled). This will re-start your windows 8.1

3. Download and Install BootCamp Support Software 5.1.5621 (Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621). Shutdown your mac mini

4. Setup your hardware with the following (Mac Mini < TB cable > AkiTio / GPU < HDMI / DVI > Monitor

5. Install your GPU driver!

6. You are ready to go!!!!!!!

post-28502-14494998256419_thumb.jpg

Here are my Benchmarks

3DMark:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8678386

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/3951150

post-28502-14494998256904_thumb.jpg

post-28502-14494998256669_thumb.jpg

I might what to update your guide with the following without having to create a winclone. Credit goes to you on un-installing boot camp!

Note : this guide is only for mac mini that already have windows 8.1

Thanks for sharing your benchmark results. What method did you use to install Win 8.1 on your Mac mini? Is it a standard Boot Camp installation? I tried it and also diskpart commands, but no success when installing on the secondary 500GB drive. The secondary drive might be a reason. I haven't tested installing Win8.1 on the 64GB SSD drive (OSX works well on it).

EDIT: I noticed that your internal graphics is not visible in the device manager / display adapters. I have both the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and GTX 780 listed there.

Hi all!

I just updated my instructions, and also updated my SSD and HDD (Samsung 840 Pro 256GB + ST1000LM024 1TB). The reason for previous installation problems was the secondary hard drive. Now it is completely plug and play.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have almost similar, but two black wires (Ground) and two yellow (+12V).

• 2 months later...

That is a very nice work. I have a Sapphire HD 7950 3GB laying around. So to start this project I need these items:

- AKiTiO Thunder2

- PSU

- PCIe riser

What is the setup schematic looks like? 2 six pin connector to GPU, power plug to PCIe riser, and connector to power up PSU? Am I correct? Please let me know. Thank you

That is a very nice work. I have a Sapphire HD 7950 3GB laying around. So to start this project I need these items:

- AKiTiO Thunder2

- PSU

- PCIe riser

What is the setup schematic looks like? 2 six pin connector to GPU, power plug to PCIe riser, and connector to power up PSU? Am I correct? Please let me know. Thank you

Thanks! I don't know if your GPU is compatible with AKiTiO, you may have better luck with Nvidia cards. Yes, this is a common eGPU setup with a powered riser (4pin molex from PSU), GTX780 has one 8pin and one 6pin power connector. You need to do that "paper clip trick" to power on PSU, a guide for this is here.

Thanks a lot for your answer. So with that being said. The purpose of the riser is to supply power to the PCIe GPU, so in this case with external PSU we won't need to connect power to Atikio box at all. Am I correct? And can you tell me which raiser do you preferred?

Thanks a lot for your answer. So with that being said. The purpose of the riser is to supply power to the PCIe GPU, so in this case with external PSU we won't need to connect power to Atikio box at all. Am I correct? And can you tell me which raiser do you preferred?

Yes, a powered riser (with two 12V wires + two ground wires) provides 75W to the golden fingers of the GPU and also enough power to the AKiTiO board + TB controller, you don't need the AKiTiO's power adapter at all. I bought the riser from eBay, and it has a capacitor.

You can alternatively try molex-to-barrel adapter (http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8317-%5Bguide%5D-making-molex-barrel-adapter.html#post113069) and attach the GPU directly to the x16 slot without a riser.