Innovation Cooling IC Diamond Giveaway/Survey

The chip is fairly narrow so I think a 3/4 line would be fine length wise
Okay thank you Andrew would HWINFO32/64 be okay as the monitoring software? As for load temps would readings from Wprime be okay with a run on 32m and 1024m... If we test gpu load is Furmark good for 10 minutes on burn test setting?

<meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"> Here is some general application info for desktop PC's for a 30mm X 30mm IHS - for rectangular type installations that vary from this you can just ratio the amount up or down to the new area

Application Notes -Amount of Applied Compound - FAQ

There is always some debate on amount of applied compound to use, our approach is based on a best to worst case scenario with a one size fits all so the user can experience best odds of a successful mount out of the gate without having to redo his mount.

Say that Intel has a spec of Flat and parallel // to .002. - At the extreme end you get something like the 2 images of the candidate below, to fill that gap/volume you need .05 ml volume of compound for a 30mm X 30mm area about the size of a grain of rice.

worstcase1.pngworstcase2.png

Our difference with the rice method comes from the other side of the equation The heat sink base, while many HS bases are good some can be off as much as the IHS and to cover the contingency of irregular contour on both sink & IHS and as few people lap to correct the problem (5%?)and fewer lap to perfection so we add another .05 ml for a total of 0.1ml.

Another factor associated with irregular contours is another mil or two layer of compound is added on the high spots depending on the pressure applied. To fill that gap we add another .05 ml for a total recommended amount of 0.15 ml which approx. equals our 5-5.5mm size bead on center.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE PEEL BACK THE LABEL TO SEE ML REGISTRATION MARKS AND USE 0.15-2ml EXCESS JUST SQUISHES OUT - I HAVE MEASURED THIS WITH A MICROMETER @ 50 PSI AND AT ROOM TEMP YOU REACH 95% OF THE BOND-LINE THICKNESS (BLT) IN TWO HOURS 99% OR MAYBE 1/2 DEGREE OVERNIGHT AFTER THE INITIAL 2 HOURS

Thermal compound is a volume application to fill gaps, not one of weight, liquid spread-ability etc. and our opinion is that whatever the compound you still need the equivalent volume to close that gap.

Flatnessnote.jpg

Additionally it is important to apply enough compound, because as the paste thins it spreads it reaches a maximum zone where air is reformed into the paste application between the sink and his leading to decreased performance and early compound failure. This effect is well-documented and known as Laplacian Growth AKA cusp formation and viscous fingering.

Fast Simulation of Laplacian Growth

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

Laplacian Growth in thermal compounds

lineclamped.JPG

3.JPG

Laplacian Growth - a good visual explanation

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/pitp/archives/theory/2004talks/wiegmann.pdf

Application

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

I received my tubes as well, so on Tuesday I will write an article about it that will explain and define the whole process (programs, methodology, pictures, etc..)

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks Stam I'll follow your article so we get some consistency with the test procedure. I plan to start on a laptop with gt130m and q9000 like pictured above then my M18x incoming and a laptop with hd2600m and core 2 duo 2ghz. If you have any suggestions for getting readings from a PentiumD 3.4ghz i could get one from that as i do not know a way to get thermals from that chipset but have a functioning test tower with one.

• Founder

I have finished testing on a Dell Vostro 1520 (T6670 @ 2.20GHz) that I borrowed from a friend to do some testing with the paste, the difference between stock paste and ICD 24 under load using wprime 1.55 the 1024M (2 threads) was 10C lower for core 1 and 13C for core 2.

I will test it on another Gateway laptop I borrowed and then I will proceed with my R2.

• Founder

I use ThrottleStop to monitor temps at the same time cause I saw that there were instances where there was a difference of 1C+- between them so instead of choosing one over the other I used both at the same time. I have taken screenshots so you will see.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

I have finished with the testing in all 3 laptops, I have taken pics and screenshots, will start writing the guide once I am done with the M18x review tonight

I have finished with the testing in all 3 laptops, I have taken pics and screenshots, will start writing the guide once I am done with the M18x review tonight

Self employed? Only self employed people work 18 hour days, Hell I sometimes work 20 otherwise how does one expect to get ahead?:)

• Founder
Self employed? Only self employed people work 18 hour days, Hell I sometimes work 20 otherwise how does one expect to get ahead?:)

^^(kinda complicated):D

This is a teaser, Dell Vostro 1520 saw a 10C and 13C decrease in temps for core 1 and core 2 respectively under load (wprime 1.55 1024M using 2 threads)

_______Stock__________IC Diamond 24___

post-3-14494988129632_thumb.png

post-3-14494988130132_thumb.png

• Founder

@StamatisX, did you also clean the vents while changing the paste ? Was the old paste real old ? Maybe a better comparison would be a freshly applied XXX paste vs IC Diamond ? It just seems a bit unfair to compare an old paste job to a fresh paste.

Also, did you experience the surface scratching that was mentioned earlier ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

no the vents were actually clean, didn't have to do it but the stock paste was old indeed. I have two other laptops that I used and one of them is my R2 with the Arctic Cooling MX-4. I have taken lots of pics so you will see everything there.

[MENTION=465]Innovation Cooling[/MENTION] : Sent you an email, now that I have my GPU working again I really like to test IC Diamond.

Some background

Paste impressions:

Poor mounting pressure

img5700ip1.jpg

good mounting pressure & good contact - difference between mounts -6 C - light glaze indicates good pressure.

img5704wb3.jpg

Another example - Contact paper sample with paste impression of the same mount Light glaze on center indicates good contact and pressure in that area

attachment.php?attachmentid=77422&stc=1&d=1209309773

Another example

f9postlappeaspreadTRUE.jpg

f9edgelappressuretest2.jpg

ON MY HONOR IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE COMPOUND I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO TEST AND POST MY RESULTS I have a ES 6970m with 1120 shaders, similar to the 6990m. I would also like some to test out. I am in the UK. Will also send email :)

ON MY HONOR IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE COMPOUND I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO TEST AND POST MY RESULTS:

getting a new unit in at the end of the month, so i can do a direct comparison between stock paste and icd. sending email now.