Innovation Cooling IC Diamond Giveaway/Survey

ON MY HONOR IN EXCHANGE FOR FREE COMPOUND I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO TEST AND POST MY RESULTS:

I have both the M17xR3(i7-2820qm/6970m) and an XPS 14(i7-720qm/425m) that I can test it on. Sending an email now.

So this is still going on? If so once I get my new mailing address, i'd be interested in trying it out, and testing it. We all know I like to heat up some thermal paste :P

• Founder

Just received a new XPS 15z. Would be interested in doing a repaste and measuring before/after temps. Will PM for info.

• Founder

Trust me, it's worth the waiting... I run Vantage, CPU tests only, just to check how the temperatures are holding since I applied ICD and I am hitting 21K with the laptop just sitting on the cryo lx and my temps maxed out at 96C when before I was hitting 100 C (OCed at 3.6GHz 96/94 TDP/TDC).

• Thumbs Up 3

I am doing a reliability study and looking for people to do a simple Contact & Pressure (C/P) test to link to their recorded temperatures - two pieces of plastic paper mount sink as you would normally would release and remove throw away blank then mail back self addressed envelope for lab analysis. Lots of good info % contact area, psi are key and can be linked to long term reliability as quoted below. Laptops are about the toughest thermal environment out there and this would be useful data to have

post-465-14494988363001_thumb.png

N

o IHS on this one, so direct contact area is smaller so the watt density is higher.

Kind of like here

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...&postcount=285

The compound had an early failure

The C/P image above is from a laptop, our first to date. We are in the early stages of gathering long term data on the laptops and you have real diverse mix of temperature experiences some of the compounds tested here only last from a few weeks to a year. IC Diamond seems OK at a year to about a year and half give or take with only one at 2 years contrasted with a guy over at Anandtech who is 4 years on ICD on a PC.

The increased watt density is a killer and I suspect the 20% early failures are low C/P in numbers something like the Pareto principle aka the 80-20 rule

I was taking a look at some published information on laptop reliability linked below and a rough analysis might be with their 30% failure rate in 3years approx 1/3 of that due to breakage and about 2/3 or 20% of all laptops is a component failure probably due in large part to high thermal loads - Heat is number one enemy of electronics.

After a re-paste on a PC in the overclockers forums you have an average of 61C after a repaste and the laptops so far average 71 C after a re-paste. I think the extra 10C is the dividing line, in the PC market you may see a few degrees decline and here and there you get the rare 15 -20 C degree improvement but generally most of those are mount related issues unless the compound has been installed a couple of years or more.

The PC failures were generally less than half laptops. The prevalence of early temperature creep in laptops is quite surprising along with the relatively large number of 85 - 90 C systems reported---- 25 to 30 C higher than the PC's, if you have a weak component those kinds of temps have a good chance of killing it. As a kind of general recommendation to avoid being the 1 in 5 failures and as a good maintenance procedure has been suggested here blowing the dust out regularly, I would add a secondary laptop cooler as well as changing the compound every-time it creeps up 10 C past the initial install temps. The cooler it is and the longer time periods it remains cool, the odds that longer system life increases.

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/S...ility_1109.pdf

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...uaretrade3.jpg

Gartner Says Annual Failure Rates of PCs Are Improving, but Manufacturers Can Do Better

• Founder

Andrew I can do this test, I am curious to find out how much extra pressure I apply with the retention mod on my CPU and why there is always one core that is off, so let me know if you need another email with my address

Andrew I can do this test, I am curious to find out how much extra pressure I apply with the retention mod on my CPU and why there is always one core that is off, so let me know if you need another email with my address

remember in some of my 920xm benches i had a similar problem with one core, and one core on this 2920xm is off too.

• Founder

I think in your case it is because Turbo boost kicks in higher only in one core, in my case with ThrottleStop Turbo boost is the same on all 4 cores so the temperatures should be distributed evenly.

Okay I can see that for sure...so not my 2920 but my 920 from the R2 had one core in 8 thread tests that got hotter than the rest, it was noticeable in the screenshot I posted in the R2 benchmark thread.

Lots of good info obtained. Raw images reveal much as well as pictures of paste impressions

I cannot find the exact full die size but then have not looked too hard yet but initially pressure is very good as I suspected it would be and contact appears to be around 50% - 60%, 9/10 th's of a centimeter

So basically you have half the area for dissipating 35W - +2X the thermal stress on a compound in an environment that is already warmer than most to begin with, little wonder why people are experiencing accelerated compound degradation.

I currently have 3 people on tap for C/P testing it would be nice to get a broader profile of 20 to 30 and to see how things trend.

NOTEBOOKRAWIMAGE1.png

PressureStatistics1.png

imageslaptopCP

PseudocolorRepresentationAndPressureStatistics1.png

PressureHistogram1.png

LineScan.png

LineProfile1.png

3DImage1.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Great I will put together some test kits the weekend and send out Monday, you are pretty close to us so you will probably get it Tues. or Wed.

Stock pressure is pretty good from first sample and would be interesting to see if you are off the scale for this paper with the mod.

• Founder

Yes indeed I am pretty close, one hour and a half drive actually. One question though, are instructions included with the test kit?

My only concern is that I cannot provide you stock pressure data since the changes to the heatsink are irreversible. Also this mod requires the laptop to be on for at least half an hour while I adjust each screw separately in order to get the maximum conduct area and I guess there will be no thermal paste between the two surfaces so I will probably have to shut down the laptop every couple of minutes so it won't overheat.

Hey Andrew I have had my new M18x for a few and I should finally have time in the next couple days to repaste both gpus and the cpu with the IC DIAMOND. Looking forward to seeing the difference my ram modules get hot on my gpus and I'm going to replace the pads with the Diamond as StamatisX did.

Andrew tonight I'll be doing the repasting, I am willing to do the CP test on a Dell Studio 15 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo... If that is sufficient for more data in your study I'd gladly do a CP impression test on the cpu Die for you. I just didn't want to do that with my M18x because I only wanted to open it once since I don't trust myself opening it multiple times.

Andrew tonight I'll be doing the repasting, I am willing to do the CP test on a Dell Studio 15 laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo... If that is sufficient for more data in your study I'd gladly do a CP impression test on the cpu Die for you. I just didn't want to do that with my M18x because I only wanted to open it once since I don't trust myself opening it multiple times.

Terrific! = send me your address at [email protected] with CP in the subject line