Upgrading G75VW-TH71 LCD screen

buggerz

I have a G75VW-TH71 with a 1600x900 matte display. I was thinking of maybe buying one online and upgrading the display to an amazing 1920x1080 display. As far as I can tell, this would work perfectly, and the connections are compatible. Has anyone here done such a thing, or at least has similar experience? Would this work correctly, and are there any pitfalls I'm unaware of? I was looking at these earlier. They seem to be what I want.

Screen for ASUS G75VW-TH71. Replacement Laptop LCD Screens

Hi! You will need a 40pin 17.3" Lcd but first you need to locate where is a connector on your current lcd. I mean it can be left or right sided and if you chose wrong one you will not reach to it with yours display cable.

P.S. This advice is only for non 3D model if yours is 3D you'll need a 17.3" 3D 60pin LCD.

Would this work correctly, and are there any pitfalls in unaware of?
Yes, it will work fine. There could have been several pitfalls, but none apply;

1. Correct cable, but the 900p and 1080p are both 2-channel types, so you're good.
  2. GPU support of higher resolution, no issues here.
  3. As mentioned by code; correct location of the connector, but those are all bottom-left.

No issues then, except for the "an amazing 1920x1080 display" ... not all 1080p screen are, in fact, amazing. LCD's are not created equal, there's a great variety in quality to choose from (and that site will ship any compatible model they happen to have in stock). If you don't care; fine, but you may be in for a disappointment if your old 900p turns out to be a superior build than the higher resolution 1080p.

If, however, you opt for not only a higher-resolution, but also a better image (or, at the very least, just as good); check HWiNFO to find out what model you currently have and look it up in this list. Consider this; most or all of those 15 will fit your laptop (provided the connector's location is bottom-left, but it usually is). So you have choice of 3 brands (AUO, LG and Chimei Innolux) and maximum contrast can vary anywhere from 300:1 up to 650:1 and viewing angles from 40° to 70° (brightness varies only 200:1-220:1). Let's say you've been lucky and received that 650:1 900p model; you have 5 models to choose from with the 1080p (assuming matte). Chance is therefore 40% you'll receive a ~50% lower contrast screen; 2 out of 5 have merely 400:1 (technically there's more to this than just manufacturer's report, but this is not yet relevant to the issue).

Now, NBC has done reviews of 2 of those 5 models; the LG LP173WF1-TLB5 and the Chimei N173HGE-L11. The latter is ubiquitous (6000+ stock) and so likely the one you'd receive ordering from that site. So let's compare their respective sRGB colour space:

N173HGE-L11

post-15612-14494998270501_thumb.jpg

LP173WF1-TLB5

post-15612-14494998270711_thumb.gif

To be certain; that's a difference you'll notice straight away had they been placed side-by-side. To boot; the LG has 320 and the Chimei only 240 cd/m² average brightness (yet both are rated 300 by their manufacturer's spec. sheets). Both are rated 'high-gamut' too (the sRGB thing) at 72% NTSC, but this does not list which colours are supported; colours outside sRGB but within NTSC are counted, yet real-life use is practically sRGB only, unless you're in the printing industry, but then you'd want Adobe RGB as this, non-coincidentally, completely covers the printer's CMYK gamut (and sRGB as well).

Ergo ... I'd get the TLB5, although that's easier said than done; sellers list 'xx" LCD for model_xyz' or specify 'model_xyz or compatible'. This may seem semantic, but it's not; customers remove their broken screen, pen down xyz and proceed to order xyz, yet they'll receiver a compatible, fitting screen but with different part nr. than what they asked for and, naturally, want to return the device. Technically a compatible is fine, and may even be better than what they had, but many models have been discontinued or sold out, so the seller has a point (and the for and or is merely to prevent "item-not-as-specified" returns). But if you do want a specific model (because you've done your homework) rather than compatible (a lottery, really) you'd ask explicitly "xyz only" or buy used. Usually take that last option as it's both cheaper and the only way to be 100% certain it's the model you want.

• Thumbs Up 1