PSA: Be carefull when undervolting the CPU when using unlocked bios for Y510p

Varroa

Just posting this for people that don't have time to read through all the posts in the unlocked bios thread for the Y510p. There are several accounts now of people bricking their Y510p when they try and undervolt their CPU using the new 3.05 unlocked bios. I have a feeling that the bios does not support this action and it is causing them to be bricked. The only repair appears to be sending your laptop to Lenovo for a bios replacement (which appears to be a new mobo).

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Are there any other settings we should be vary of when using the new mod? I was basically thinking of using it for power management ideas, shutting off two cores, undervolting, underclocking, et cetera. How much of that stuff is possible without bricking anything?

• 3 months later...
Are there any other settings we should be vary of when using the new mod? I was basically thinking of using it for power management ideas, shutting off two cores, undervolting, underclocking, et cetera. How much of that stuff is possible without bricking anything?

Someone elaborate on this. Is it ok to undervolt with factory bioses from Lenovo?

Wanna add this, so people don't misunderstand that undervolt make laptop brick but it's undervolt in BIOS that brick it.

Undervolting CPU in "BIOS" does brick the laptop but undervolt using "Intel XTU" or "Throttlestop" is perfectly fine.

Have you tried it? I mostly use throttlestop and i am going to try and unlock my BIOS as soon as i complete my 5 post rule (cannot download the attachment). And as my laptop is not under warranty anymore i am afraid of it bricking.

I undervolt my i5 with intel XTU on laptop, however i use dynamic cpu voltage offset setting, not core voltage setting, and i have it set to -99.6mV and everything runs smooth under heavy cpu usage, and temps are rougly 10° less than with no undervolting. Only small thing that bothers me with XTU that if somehow the computer doesnt shut down corectly, at next boot up the undervolt values are not set, so you have to save a profile 1st, and then go to profile tab next time, click on a profile, click show values, and last on the right side click yellow apply button. Think this is still the better alternative to undervolting in bios and possibly not being able to boot up again becaouse of not enough voltage on cpu

I undervolt my i5 with intel XTU on laptop, however i use dynamic cpu voltage offset setting, not core voltage setting, and i have it set to -99.6mV and everything runs smooth under heavy cpu usage, and temps are rougly 10° less than with no undervolting. Only small thing that bothers me with XTU that if somehow the computer doesnt shut down corectly, at next boot up the undervolt values are not set, so you have to save a profile 1st, and then go to profile tab next time, click on a profile, click show values, and last on the right side click yellow apply button. Think this is still the better alternative to undervolting in bios and possibly not being able to boot up again becaouse of not enough voltage on cpu

That is by design. Because "the computer doesnt shut down correctly" thing can cause by unstable undervolt/overclock, so program intentionally reset the value to prevent the computer from lock up and failed boot.

That is by design. Because "the computer doesnt shut down correctly" thing can cause by unstable undervolt/overclock, so program intentionally reset the value to prevent the computer from lock up and failed boot.

Yes, that is correct, maybe I could have phrased my post better, what i wanted to say with it is that you if you want to have undervolted settings applied at each boot its good to check it in xtu if the settings are applied, then its ok, but if somehow theyre not then you need to reapply them, becaouse if you take into contrast underclocking or usually overclocking on desktop cpu, you do that in bios, and those settings stay as they are on each boot unless your bios battery dies, where here with laptop you rather not undervolt in bios unless you know 100% what youre doing so that you dont brick the laptop.

Has anyone tried the Fn+B method. There's a write up for a y580 Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery. A couple of years back I had a bricked Lenovo come back to life using a similar method... Unless CPU power is cut off completely you should be able to re-flash the bios, unless I'm missing something here.

Has anyone tried the Fn+B method. There's a write up for a y580 Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery. A couple of years back I had a bricked Lenovo come back to life using a similar method... Unless CPU power is cut off completely you should be able to re-flash the bios, unless I'm missing something here.

Yep, didn't work. Nothing worked at all. I even opened the laptop and removed the bios battery to try and reset it with no luck.

Just posting this for people that don't have time to read through all the posts in the unlocked bios thread for the Y510p. There are several accounts now of people bricking their Y510p when they try and undervolt their CPU using the new 3.05 unlocked bios. I have a feeling that the bios does not support this action and it is causing them to be bricked. The only repair appears to be sending your laptop to Lenovo for a bios replacement (which appears to be a new mobo).

same config for y500?

Yep, didn't work. Nothing worked at all. I even opened the laptop and removed the bios battery to try and reset it with no luck.

I'm in a similar boat, except I changed the ICG apeture and memory size. Using the fn + R and the USB on the right, I have noticed that it does access the drive briefly, but no luck. Does yours do the same? I would assume it would have to be a filename issue is so.

If anyone has bricked their y510p or their y500 (which i would assume would be a similar process), you should try this, which was mentioned in the y510p bios mod thread. If it works feedback would be appreciated, because then it would confirm this is a fix. Of course, don't go bricking your y510p just in the name of science. Unless you want to.

QAAADlJREFUCNdjEBRgAAFGQSYGBpZKEGIAssIMQQjEMtgJQiCWwl4QArEYHoARiLUKjJgYYAAbiwFuBwBjOAkhfxMqggAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== Originally Posted by p00pyjoel PwMpgImBRMDS2NiITXwaEGcCcRYQTwcJ1NfXQzTgMCgXiKWBeDIQPwXiTYSc9BeII4H4DBAvB2JzuJOAmBhfg5xlBLOBEQcWAOLLQPwRiOORbcAGmIF4JRBrAXEAVCNeDZOA2B2Is4F4C7IEI6kRBxBgADojGLsZmhQgAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

HOW TO RESET CMOS EASILY AND QUICKLY Y510P

If your system no longer boots due to a BIOS setting change you can remove the back cover and remove both sticks of RAM. Underneath the RAM is 4 copper contacts. The two on the right side that are labeled JCMOS2 need to be connected while the computer is powered on. I know this sounds crazy, I thought I broke my laptop, but as soon as I made contact with the wires the system began to boot. I hope this helps everyone, because I thought I bricked my BIOS!

JKH

P.S. If someone can tell me how to fun the fans at 100% all the time that would be fantastic and how to lower the CPU VID without causing my computer to not boot!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...
On 2.03.2015 at 6:35 PM, DougQuaid said:

no, it doesn't work when you brick it by undervolting. Nothing works.

I would like to disagree. 

I recently bricked my laptop by lowering the voltage on the processor and i fix it without sending to any service. How i fix it? It's very simple. Firstly i change my CPU (i7-4700mq) to other model (i5-4210m). Then reset bios settings to default and swap CPUs again. That's all, everything works fine.

PS. I know that last answer was 2 years ago, but i want to spread fix for this problem.

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 8:05 PM, Guziec94 said:

I would like to disagree. 

I recently bricked my laptop by lowering the voltage on the processor and i fix it without sending to any service. How i fix it? It's very simple. Firstly i change my CPU (i7-4700mq) to other model (i5-4210m). Then reset bios settings to default and swap CPUs again. That's all, everything works fine.

PS. I know that last answer was 2 years ago, but i want to spread fix for this problem.

Thanks man, thats helpful. 

• 10 months later...

I also bricked my 4 years old y510p laptop when messing with cpu voltages in moddee bios. Fix is mentioned in this following quote,

On 02.03.2015 at 7:26 PM, jon7701 said:

If anyone has bricked their y510p or their y500 (which i would assume would be a similar process), you should try this, which was mentioned in the y510p bios mod thread. If it works feedback would be appreciated, because then it would confirm this is a fix. Of course, don't go bricking your y510p just in the name of science. Unless you want to.

QAAADlJREFUCNdjEBRgAAFGQSYGBpZKEGIAssIMQQjEMtgJQiCWwl4QArEYHoARiLUKjJgYYAAbiwFuBwBjOAkhfxMqggAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== Originally Posted by p00pyjoel PwMpgImBRMDS2NiITXwaEGcCcRYQTwcJ1NfXQzTgMCgXiKWBeDIQPwXiTYSc9BeII4H4DBAvB2JzuJOAmBhfg5xlBLOBEQcWAOLLQPwRiOORbcAGmIF4JRBrAXEAVCNeDZOA2B2Is4F4C7IEI6kRBxBgADojGLsZmhQgAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

HOW TO RESET CMOS EASILY AND QUICKLY Y510P

If your system no longer boots due to a BIOS setting change you can remove the back cover and remove both sticks of RAM. Underneath the RAM is 4 copper contacts. The two on the right side that are labeled JCMOS2 need to be connected while the computer is powered on. I know this sounds crazy, I thought I broke my laptop, but as soon as I made contact with the wires the system began to boot. I hope this helps everyone, because I thought I bricked my BIOS!

JKH

P.S. If someone can tell me how to fun the fans at 100% all the time that would be fantastic and how to lower the CPU VID without causing my computer to not boot!

This fix worked for me! If you facing same problem, you just need to short the two copper piece that is labbelled as jmos2. Dont short with jmei, it could lead other problems. I used stainless steel wire that i using for ecig to short copper pieces in jmos2. Note that, you must run pc, i did plugged ac adapter and battery was on. Thank you very much jon7701! 

Note: You may have to short jmos2 3-4 times before it could fully fixed, if computer goes bootloop after you have shorted jmos2, just plug ram sticks and you are good to go :)

Edited by NeVerQuaKe
Add for extra info