are mechanical keyboards worth it?

arraygamer

I have a laptop, and the keyboard on it is relatively good, probably the best laptop keyboard there is (a lenovo one, if you have used lenovo laptop keyboards before), and i am thinking of getting a mechanical keyboard. I will be doing a fair amount of typing, so i am thinking blue or green, but is a good keyboard really worth the 100+ dollars?

Sometimes I caugh myself thinking about that and how all this "mechanical thing" about keyboards sounds like pure placebo. Hardcore gamers spend a lot of money on keyboards because of "its precision and durability"... I dont think so it justifies the amount of money spent on it, seriously.

You said you'll "spend a fair amount of time typing"... in my opinion you should look for a soft and ergonomic keyboard rather than an gamer/mechanical one if you're worried about Repetitive Strain Injuries.

Regards,

I am currently typing on a mechanical keyboard, and I totally love the difference. The good thing about mechanical keys is that you only need to press halfway, and it allows for better repetitive pressing. The one con about a mechanical keyboard is that some people don't realize that you only need to press about halfway for the switch to actuate, thus making the entire travel distance and thus are expending more energy. I would recommend going into a store and trying out the keyboards individually. I currently am using the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2014 (Razer orange switches).

It's definitely different from typing on a membrane and I've only heard of good experiences from people switching to a mechanical keyboard. I recommend at least trying one sometime if you still don't think it's worth it. I've had mine for 2 years and I'd like to think I saved money by not buying bad keyboards and replacing them over and over again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have this http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWidow-Chroma-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B00MTWV0II/?tag=bom_tomsguide-20&ascsubtag=[site|tguus[cat|[art|[pid|B00MTWV0II[tid|14258683563845991[bbc|LEPRIX and they are incomparable, this vs Lenovo keyboard which is great also. Maybe it's me, but I got a lot better precision while using mechanical over a membrane one, the one I have is ofcourse really expensive, I would look to cheaper SteelSeries alternatives they tend to be great :)

• 2 months later...

I'm creating a build myself right now and I had to think about the same thing. There's a big following of mech keyboards because of the responsiveness. I went to Best Buy and tested a few of the popular mechanical keyboard and I can honestly say I was blown away. The Cherry MX Brown switches were incredible and responsive. Feels a little bit like a typewriter and gives amazing response to your fingers. I bought a Corsair K70 which will be arriving wednesday and even though the price point was a little high, I'm sure it'll be amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, its all about the feel really, at least for me. I have my AW17 and i love all the colors on the thing but i went with an external monitor so i had to buy a keyboard and decided to go with mechanical CM STORM keyboard. Like i said its about the feel, and it feels really good when you type something with a mechanical (altough i would not advise a mechanical if you live with someone else in the room). And as @dexgod said, MX Browns are the most responsive switches because they register half way down instead of when the key is pressed all the way. Blues for the most satisfying sound though :) As for gaming i don't really think it adds much :P

• 11 months later...

I don't know how long you are working with computers yet, but way earlier you had the yellowish/white keyboards (in the 90ties) those were mechanical 2, me personally find them to expensive for now to buy, my Logitech G15 still suits me wel.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's a great upgrade from a membrane keyboard to a mechanical. Which switch should you use? It's up to you.

I would recommend you buy this:

https://www.amazon.com/WASD-6-Key-Cherry-Switch-Tester/dp/B00AZQKCD4

You can try all switchs and choose which one suits you better.

Overall:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-mechanical-keyboard-and-why-you-511140347

I think mechanical keyboards are totally a personal preference.

It won't improve your gaming, just like how leather seats won't make your driving better, but they still make your car look great and are oh-so-comfortable to sit in, and there's definitely something to be said about that. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've gone back and forth and at the end of the day my performance is about the same on either keyboards, just go with whatever you feeling you prefer. I honestly slightly favor laptop scissor keys but thats probably due to the huge amount of time i spend on my laptop vs desktop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Take it from someone who has been PC gaming 20+ years: Get something that is the most comfortable. All I do is play guitar and game and my fingers are starting to feel it. I find myself having to take days off from both and it sucks. Get something ergonomic.

• 6 months later...