[GUIDE] DSDT override to fix error 12

16 hours ago, Doink said:

So its basically identical, well i just removed that part but its some PEG port thing so it can't be that necessary :D. Good luck.

dsdt.zip

Hey Doink

I got another blue screen *sigh* yet again thank you for trying :)

I dunno if you could see what type of machine this is? It might do something.

Its a Lenovo Thinkpad E560. I just bought the motherboard. It has i7 6500u and a r7 m370 as dgpu and I have a r9 290 for egpu.

Did a bios update which finally made the system recognize the r9 290 but gives me code 12 error.

On my previous system, a asus ux32vd, it was more or less plug and play.

So I don't understand why it is so difficult now.

For documentation:

I made a successful DSDT override, but failed to find a solution via the following 36 bit compaction. This is due to some language problems in the files (so it applies to non-english users only)

The solution (many thanks again to nando!):

You have to execute EGPU-setup mount in your e-GPU folder and navigate to the resulting v:\config.

There, in the devcon.txt you have to remove the part about PCI Complex (there is only one).

After a reboot, i was able to make a simple 32 bit compaction and voila, it worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody, first of all.... thanks a lot Nando and to everybody out there contributing to eGPU solutions

I have a pumped Aspire with only an onboard Intel HD in it, Its a 5750 that standard has only 4g rams and no dGPU
Was in a german forum till before, didnt realize all the infos come from there :)

I resume what i made till yet to make you an idea where i am. I need to become the right suggestions because i am a bit lost between go on with setup tool, hope in the right bios settings or go on with dsdt what at the end has revealed be necessary. Also unclear is, if eventual wrong settings in bios will conflict with setup tool settings.

Well, the unlocked bios has so many settings for PCI-E and graphics that i was pretty sure it works straight away with the right settings.... but till today i had no success.

The OS in Dev Manag. knows the card after connect to mPCIE but gives as usual on win 7 code 12 as non selectable cause not enough alloc space.

After experimenting with settings in bios without success and the card that was already there i tryed to resolve the initialisation by switching the delay buttons on PCE4 as suggested from a guy in the other forum. Still, no success!
WTH.... my tolud is 2.5 or 2.75gb

Next step was with setup tool version 1.22 a friend of mine made me the present hoping it will work. No success because he dont accept compaction if dsdt was not overrided before.

Now... because the diplayng code 12 is there also without setup tool and because the card is there but cant be initialized, its obvious that the dsdt will resolve the problem... but i still didnt do it. The reasons are 2.

1. The first reason, i wanna find out and be sure 100% if this bios 1.21 and all those settings can resolve initialize it without the dsdt override. To do that i need absolutely your help to understand the functions that i must look for and set the right way.  Its unlogic that the guy that made this bios has open all for egpu  and it doesnt work. I am convinced there is a way, but a pro must throw an eye on it.

2. The second reason is because i have no clue how to do dsdt and i have to learn it anyway if bios refuses for real and definitively to obey, i see it as more logical first invest time and be sure 100% with bios then do the dsdt override if really needed.

Hope you guys help me with that mission, thank you in advance

UPDATE 28.08.2016 - 17.05 EU Time

SOLVED:

After over 2 weeks searching and tryng all day to fix the code 12, i solved just before.

I was sure the unlocked bios 1.21  was made to allow easy egpu use. After investigate about the initialisation problems between the ports i discovered that the bios under pci.e settings if spec features set enabled, allows to enable hotplug on pci ports.

I just went to the eGpu mPCI port and told him to enable hotplug. Didnt use setup tool, no dsdt override even if seen as necessary till this morning.
After reboot eGPU was there, i activated it and it works like a beast :D to work on cad will be a pleasure now.....
C u

Edited by Fonzi1971

Hello,

I have bought a few weeks ago an EXP GDC v8 from http://www.banggood.com/Expresscard-Version-V8_0-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1009976.html, and an EVGA 600W Bronze power supply from newegg, to use with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 (Untill I get a new graphics card, if more preformance is needed) and I keep running into Error code 12. I have for a computer an HP Elitebook 8460p, running Windows 7 Professional (Service Pack 1), 64 bit, a core i5-2540M @ 2.60 GHz, and 16 gigs of RAM.

I have tried multiple solutions, including disabling other devices to try and find more resources for my laptop, and multiple DSDT overrides, with unexpected outputs for the .dsl file. I have the file "iasl-win-20120620" (I'm not sure where I downloaded it from) and the result from when i did "%IASL%\iasl.exe -g" after defininig IASL as that iasl-win... folder, the output in command prompt is this: http://pastebin.com/EVuNe9E9 and the files it created to the DSDT folder I set the directory to (and their sizes) are:

DSDT_161C.dat - 149 KB

dsdt_161C.dsl - 997 KB

FACP_161C.dat - 1 KB

RSDT_SLIC-MPC.dat - 1 KB

If you would like to see the contents of dsdt_161C.dsl, ask me, i will find a way to send it, as it is too big for pastebin and the extension is not allowed to upload on this website.

I at first was following this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-gQYEKukQ, but I could not find CR_6, so I went over to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRSGHGCEGRA, and realized they had two QWordMemory sections when they saved the document, because one was there in the first place, so I pasted the section of QWordMemory I found in many places:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
   0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
   0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum,  set it to 48.5GB
   0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum,  set it to 56.25GB
   0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
   0x00000001F0000000, // Length calculated by Range Max - Range Min.
   ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

after the latest DWordMemory. I compiled it with

%IASL%\iasl dsdt_161C.dsl

The ending output of that command is:

Maximum error count (200) exceeded
ASL Input:     dsdt_161C.dsl - 28534 lines, 956320 bytes, 11237 keywords

Compilation complete. 201 Errors, 0 Warnings, 1 Remarks, 4001 Optimizations

I have also tried a few other ways of DSDT Overriding, with no luck.

Also, please note: I know about Setup 1.3, and how it could most likely fix my problem, but I am honestly not willing to risk the extra money I have after buying the adapter and power supply on something that I'm not completely sure will work.

I would be extremely thankful if someone helped me with this, and if you need anything else like files, or have me run commands, please ask!

Edited by RubbaBoy

On 9/1/2016 at 6:20 AM, RubbaBoy said:

I have the file "iasl-win-20120620" (I'm not sure where I downloaded it from) and the result from when i did "%IASL%\iasl.exe -g" after defininig IASL as that iasl-win... folder, the output in command prompt is I would be extremely thankful if someone helped me with this, and if you need anything else like files, or have me run commands, please ask!

Looks like the newest tools link is broken on the acpica website so try with this https://acpica.org/sites/acpica/files/iasl-win-20160831_0.zip 

Upload your acpidump -b output if you still have problems.

Edited by Doink

HI all, after fix error 12 via DSDT, gtx960 is show "This device is working properly." in device manager, but screen of lap still vga adapter, exten screen is blank. Pls help me.

Untitled.jpg

23 minutes ago, Toan said:

HI all, after fix error 12 via DSDT, gtx960 is show "This device is working properly." in device manager, but screen of lap still vga adapter, exten screen is blank. Pls help me.

You cannot disable your primary GPU (iGPU or dGPU) under Win7 as doing so prevents the eGPU from working. Re-enable it and try again. Only win8/10 (or older XP) allows the eGPU to work when the primary GPU is disabled so try one of those OS if need primary GPU disabled.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi everyone, I too am trying to solve my Code 12 error on a X230 Win 7, GTX 1060 and PE4C. The iASL compiler and Windows ACPI tools (ZIP 1.5MB) link on the acpica.org website leads to a broken link, so I downloaded the older link  2570P-dsdt-override from this thread instead.

a.  I ran iasl.exe -g and it produced two DSDT's, one .dat and one .dsl

b.  I edited the .dsl with notepad

c.  I changed the DefinitionBlock ("DSDT.aml" to DefinitionBlock ("DSDT_EGPU.aml"

d.  I copy/pasted the QWordMemory paragraph after the last DWordMemory entry, under Device (PCI0)

e.  I then saved-as to dsdt_new.dsl

f.  I returned to dos and ran iasl dsdt_new.dsl and also tried iasl -oa dsdt_new.asl, neither of which created the .aml

So now I'm stuck.  Since I can't create the .aml I cannot load it into registry to create the Large Memory entry.

Suggestions?  Thanks!

UPDATE:

On 9/2/2016 at 9:27 AM, Doink said:

Looks like the newest tools link is broken on the acpica website so try with this https://acpica.org/sites/acpica/files/iasl-win-20160831_0.zip 

Upload your acpidump -b output if you still have problems.

Hi Doink - I used your link to download the files, ran acpidump -b and it produced the dsdt.dat file, but it's not editable.  Can you please explain how to convert the .dat to TXT so I can add the QWordMemory and then load into Registry?  Thanks!

UPDATE: ok, I see I can continue following the instructions.  After creating the dsdt.dat using acpidump -b:

a.  I converted it to dsdt.dsl by running the command iasl dsdt.dat.

b.  I then added QWordMemory paragraph to the dsdt.dsl and saved it as dsdt_new.dsl

c.  I then tried to compile using command iasl -oa dsdt.dsl but received 2 errors

dsdt_new.dsl     21: DefinitionBlock ("", "DSDT_EGPU", 1, "LENOVO", "TP-G2   ",0x00002660)

Error    6127 -            Invalid Table Signature ^  (Length is not exactly 4)

dsdt_new.dsl   7116:                     Name (_IRC, 0x00)  // _IRC: Inrush Current

Error    6103 -                                  ^ Reserved name must be a control method (with zero arguments)

The guide has links to fixing erros with Ivy Bridge processors but don't see anything in reference to my errors.

UPDATE: for s&g's I tried decompiling the dsdt.dat and recompiling the dsdt.dsl without making any edits, just to see if it was error-free and it wasn't.  The error I get is

dsdt.dsl   7109:                     Name (_IRC, 0x00)  // _IRC: Inrush Current
Error    6103 -                              ^ Reserved name must be a control method (with zero arguments)

I then tried to edit the .dsl with only the QWordMemory paragraph and again got 1 error

dsdt.dsl   7116:                     Name (_IRC, 0x00)  // _IRC: Inrush Current
Error    6103 -                              ^ Reserved name must be a control method (with zero arguments)

so the good news is it's the same error (just on different lines, i'm guessing because I copy/pasted the QWordMemory paragraph).  anyone have a suggestion on how to fix error 6103?

UPDATE: ok, jay_dark_dry's post on page 1 found a solution to error 6103.  in the .dsl i changed the following:

Name (_IRC, 0x00) // _IRC: Inrush Current

Method (_IRC, 0, NotSerialized) { Return(0x00) }

This allowed me to compile the .dsl successfully and create the .aml.  I created a restore point and now just need to run the command asl /loadtable dsdt.aml but Doink's download doesn't include the asl application so now I'm trying to find the compiler for Windows 7.

UPDATE: I tried loading using ASL but got BSOD on reboot.  I'm guessing this might be because I'm not using the right compiler or loading the .aml correctly.  Not sure.  I need a break anyway.  Spent all day on this.  If someone has a simple solution for Windows 7 I'm all ears!  Thanks!

Edited by douirc

7 hours ago, douirc said:

This allowed me to compile the .dsl successfully and create the .aml.  I created a restore point and now just need to run the command asl /loadtable dsdt.aml but Doink's download doesn't include the asl application so now I'm trying to find the compiler for Windows 7.

You can get the asl tool by downloading Windows Driver Kit. For the bsod part sorry, but i have no idea.

1 hour ago, Doink said:

You can get the asl tool by downloading Windows Driver Kit. For the bsod part sorry, but i have no idea.

Thanks Doink.  The WDK 10 installed C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x86\ACPIVerify\asl.exe which is great.  I ran asl \loadtable dsdt.aml and it returned the following message:

Microsoft ACPI Source Language Assembler Version 5.0.0NT
Copyright (c) 1996,2014 Microsoft Corporation
Compliant with the ACPI 5.0 Specification
Table overloading succeeded. This will only be active when testsigning is enabled.

The instructions for this thread say to run bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON in order to activate with testsigning but the WDK 10 folder doesn't have bcdedit anywhere in it.  Any suggestions?

bcdedit is part of windows located under system32/bcdedit.exe or sysnative/bcdedit.exe but I don't think you need to enable testsigning on windows 7 according to the instructions.

7. [Windows 8.x/10] Enable test signing mode for the registry override to apply. You must be an admin user for this to be successful.

Just skip this step and move to step 8.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 6:32 AM, Doink said:

bcdedit is part of windows located under system32/bcdedit.exe or sysnative/bcdedit.exe but I don't think you need to enable testsigning on windows 7 according to the instructions.

Just skip this step and move to step 8.

Hi.  I did a clean install of Win 10 1607, dumped the .dat, converted to .dsl, added the QWordMemory Method (_IRC, 0, NotSerialized) { Return(0x00) } (so it would complie), created the .aml and uploaded using asl, but till getting BSOD.

just to be clear, the DSDT Override is so I don't have to get Setup 1.3, correct?  Or will I still need Setup 1.3 even after I do the DSDT Override?  If I can't get this figured out I think I'll just get Setup 1.3 because this is showing to be very difficult.

btw, if I try following jay_dark_dry's steps line by line I noticed he converts the .aml to .asl using command asl /u.  He does this so he can find the new memory table and use it to replace the old memory table without overwriting the entire thing (smart).  Problem is, I can't get his asl /u command to work.  I get the error asl_ERR: UnAsmOpcode: invalid opcode class 0.  Maybe his way would work for me.

UPDATE: did some more reading in the thread and really like the approach artearte and sbp described, although I'm not 100% sure I can follow it.  Gonna give it a try.  Seems the most logical.

UPDATE: LOL!  ok, instead of trying to figure out how the compiler would create my unique hex for QWordMemory specific to my machine, I copied artearte's hex and pasted into my DSDT dump, recompiled and loaded, rebooted and viola, no BSOD and I now have Large Memory entry [0000000C20000000 - 0000000E0FFFFFFF] PCI Express Root Complex.  so I was curious if I dumped the DSDT again and converted to .dsl what the QWordMemory looks like and it's not exactly what's on the first page of this thread:

QWordMemory (ResourceProducer, PosDecode, MinFixed, MaxFixed, Cacheable, ReadWrite,
                    0x0000000000000000, // Granularity
                    0x0000000C20000000, // Range Minimum
                    0x0000000E0FFFFFFF, // Range Maximum
                    0x0000000000000000, // Translation Offset
                    0x00000001F0000000, // Length
                    ,, , AddressRangeMemory, TypeStatic)

Although maybe that's exactly the same?  haha.  Maybe the other stuff is just comments and the commas are used for the compiler to ignore.  Well, on to the final step...plug in my eGPU GTX 1060 6GB and see if Code 12 goes away.

Just for reference, my steps:

1.  install WDK 10

2.  run \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify\asl /tab=DSDT to create DSDT.ASL

3.  change the default hex listing in DSDT.ASL with artearte's hex listing on page one of this thread

4.  I also had to change all my AMC() to \_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.ATMC() to get it to compile (apparently it's a required header)

5.  compile it by running \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify\asl DSDT.ASL to create DSDT.AML

6.  upload by running \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify\asl /loadtable DSDT.AML

7.  enable test signing by running \Windows\System32\bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

UPDATE: BINGO!! video card drivers loaded without any errors.  For everyone else trying to figure this out, sorry I wasn't more scientific.  Copy/pasting someone else's hex table might not work for everyone but at least it's worth a try.  Plus, you can skip a bazillion steps and tons of hours racking your brain.

I just ran 3DMark 11 and got a graphics score of 10,600.  Looking at other websites I see the GTX 1060 scoring around 17,000 so clearly I'm not near max potential.  I believe part of this is because the output is to my laptop screen even though I have my card connected directly to my 1440p monitor (and working).  So...how do I disable the laptop monitor and display directly to the big screen?  I assume this will also improve my performance since the Expresscard doesn't have to consume bandwidth pushing the video back to the laptop?  Doesn't NVidia offer some free software that lets you configure which display is used as the output of the video card?  Starts with an "o"?

Anyway, I'm very excited I've made all this progress.  I can see where all the frustration comes from for everyone who's posted on this thread.  Thanks to artearte for posting your hex tables and sbp for helping make sense of this mess with humor.

DSDT.zip

Edited by douirc

With regard to my Dell E6400 and error code 12, I have found that the E6400 DSDT file does not contain a DWordMemory entry.  However, User dummyaccount posted E6400.aml and E6400.dsl files for his Dell E6400 that resolved the Error 12 issue.  I believe that I only need the E6400.aml file.  What steps should I take next to override my existing DSDT file by using these files? 

8 hours ago, Cornell77 said:

With regard to my Dell E6400 and error code 12, I have found that the E6400 DSDT file does not contain a DWordMemory entry.  However, User dummyaccount posted E6400.aml and E6400.dsl files for his Dell E6400 that resolved the Error 12 issue.  I believe that I only need the E6400.aml file.  What steps should I take next to override my existing DSDT file by using these files? 

Hi Cornell77, assuming you installed WDK 10, you should only need to run  \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify\asl /loadtable E6400.AML.  I also had to enable test signing by running \Windows\System32\bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON.

Edited by douirc

System: Dell E6400 w/Intel 4500MHD, Windows 10, EXP beast V8 Expresscard, GTX 970

The above system works well with only 2GB installed.  I am attempting to do a DSDT override using an E6400.aml file provided by user dummyaccount ( who successfully performed a DSDT override for his E6400/4500MHD laptop).  After running iasl.exe, then attempting to use the command asl  /loadtable E6400.aml, I receive an error that "asl is not recognized as an internal or external command".  Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, douirc, for pointing me in the right direction.  I have been able to install the E6400.aml file as a DSDT override on my Dell E6400.  I can now run the eGPU with 8GB of ram installed.  Here are some quick summary points that may be helpful to others.

1. The ASL compiler for Windows 10 will be installed in C\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify  (just as you mentioned).

2. The aml file (e.g. E6400.aml) needs to be installed in this directory

3.  After loading the revised aml file, testsigning needs to be turned on.

4. I also needed to install Visual Studio 2015 to prevent a missing dll error in running the Unigine Heaven and Valley benchmarks.

5. I am not able to boot with the Expresscard installed, but simply put the laptop to sleep and then insert the Expresscard.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I am so glad I found this thread as I am completely new to that whole eGPU topic but still very eager to upgrade my old laptop with a little bit of gpu power.

My setup:

Dell Vostro V131 with Intel Core i5-2450M, HD3000 iGPU, 8Gbytes of RAM and I bought a EXP GDC v8 external pci-e board with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti. I have a fresh copy of Win7x64bit installed.

I connected the eGPU via mini-PCIe therefore I had to remove my WIFI-module.

As you can probably guess, I ran into Error 12 (not enough resources) but was able to install Nvidia's driver successfully so I figure everything is plugged in correctly at least.

I hope you can assist me with the solution of my problem as many cracked their heads with the similar problem.

First off, I hope you can assure me that the V131 in general is able to utilize the eGPU? My first thoughts would be to try unplugging one 4GB RAM bar and try again with an external monitor (had only tried with internal laptop display). - will update this evening.

If this fails, what would be the next steps I should approach?

Thank you so much for your help!!

Edited by EdwardEnglish

Hi Edward, I don't think removing ram and plugging an external monitor changes the requirement to have Large Memory in your device list. Without it you can't resolve the Code 12 error. Instead you need to follow the instructions to extract, edit, compile and load your revised DSDT. Or if you read my post, I skipped a bunch of steps and copy/pasted an existing Large Memory hex from this thread into my DSDT and reloaded (if you want to try that). Just make sure you create a restore point before every new attempt so you can quickly restore and not lose much time in your attempts. 

Hey douric thanks for your reply.

I just removed my RAM and tried with external monitor but as you already guessed, my efforts were in vain (gotta go the long way ;) )

When I boot up my laptop with eGPU and monitor connected from the start the display stays black and it can't boot. Not sure what this means.

Ok I will try to gather some information on how solve it. I just wanted to make sure if my laptop in general is actually able to support that eGPU.

If I install Linux (as mentioned in the first post) everything should work, shouldn't it?

And one more: will I need Setup 1.3 or is it possible to go without?

One last: do I need to install that intel igpu drivers or should I leave it be? (since I have fresh windows install)

Thanks for all your efforts

I think you already answered your question since the egpu shows up in the list in device manager and you successfully installed the drivers. I don't know about Linux. Haven't tried it. You don't have a discrete internal GPU so you shouldn't need setup 1.3. I also don't know what Intel igpu drivers are but no, it won't make a difference for your egpu. 

Ok I did the DSDT modifying as suggested - apparently I got only 11 Errors on my first compiling almost all of them where easy to solve because I found something with google, one error I had to delete a line that said "return (zero)" - kind of felt wrong to just delete something but in the end it said 0 errors!

I re-compiled and loaded that table into registry and after reboot I found that "Large Memory" at my device manager.

I edited the bootloader and enabled test-signing (alltough all guides say this is only necessary with Windows 8/8.1/10)

So far so good, but now I face this problem:

- when I turn on my laptop with eGPU connected I can reach the boot animation of windows but then I get a blue-screen and the laptop turns off -> boot loop

- when I turn on my laptop with eGPU disconnected I can reach my desktop, but neither hot-plugging nor going to sleep and then plugging the eGPU in made the laptop recognize it

- when I turn on my laptop with eGPU connected and a external screen connected to it the internal and the external screen stay black

- when I hotplug the eGPU during windows the laptop screen turns blue (no blue screen but just blue color) and the external screen stays dark

Note that when I unplug the eGPU and reboot the laptop tries to reboot for 3 seconds, goes off and reboots again (successfully). It's the same way around, if I shutdown from a session where no eGPU was connected, then plug it in and start the laptop again, it turns on for 3secs, goes off and then turns on again to fully boot (but failing as stated above).

As I am using a EXP GDC V8 I turned the on the hardware-delay for 7 and 15 secs but I noted no change (the fan of the eGPU just turns on when I push the power button).

just a reminder:

Dell Vostro V131 with Intel Core i5-2450M, HD3000 iGPU, 8Gbytes of RAM and I bought a EXP GDC v8 external pci-e board with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 750ti. I have a fresh copy of Win7x64bit installed.

I connected the eGPU via mini-PCIe therefore I had to remove my WIFI-module.

Edit:

I did some thinking (because I can only try to fix it in the evenings).

• when re-compiling the DSDT-Table I searched for the asl.exe - compiler file within the Windows Driver Kit Folder. It showed me several files, one for 32bit, one for 64bit and two more. I took the latter. Could this have been a bad choice? Should I try to compile with 32bit asl.exe? OK i did some more reading and you all took the same \Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64\ACPIVerify\asl  asl.exe so I guess this is not it.
  • when fixing the DSDT-Table errors I had to delete one line to make it work Return(zero) it said. Could this be the problem? I fixed this problem by restoring the line and altering it to Return (CRS) . I can still boot and the Large Memory is still tehre, so this can't be the cause, unfortunately it does not change the blue screen
  • Enabled and Disabled TESTSIGNING for the bootloader -> makes no difference in Win7, still have the Large Memory
  • I use a DVI cable - this should work or is hdmi mandatory? display and cable do work at my desktop PC
  • Is this the point where I need that Setup v1.3 to fiddle with PCI-e modes?

Another thing I noticed: I can only go to sleep mode, when the Intel GPU-Driver (for iGPU HD3000) is installed. I tried with and without internal iGPU driver because I thought this could be the culprit but it made no difference. But when the driver is uninstalled the sleep button is greyed out. Wonder where that comes from :)

Thanks for all that reading and your help!

Edited by EdwardEnglish
adding information

On 30.1.2016 at 5:44 PM, Kevus89 said:

4) reboot and use setup 1.3 by Nando to hotplug properly the egpu, but you can also F8 to halt Windows loading and plug the egpu as your bios do not allows to plug it at startup. Did not try yet but setup 1.3 can be used to override DSDT on Win8.1 or Win10 without running in test mode (-set TESTSIGNING ON). With Win7 after DSDT override you need setup 1.3 to proceed 56.25 compaction on egpu, forcing none to 32 bits. Would have done that with a GTX660/670/680/690/750 TI... if I had known there was no unified drivers from 300 series to 900 series.

5) Install latest drivers for your EGPU from Nvidia website.

6) reboot, hotplug, run win 8.1/10, it is working.

Ok I found this quote - never heard of halting the boot process with F8 I will try that too. Pressing F8 didnt change anything for me.

@douirc:

I just understood what you meant with that post. I will try the same today, because I think my problem is very similar - Large Memory has shown up successfully the only problem is to get that thing booting without blue screen

I did what you suggested, pasting that alternative table from page 1 into my dsdt file. Funny thing, that section was completely missing so I just added it. Unfortunately it doesn't change anything. Booting still works, but with eGPU connected gives me blues screen

Edited by EdwardEnglish

Ok after all that trial and error I just see few possibilities left:

• will try to load some dsdt-tables from the internet hoping one will do the trick (preferably I will chose DELL related dsdt tables)
  • will try to boot the laptop with WiFi-Module connected -> go to sleep -> exchange it for eGPU (very hard for me because I have to rip the whole thing apart to get to the PCIe port
  • will try to acquire Setup 1.3 - final chance

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.