Uncontrollable fan speed

nonecool

So, I have a unique problem…

I have a PowerPro R 12:17-675 (MSI 937-176252-025) from PowerNotebooks and I recently had them replace my fried GTX 675M with a GTX 680M (from Dell; this version has 2GB vRAM instead of the 4GB vRAM that comes with the MSI version). I am stoked with the performance gain and I am loving the upgrade, however…

The fan controller seems to be disabled and my fan runs at 100% all the time. I assume this is because I am now using a GPU card intended for Dell and it was not set up to work with the MSI fan controller. According to PowerNotebooks, they did everything software related to get the fan under control without any luck. Is there anything I can do to get the Fan under control? Could using a tweaked/updated vBIOS help?

Thank you

-NoneCool

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same laptop and that happened to me when I removed my 680M after it died. I could still boot on the integrated graphics but the fan revs to 100% when I"m in any OS (Windows or Ubuntu) with no way to turn it down. I've since replaced my card with a 780M and the fan problem stopped. You could try flashing an MSI vBios using NVFlash.

Alas... My "refurbished" 680M died on me... Laptop is going back to the seller for a in warranty repair. Hopefully they can find me an MSI card and this will all be moot. If you do not mind me asking, where did you get and what 780M are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well you probably don't want to follow in my shoes just yet http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/7545-ms1762-problems-upgrading-780m.html I bought one on eBay from a seller 'newlite'. Right now I'm kind of wishing I didn't try to upgrade. My card died 3 months out of warranty so it was going to be very expensive to fix through Power Notebooks.

I recommend going through PowerNoteBooks... Scott and Zoltan know their stuff and are a pleasure to work with. The repairs cost are more reasonable than dealing with eBay directly. If they get a card and can't get it to work, you don't have to deal with the hassle of the return. I will buy from them again simply because of their amazing tech support.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got a similar problem in that I replaced the broken GTX570M in my MS-16F2 with a 7970M (supposed to be clevo but using dell vbios), my fan speed however does not go up when the GPU is under load. I can with some trouble manually adjust it with a program manually but I'd like to have a way to have it go automatic again, as alt tabbing all the time to check temperatures is hardly much fun.

• 5 months later...

Ugh! Similar problem here. GTX 675M that died and now fan spins up to full speed. There has to be a way to get the fan to behave normally without a fancy GPU card in it. The laptop will do everything I need it to do (less gaming) with the Intel HD4000 graphics. I just need to get that fan controller to look only at the CPU temps, not the "missing" GPU temp from the fried 675M.

Any ideas? What about the unlocked BIOS's for the GT70? Is there an unlocked setting that might allow us to fix the fan speed?