7970m Unstable with any Overvoltage

Hey Guys,

Having trouble with my 7970m, it hard freezes pc at any overvoltage. Is this a PSU issue?

Its in my Alienware m17r4.

I was trying to run 1.075v at 980/1380. It froze, so I took it back to the stable OC of 925/1300. Still froze.

Took it back to stock clocks and guess what. It froze! On stock clocks!

This only happens when I disable the integrated graphics. (I assume enduro prevents the card from hitting max power use/performance/whatever)

On stable clocks, dedicated card only, stock volts i get 50 fps in I:SS. With enduro on, at 1000/1400/1.075v i get about the same fps.

With enduro on at stable clocks and stock volts i only get about 34fps... so obviously enduro is throttling me somewhere.

I just don't get why it crashes on voltage, shouldn't this not be possible at stock clocks??

Do I have a dodgy alienware?

Thanks guys,

Scott.

Maybe the 7970m. . I'd get some benches done on high cores like that but anytime I tried an over volt on the cards I got they were early batch... they would crash for gaming stability but the overvoltage did let me use a higher core to bench bit for the cards I speak of never made them stable. Eventually I had to have the cards replaced. Gaming they for awhile till they got bad stock volt with a small overclock worked then they even had issues on stock everything. I think the enduro and the voltage thing are separate issues. I never had a Enduro system so I can't really comment..

The voltage just might be too much for the chip. Not sure why Enduro doesn't crash but as you say perhaps because it doesn't quite put the gpu to full use with Enduro enabled, I'm of no help when it comes to enduro.

Hey guys,

Crashes early on in games, maybe 5 mins 10 mins in?

I'm thinking at this point it may be overheating VRMs, or too small a power supply (i have every hole in this lappy filled. msata ssd, etc. that being said I dont use the built in panel which is a chunk of power...)

One other strange symptom. 3dmark11 from the second test to the physics test, shows up as purple and green lines on my external monitor. If i have the lid open the monitor on the lappy shows it fine!! (Wtf) happens even at stock levels, with stock volts...

Going to reinstall drivers with enduro off tonight, maybe enduro just stuffs with it?

Oh, and windows update just broke catalyst... sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

gpu temps hit about 66degc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Be aware that overvolting should only be done by experienced users and can seriously harm your GPU, shorten the life of its components and lead to unsuspected effects and / or system instability. I take no responsibility for any possible damages.

• 4 weeks later...

From my limited experience I would disable enduro to attempt to improve system stability. I've found that the 6970m in my P170HM has always been extremely sensitive to high heat as well as (designed) voltage fluctuations. Occasionally while switching from high to low voltage profiles (as in returning from a game to the Windows desktop) it would crash even if it was running relatively cool. The fix I used for a few years was to force the card to run at a constant 1.05V at a constant stable OC. At stock settings it was just too unreliable. Recently re-installing Windows and installing all of the latest updates and drivers seems to have fixed the issue for me on stock settings, but I haven't yet tried any overclocking on the current driver config.

Be aware that overvolting should only be done by experienced users and can seriously harm your GPU, shorten the life of its components and lead to unsuspected effects and / or system instability. I take no responsibility for any possible damages.

I guess that better part of the people around here are already aware of this...

Mine Clevo 7970m run up to 950@stock voltage rock-solid, ensure you got proper contact and thermpad between the voltage regulators and the heatsink - this may cause similiar problems afaik.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...