DAMN YOU MSI - 675M REPLACEMENT - 770m or 680m ?????

ALEMAGNO31

So far..\none.

Got the GPU. Placed all the thermal pads and installed it with no problems.

The device manager found it so I was kinda happy.

Then when installing the Nvidia drivers I had to wrestle a bit because I didn't download the INTERNATIONAL version and I had the modified INF for that one (at that point I hadn't realized that)

So after that I could proceed with the install of the drivers... BUTTTTT as they're not "CERTIFIED"DRIVERS I had to boot windows from the advanced restart so I could install NOT CERTIFIED drivers.

After thath the install went ok. The 770m finally appeared in the device manager, but is having some issues with the HD4000.

So, I decided to try the unlocked BIOS ( I got this and the the VBIOS for the 770m from SVET at HQ MSI forums....)

After unlocking the bios HUNDREDS of new options appeared but so far haven't been able to use the 770m.

My good friend BUGII is giving me a GREAT HAND at this, we could say he is a LONG DISTANCE TECHNICIAN (?) and supervises everything I do on the MSI. I think its just a matter of time before I have th 770m up and running, its just a software issue.

I'll keep you all updated. If you have any suggestions we're listening!

Best regards!!! Alex

with the green PCB GTX770M from MSI (GT60 2OC / GT 70 2OC / Medion Erazer X7825)

you do not need modified drivers. The card works great plug & play. I run such a card from a GT70 2OC in my Medion X6819 (MS-16F2 barebone). In the Medion X6811 (MS-16F1) from my wife but does the card without problems.

Hi there,

This is my first post in this forum.

I think about replacing my GTX570m with a GTX770m in my Medion Erazer x6819.

I have read that the only one card that works is a blue, pulled from a clevo.

Now iTzZent states that the green from MSI works as well (or even better).

So could this card

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for MSI Alienware | eBay

work?

Or should i take this one

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 for clevo alienware msi upgrademonkey in stock | eBay

and modify the inf everytime i update the drivers?

And how about those inf? Can I modify them by myself if i know what to do/add?

Thanks a lot for your help, especialy if iTzZent could offer some first Hand help. He seems to have modified the exakt same laptop.

Kind regards,

Hermelinmaster

The thing is I have that on HOLD. Im putting together my new desktop and since the MSI is my only work tool I don´t want to mess it up. So I think next week im gonna be ready to do with it what ever you people suggest. But till then no messing arround with it.

Hi there,

This is my first post in this forum.

I think about replacing my GTX570m with a GTX770m in my Medion Erazer x6819.

I have read that the only one card that works is a blue, pulled from a clevo.

Now iTzZent states that the green from MSI works as well (or even better).

So could this card

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 MXM 3.0 Type B for MSI Alienware | eBay

work?

Or should i take this one

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 for clevo alienware msi upgrademonkey in stock | eBay

and modify the inf everytime i update the drivers?

And how about those inf? Can I modify them by myself if i know what to do/add?

Thanks a lot for your help, especialy if iTzZent could offer some first Hand help. He seems to have modified the exakt same laptop.

Kind regards,

Hermelinmaster

From the looks of it, your laptop is built on the GT680 chassis. If that's the case then the Green MSI 770m should work just fine. I had one in my GT680 and it ran beautifully, just be sure to have your bios and EC updated to the latest versions and it should be plug and play.

Hi guys, been reading the forum A LOT.

As you know the 675m was a victim of NVIDIA´S faulty drivers and stopped working. After lots of unsuccesful tries, different spells, witchcraft and sorcery, I decided to go for the ONLY solution which is...

GPU REPLACEMENT.

Now, im going back to desktop so performance is not an issue, i just want to spend as less money as possible. Which are my options in terms of compatibility ???

I`ve read a lot about people moving to 680m ( almost 600 USD on ebay) but not about 770m ( 400 USD on EBAY) what´s the deal?? isn´t 770m compatible ?

Best regards and help you can help me choose the replacement ! Greetings from Argentina!

PD: Sorry for the bad english ;)

what's this about 675m nvidia faulty driver? is that why my 675m on gt70 0ND stopped working?

been trying google but cant' seem to find the relevant article

and right as the warranty ends for me. sigh.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Inches,

Thanks for your replie.

I already ordered the green gtx770m. Lets see how this works. I ordered a New heatpipe and New thermal compound, too.

But can you tell me what the EC is and how to flash it. And what advantages do I get from that?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Hermelinmaster

It's the Embedded Controller. It mainly controls the chassis fan, but it does have some minor play in GPU compatibility. It has to be flashed from a bootable usb in DOS, and the only advantage I knew of was to ensure that there wasn't anything embedded that would keep the notebook from supporting the new GPU. I know most, times manufactures will put the GPU whitelist in the bios, but it doesn't hurt to have the latest EC.

If you are trying to replace it with something "similar" I'd go for GTX770M Clevo version (not the one pulled from alienware)

You can distinguish the card by its blue board. Dell cards are green - these are not compatible with MSI.

post-7316-14494998491634_thumb.jpg

So its confirmed then. Blue or Green board is MSI compatible. Just search on ebay. some sellers post it there

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12777[/ATTACH]

So its confirmed then. Blue or Green board is MSI compatible. Just search on ebay. some sellers post it there

That card does NOT work in GT780. I've tried 3 different cards from DELL.

It MIGHT work in GT70 or GT72. However, on Sandy Bridge version (GT780/GX780) works only the blue card from clevo.

I had problem with a MSI GT70. From this day i dont know what it was wrong. But i got bluescreens all the time. And my warranty was gone. Luckily i posted how i got treated from the company och a social website and luckily i got a new computer (lenovo y500)

The GTX770M cards directly from MSI devices (GT60 2OC / GT70 2OC / Medion X7825) also have a green PCB and work perfectly via Plug & Play. Just install it and get started. It is also required no modified driver or VBIOS.

now thats good to hear that there are no modified driver of vbios to install the the drivers

@Bugii This is wrong. The GTX770M cards directly from MSI devices (GT60 2OC / GT70 2OC / Medion X7825) also have a green PCB and work perfectly via Plug & Play. Just install it and get started. It is also required no modified driver or VBIOS.

NO, these cards DOES NOT work in Sandy Bridge laptops - GT780R. They work in GT70. Not in GT780.

yes... and the best is...the card works also perfectly in the old MS-16F1 Barebone.

Are you sure ?

I've tried 5 such cards. Directly from MSI GT70 in both GT780DXR (MS-1761) and GT683 (MS-16F2) and none of them booted.

Tried 3 dell cards same result.

Tried 2 clevo cards and they both worked.

Some pics from my Device...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12811[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12812[/ATTACH]

This GTX770M has a green PCB and comes from a GT70 2OC.

And i have tested this card also in the Medion X6811 (MS-16F1) from my wife. Works great, but the 150W PSU is a little bit to weak.

Well this is strange... I've also tried those cards and couldnt boot.. it was stuck on MSI splash screen... strange.. probably some different revision ?

Not sure...

Which bios version do you have on it? I had exactly the same problem with too old a bios version for a GT60 0NC. No sooner was because the 51x bios on it, the graphics card (a GTX780M then) ran perfectly. Did you have as well as the original MSI GTX770M?