DAMN YOU MSI - 675M REPLACEMENT - 770m or 680m ?????

ALEMAGNO31

Hi guys, been reading the forum A LOT.

As you know the 675m was a victim of NVIDIA´S faulty drivers and stopped working. After lots of unsuccesful tries, different spells, witchcraft and sorcery, I decided to go for the ONLY solution which is...

GPU REPLACEMENT.

Now, im going back to desktop so performance is not an issue, i just want to spend as less money as possible. Which are my options in terms of compatibility ???

I`ve read a lot about people moving to 680m ( almost 600 USD on ebay) but not about 770m ( 400 USD on EBAY) what´s the deal?? isn´t 770m compatible ?

Best regards and help you can help me choose the replacement ! Greetings from Argentina!

PD: Sorry for the bad english ;)

You didnt tell us what model do you have. GT780? GT70?

680M, 675MX, 670MX are not compatible with sandy bridge models - 1761(GT780DXR), 16f2(GT683DXR),

Any fermi based card should work. The only Kepler that works is 770M-clevo

Now, im going back to desktop so performance is not an issue, i just want to spend as less money as possible.

GT555M ?

GT280M ?

If you are not planning to play games on that laptop anymore, buy the cheapest MXM3.0b card you can find. Maybe even radeon HD5870M

If you are trying to replace it with something "similar" I'd go for GTX770M Clevo version (not the one pulled from alienware)

You can distinguish the card by its blue board. Dell cards are green - these are not compatible with MSI.

560M, 570M, 675M dell cards work fine. 770M has to be clevo.

I`ve read a lot about people moving to 680m ( almost 600 USD on ebay) but not about 770m ( 400 USD on EBAY) what´s the deal?? isn´t 770m compatible ?

The deal is 680M is A LOT faster than 770M, that's probably why 770m is cheaper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanx a lot for your answer Bugii !!!

I own a GT70 444US by the way ;)

I just want to replace the gpu, so that I can sell it, but has to have a decent gaming GPU so that it stands out from regular laptops.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 for Clevo MSI alienware upgrade monkey

U say that "should" work on my laptop? It´s a lot of money and i´m a bit scared of making a wrong choice since I´m a noob in this area.

The different achitecture wouldn´t be a problem here ? I mean, 675m is fermi and 770m is kepler... the heatsinks will fit??

I know that getting the GPU replacement is only HALF the work , i have to do the proper driver install and for what i´ve read is not an easy task...

Sorry if seem so doubtufll and thanx again for your time and answer!

Alex.

I have the same laptop and I ordered the 770m on eBay. I got the MSI model and while my laptop saw and loaded the nvidia drivers just fine, the laptop would BSOD when every I tried playing a game. I couldn't tell you if the card was defective or not... Just that it wouldn't work. I have since got a 680M (the 2gb version from Dell) and it runs very nice, however the fan controller doesn't work

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the same laptop and I ordered the 770m on eBay. I got the MSI model and while my laptop saw and loaded the nvidia drivers just fine, the laptop would BSOD when every I tried playing a game. I couldn't tell you if the card was defective or not... Just that it wouldn't work. I have since got a 680M (the 2gb version from Dell) and it runs very nice, however the fan controller doesn't work

Did you get the BLUE ONE? I was talking with Bugii and it seems he had no problem with 770m on his laptop. Could you send me the link to both the GPU´s you bought?? the 770m and the 2gb from Dell ??

Thanx a lot man!! I was just about to buy the 770m but now that you post this... im getting a bit scared...

Good!! I was worried as I replied a while ago and was hoping to stop you. Unfortunately, being that I am a new member, my post have to be approved.

Here's the actual card I sent back...

post-27578-14494998174686_thumb.jpg

I bought the card on eBay from blairsville-tech-support (my item 151285846218). They were super cool and really tried to help me get this working; they even sent me a different heatsinks to try. They're in Georgia, USA and I'd do business with them again.

No pictures of the new one as it was installed by Powernotebooks

Wow!! Thanx a lot again man, as I replied earlier, that is not the "clevo" version. Im waiting for Bugii´s reply on this since he got the Clevo version ande he stated that it worked just fine 4 him and he´s being also VERY helpful on this subject. Which MSI model do you have??? u had the same 675m faulty GPU? Thanx a lot again 4 your time!

Thanx a lot for your answer Bugii !!!

I own a GT70 444US by the way ;)

I just want to replace the gpu, so that I can sell it, but has to have a decent gaming GPU so that it stands out from regular laptops.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M 3GB DDR5 for Clevo MSI alienware upgrade monkey

U say that "should" work on my laptop? It´s a lot of money and i´m a bit scared of making a wrong choice since I´m a noob in this area.

The different achitecture wouldn´t be a problem here ? I mean, 675m is fermi and 770m is kepler... the heatsinks will fit??

I know that getting the GPU replacement is only HALF the work , i have to do the proper driver install and for what i´ve read is not an easy task...

Sorry if seem so doubtufll and thanx again for your time and answer!

Alex.

different architecture is not a problem... its the way the card is built. Thats why only clevo 770m works. for some reason the dell card has different layout (all the electrical parts, chip is the same, but its the rest of the card that is different.)

I have GT780 with GT555M, upgraded to GTX560M, later upgraded to 675M, then to 7970M and then downgraded to GTX770M because I need cuda.

All cards worked perfectly. And thats sandy bridge, your laptop (GT70) is newer, and it is even shipped with kepler cards. Just get the clevo card.

Heatsink from 675M and 770M is (almost) identical. - some little chips are not covered correctly but it doesnt matter.

I had to bought new heatsik when I went from 560M to 675M. Using 675M heatsink with my 770M even right now!

- - - Updated - - -

Good!! I was worried as I replied a while ago and was hoping to stop you. Unfortunately, being that I am a new member, my post have to be approved.

Here's the actual card I sent back...

[ATTACH]12244[/ATTACH]

I bought the card on eBay from blairsville-tech-support (my item 151285846218). They were super cool and really tried to help me get this working; they even sent me a different heatsinks to try. They're in Georgia, USA and I'd do business with them again.

No pictures of the new one as it was installed by Powernotebooks

this is dell card. it doesnt work in MSI.

Even if you flash vBIOS it wont post. Tried it. You can see bios splash screen but it wont get past that point.

You need the blue card pulled from clevo laptop.

U say that "should" work on my laptop? It´s a lot of money and i´m a bit scared of making a wrong choice

I said "should" because there is always a tiny little chance it wont work. What if the card will be damaged? You will need to return it in warranty. But I'm definitely SURE this is the right card. It's not about wrong decision, blue (clevo) card is confirmed to work.

If it won't it's the dead card, not incompatible card. If that happens, just contact seller and let him know the card is Dead on arrival.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a PowerPro R 12:17-675 (MSI 937-176252-025) from PowerNotebooks and I recently had them replace my fried GTX 675M with a GTX 680M (from Dell; this version has 2GB vRAM instead of the 4GB vRAM that comes with the MSI version).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12304[/ATTACH]

Got this one just yesterday. My brother is in Virginia and is coming back with it next week. As soon as I get it i'll be sending PM to all of you so you can help me install it!!! Bugii, is this the one u got?? Best regards!!

Yes, that's the one.

You don't even need to flash vbios, jsut install drivers with modded inf. You can find modded inf in the laptopvideo2go site I've sent you by PM.

with the green PCB GTX770M from MSI (GT60 2OC / GT 70 2OC / Medion Erazer X7825)

you do not need modified drivers. The card works great plug & play. I run such a card from a GT70 2OC in my Medion X6819 (MS-16F2 barebone). In the Medion X6811 (MS-16F1) from my wife but does the card without problems.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I replaced the 675m with the 770m clevo. Placed the thermal pads and everything.

Booting, no problems!

The system was able to find the gpu as "Microsoft Display .....". At that point I was jumping with excitment.

Downloaded the 337.88 nvidia drivers and the modified Inf.

UNLUCKILY... everything went downhill from here. Tried to Install the nvidia drivers and as expected "no compatible device hardware was found" sign appeared . The temporary "c:\nvidia\....." was created and I was prepeared to replace the modified inf. The thing is the modified inf was named nv_dipsi.inf and didn´t find that file name in the NVIDIA forlder. There is a file named "nv_disp.inf" .

I tried renaming the file, copying the conten from the modified to the other.... and such.

This time when installilng, instead of "no hardware found" I got "required files for installation missing" . So , i supposed the *.INF worked at some level, but was still unable to complete installation. So Im at a dead end and need your help guys! I can send u whatever files or system information u require in order to get this 770m working.

Any chance I should flash vbios??

Best regards!!!!