Intel Core i7 4930mx damaged/missing capacitors

guilhrme

Hello,

Last week I had tried to change the default processor thermal grease to a Coollaboratory Liquid Metal Pad on my Alienware 18. After carefully applied, I turned on my laptop and I did some load tests (wPrime) to monitor the cpu temps. After some seconds, I heard a noise inside my laptop and it becomes turned off. The next time that I had tried to turn on the laptop, It beeped 5 or 7 times. So, I decided to open the laptop and examine what happened. When I removed the processor I saw that the Liquid Pad had leaked and reached some Die Side Capacitors. So, I removed the Liquid Metal Pad, and as gift it brings to me two capacitors together! I reseated the processor again and I turned on the laptop again. It works fine. I did various tests and it appears to be Ok with exception of Intel Processor Diagnostic Tools that stuck on Reading Cache Size step. I would like to know if these missing capacitors has some importance or cause some issues in case they are missing/damaged. What you recommend? Theres some way to test all components? Can I replace these capacitors for another? If yes, whats the specification? I dont took a picture of cpu, but on the following link I marked the capacitors of red. Very Thanks.

post-7556-14494998130478_thumb.jpg

It should be fine. Mobile Ivy Bridge doesn't have any topside capacitors at all, those this is just a little bit of extra filtering. Maybe you lost 1MHz on how high the chip can clock when overclocking.

They may be replaceable but you likely ripped out the contacts for the caps. Even if they are still there, I wouldn't bother since you'd probably cause accidental damage to other caps trying to put replacements in since they are so small.

It should be fine. Mobile Ivy Bridge doesn't have any topside capacitors at all, those this is just a little bit of extra filtering. Maybe you lost 1MHz on how high the chip can clock when overclocking.

They may be replaceable but you likely ripped out the contacts for the caps. Even if they are still there, I wouldn't bother since you'd probably cause accidental damage to other caps trying to put replacements in since they are so small.

Everything seems to work really well. Temperatures, speeds, benchmarks, etc. But how is an expensive component, it is always good to have some help from those who understand. Thank you very much.

• 3 years later...

Another i7-4930MX owner here, also lost a cap when cleaning thermal paste off. I haven't booted yet, but I'm glad to hear my initial suspicion (that it was just an extra filtering cap) might be right. I hate these tiny SMD components, I can't even figure out where it went!

Looking at it under the microscope, it *almost* looks like it's a bad solder joint? Could the ArctiClean have *dissolved* the cap?

Lemme see if I can post the microscope pics.

I'm having trouble uploading the pics due to the size restrictions, so I'll only upload one of the microscope pics.

IMG_20171115_185940_20171115200346523.jpg