Favorite TV Shows / Newsgroups Discussion

Michael

• Founder

Me and my wife are TV shows Junkies lol

I got a whole automatic setup (maybe another thread detailing it in the future) going on on my HTPC that downloads the shows, sorts them and displays them nicely in XBMC w/o intervention.

So, here's my list of favourites, running and finished :

• Game Of Thrones (of course :) )
  • Hell on Wheels
  • Ray Donovan
  • Orange Is The New Black
  • Weeds
  • True Blood
  • True Detective
  • Sons of Anarchy
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Six Feet Under
  • Entourage
  • The Good Wife
  • Big Bang Theory
  • Modern Family
  • Brooklyn Nine Nine
  • Homeland
  • Walking Dead
  • Hannibal
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • Mad Men
  • Parks & Recreation
  • The Newsroom
  • Vikings
  • Breaking Bad
  • Californication
  • Dexter
  • Fringe
  • House
  • Spartacus
  • Prison Break
  • Sopranos

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't watch TV at all. But I sure do watch a lot of anime (so JP TV I guess lol). I'm up for reading about your automated system however @@!

I was thinking about doing the same thing but for grabbing anime, but I have to wait for internet to ever arrive in my area xD

• Founder

I won't make a detailed config post for now but basically what i use is :

A newsgroups subscription (i use supernews.com)

A good nzb indexer ( i use nzbs.org)

SABnzbd

SickBeard

XBMC

Installing and configuring all these will give you 99% automation.

Sickbeard monitors the TV Shows that you watch and once a new episode is out will notify sabnzbd to start downloading it, once it's downloaded it's processed and XBMC is notified to update library and show the fresh episode in the list.

• Thumbs Up 3

I love Game of Thrones! I also like:

Hannibal

The Following

Under the Dome

Suits

Scrubs

The Big Bang Theory

Modern Family

Hostages

House

Sleepy Hollow

The Walking Dead

Breaking Bad

American Horror Story

Theres also a new show that's coming out, it's called Gracepoint. I don't know much about it but it looks like it might be interesting.

totally interested in your setup michael. i don't have cable or satellite, mostly using netflix and hulu+ for all my show. i don't get game of thrones :( and i'm a season behind on all the latest stuff.

so far alot of us have the same taste in tv shows :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
totally interested in your setup michael. i don't have cable or satellite, mostly using netflix and hulu+ for all my show. i don't get game of thrones :( and i'm a season behind on all the latest stuff.

so far alot of us have the same taste in tv shows :)

boobs. the setup is what I listen a few posts back.

do you have a newsgroups subscription?

boobs. the setup is what I listen a few posts back.

do you have a newsgroups subscription?

No I don't. Not even sure what that is exactly. Relayed on cable mostly but decided to drop everything for Netflix and Hulu a few months back to save money.

• Founder
No I don't. Not even sure what that is exactly. Relayed on cable mostly but decided to drop everything for Netflix and Hulu a few months back to save money.

newsgroups is a paid service (usually, some Internet providers give it for free but it almost always sucks), costs around 10 bucks a month. it lets you download shows/movies/games with amazing speed. kind of bitorrent but better.

check out supernews.com

once you have an account the rest is quite straight forward.

you configure sick beard to monitor all the shows you like, once a show is released it notifies your a newsgroup client (just like utorrent for torrents), best one is sabnzbd and once the episode is downloaded it notified xbmc to refresh library and show the episode.

so you'll need

1. newsgroups subscription

2. install and configure sabnzbd

3. install and configure xbmc

4. install and configure sickbeard

that's pretty much it.

I can help you out during the process, just don't have time to create a step by step.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
oh man!! i didn't even know that there was this kind of service available. nice!!!! i'm gonna gave it a try, if i run into anything, i'll let you know.

good luck! there must be tons of tutorials online of how to configure all that. in any case I am here if u need me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
My top favorite tv-show is definitely Parks and Recreation, followed by The Big Bang Therory and Breaking Bad !

if you like parks and recreation you should definitely check out Brooklyn nine nine and community!

• Thumbs Up 2

House of Cards, Community, Arrow (and potentially Flash and Gotham starting soon) Game of Thrones, Tyrant. I also watch some regular stuff like Bones, Criminal Minds, Mentalist etc. Graceland and Suits are also good.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't watch TV. The only series I followed last year was South Park. Gonna watch the new season as well. Starting next month :)

Haven't seen this listed here... nobody watching? :D

• Thumbs Up 1

It sure is, at least imho. Especially their references on very recent topics. Since they don't produce the episodes in advance they can easily react and comment on things that are in the news at the time a new episode gets released.

If you like Game of Thrones you really have to watch at least some episodes of the last season... it's a brilliant parody of GoT (among other things, e.g. the console war... simply hillarious :D)

• Thumbs Up 2

oh yeah. Banshee is excellent!

I don't feel it's getting the attention it deserves. Maybe because it's a little crazy, but after The Walking Dead, it's my next favourite.

Just realized that I forgot Firefly!

• Founder
I don't feel it's getting the attention it deserves. Maybe because it's a little crazy, but after The Walking Dead, it's my next favourite.

Just realized that I forgot Firefly!

Yep, definitely one of the best ones.

I also like Ray Donovan, not the same but similar ;-)