15" Lenovo W540 + R9_290X/GTX780Ti@10Gbps/4Gbps (Sonnet EE SE2/PE4L 2.1b) [gothic860]

10Gbps Thunderbolt1:

Hard- and Software:

- Sonnet Echo SE2 (Akitio was unstable even with an powered riser)

- DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 software

- DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)

- EVGA 780Ti (no OC)

- Windows 8.1 x64

- ThinkPad W540

1. Disable and uninstall the dGPU (DDU)

2. Use DIY eGPU Setup to disable the dGPU

3. PCI compaction on iGPU + chainload with mbr into Windows

4. Attach the powered eGPU and install the NVidia drivers (screen may flicker when the eGPU gets recognized)

5. Edit your startup.bat with:

call iport dGPU off

call pci

:end

call chainload mbr

After restart you just need to select the automatic startup.bat and Windows 8.1 makes the rest.

The "trick" is just to never install the dGPU or you wont get any displayoutput with the eGPU.

4Gbps Expresscard2:

Hard- and Software:

- PE4L 2.1b

- DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 software

- Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC

- Gainward GTX 780Ti Phantom

- Windows 7

- ThinkPad W540

AMD-Cards:

1. Install eGPU Setup and mount the setup

2. Edit the startup.bat like this:

b7a0fe343247797.jpg

3. Shut down the laptop

4. Start the laptop and use the startup.bat in eGPU Setup

6. Attach the PE4L 2.1b (while the eGPU is powered on, no need to sleep)

7. Install Catalyst Driver (maybe reboot)

When everything is installed and working you can also boot with attached and powered eGPU (no need to hotplug or anything).

NVidia-Cards:

Problem with the NVidia cards was error12 even after a successfull compaction. I get rid of it with the following entry in startup.bat:

call iport dGPU off

call vidwait 60 10de:100a (vendor and device ID of your eGPU)

call vidinit -d 10de:100a (vendor and device ID of your eGPU)

setpci -s 4:0.0 BASE_ADDRESS_5=d001

setpci -s 0:1c.2 1c.b=d0 1d.b=d0

:end

call chainload mbr

see nandos post: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html (Even after successful compaction I still get a error 12: cannot allocate resources in Device Manager)

after a successfull compaction of iGPU and eGPU you get the following 2 lines in the pci.bat you need for the startup.bat:

1ce414345111845.jpg

The rest is nearly the same. Just attach it install the NVidia drivers and reboot with the edited startup.bat

Thats it. Feel free to ask any questions.

Benchmarks:

876/1750 780Ti (10Gbps Thunderbolt1 + Windows 8.1 !!! I was always getting lower scores with W8.1 even with my PE4L, so dont take it too seriously !!!):

3DMark06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (23155)

3DMark Vant: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=38269)

3DMark 11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=10820)

3DMark 13: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (fs.gpu=9318)

980/1750 780Ti OCed (4Gbps Expresscard2 + Win7/64):

3DMark 06: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (31511)

3DMark Vant: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=40866)

3DMark 11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=12823)

3DMark 13: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (fs.gpu=10738)

R9 290X (4Gbps Expresscard2 + Win8.1):

3DMark06 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (25985)

3DMark11 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=14799)

3DMark13 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (fs.gpu=10722)

R9 290X (4Gbps Expresscard + Win7/64):

3DMark06 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (31046)

3DMark Vant : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=40342)

3DMark11 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (gpu=14945)

3DMark13 : AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Processor,LENOVO 20BG001CMD (fs.gpu=10983)

• Thumbs Up 3

Congratulations. Great 3dmark11 graphics score with the R9 290X but the 7108 physics (CPU) score is low for a quad core.

This is due to your CPU being TDP throttled to 47W. You can use XTU or Throttlestop to apply a negative offset voltage to undervolt it which will then allow higher multipliers to work within the TDP limit. That's what I did with a i7-4800MQ and managed a physics score of 8537, 20% more than your score: AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4800MQ,Dell Inc. 0YX2X3 .

As it is now you are not getting anything more than what an i7-4700MQ could do. This makes the i7-4900MQ questionable value in TDP-locked systems like a Lenovo W540.

This is due to your CPU being TDP throttled to 47W. You can use XTU or Throttlestop to apply a negative offset voltage to undervolt it which will then allow higher multipliers to work within the TDP limit. That's what I did with a i7-4800MQ and managed a physics score of 8537, 20% more than your score: AMD Radeon R9 280X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4800MQ,Dell Inc. 0YX2X3 .

Thanks. I will try throttlestop later today and report. Looks like its a common problem with the W540 :(.

Why close the lid? Can you explain?

Sleep.

EDIT: Sleep isnt necessary!

dsdt.zip

with Throttlestop (stable -85mv and some other changes): AMD Radeon R9 290X video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4900MQ,LENOVO 20BG001CMD

Maybe a problem with Windows 8.1? I dont think its a CPU throttle problem....

By setting the Power Plan to 100% CPU min and max I was able to maximize the undervolt to a -130mV offset on my i7-4800MQ. That's because the CPU stays in the higher multis with higher VIDs where such a high undervolt doesn't crash the system. The undervolt then allowing Throttlestop TS-bench 4-core bench to maintain a x35 multiplier during it's test.

In stock form, with no undervolt, TS-bench would only do x32. See http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 . Details of how to do the TS-bench are linked at the bottom of that table if you want to see how well your i7-4900MQ does.

You'll also be able to monitor your temps during the TS-bench to see if you encounter thermal throttling. Wouldn't expect it in a 15" premium workstation, but never know.

Oh.. and if your BIOS allows a dedicated dGPU-only mode, with no Optimus, then you'll also see the CPU (physics score) increase substantially. That's because the iGPU will be completely disabled granting the full 47W TDP for CPU use. Eg: squinks dGPU-only Macbook Pro with a i7-4850HQ managing a 9849 3dmark11 physics score with Win8.1 : Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4850HQ,Apple Inc. Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663 . That too was with a XTU/Throttlestop undervolt.

By setting the Power Plan to 100% CPU min and max I was able to maximize the undervolt to a -130mV offset on my i7-4800MQ. That's because the CPU stays in the higher multis with higher VIDs where such a high undervolt doesn't crash the system. The undervolt then allowing Throttlestop TS-bench 4-core bench to maintain a x35 multiplier during it's test.

I tested it with Prime95, but i cant undervolt more then -85mv or i get a error in 1 or more cores. Powermanagment and BIOS settings are all at maximium performance.

In stock form, with no undervolt, TS-bench would only do x32. See Is Haswell a step backwards from Ivy Bridge? I have some shocking TDP results . . . . Details of how to do the TS-bench are linked at the bottom of that table if you want to see how well your i7-4900MQ does.

CPU went from 2,8GHz to about 3,3GHz with 100% CPU, so i think its a good result.

You'll also be able to monitor your temps during the TS-bench to see if you encounter thermal throttling. Wouldn't expect it in a 15" premium workstation, but never know.

CPU is about 84C° in Prime95 so thermal throttling shouldnt be a problem.

Oh.. and if your BIOS allows a dedicated dGPU-only mode, with no Optimus, then you'll also see the CPU (physics score) increase substantially. That's because the iGPU will be completely disabled granting the full 47W TDP for CPU use. Eg: squinks dGPU-only Macbook Pro with a i7-4850HQ managing a 9849 3dmark11 physics score with Win8.1: Generic VGA video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7 4850HQ,Apple Inc. Mac-2BD1B31983FE1663 . That too was with a XTU/Throttlestop undervolt.

The old ThinkPad W530 had that option to disable Optimus and so on, unfortunately they removed it.

Overall its a good performanceboost (Cinebench for example went from 610 to 680) and i think i stick with it even if the physics score is a bit low.

I tested it with Prime95, but i cant undervolt more then -85mv or i get a error in 1 or more cores. Powermanagment and BIOS settings are all at maximium performance.

CPU went from 2,8GHz to about 3,3GHz with 100% CPU, so i think its a good result.

CPU is about 84C° in Prime95 so thermal throttling shouldnt be a problem.

The old ThinkPad W530 had that option to disable Optimus and so on, unfortunately they removed it.

Overall its a good performanceboost (Cinebench for example went from 610 to 680) and i think i stick with it even if the physics score is a bit low.

Ok then. squinks too could only get a stable ~-85mv undervolt with his i7-4850HQ.

I've added your new 3dmk11 score to the opening post.

Can you do 3dmk06, vantage and a new 3dmk13 run and add those to the opening post? With that new content I can your W540 system to the dx9, dx10 and dx11 sections of the implementations/leaderboard. You're the first to do it on one of those.

• 1 month later...

Yup, Win8.1 was giving lower-than-expected CPU/physics scores. Testing with Win7 now comparable against the other existing mostly Win7 EC/mPCIe results.

Any chance you still can get access to the R9 290X?

It's at the top of the DX11 leaderboard for a single-GPU, ahead of even GTX970/980, and that's at x1 2.0 4Gbps link speed. It would do even better on the 10Gbps-TB1 link. http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11

Any chance you still can get access to the R9 290X? I

t's at the top of the DX11 leaderboard for a single-GPU, ahead of even GTX970/980, and that's at x1 2.0 4Gbps link speed. It would do even better on the 10Gbps-TB1 link.Implementations Hub: TB, EC, mPCIe

My friend has a R9 290X and i get it to test on monday. I will post results. Maybe WoW is working now with the new released Catalyst driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Atm the Card is recognized and i get a display but then it just freezes (sometimes after 1sec. sometimes after 20sec.). I dont get a BSOD or anything. I will try some other stuff later and report but i dont think i can get it working.

EDIT: Sorry, no chance. Maybe a driver problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

I hope someone can help me... I'm desperate :D

After hours upon hours of testing, I x have a few questions. My System:

Thinkpad w540 i7 4710MQ

dGPU k1100m quadro

eGPU gtx 960 4gb

via expresscard slot, which seems to be pci slot 4

Everything seems fine but I keep getting either error 12 or 43 in DM and I cant figure out why. I tried a DSDT override - got bluescreen.

PCI compaction seems to work fine. I uninstalled and installed drivers like crazy for hours and tested. I tried a whole lot of different configurations in setup 1.30 and I keep getting this error. Since I'm not a professional I don't understand exactly what the problem is. I think that this configuration should work, since I saw other people on internet running similar configurations, but I cant figure it out.

• 5 months later...

gothic860 - do you have any idea why the Atikito didn't work with the Thinkpad? I was hoping to get a W* series that has TB2 and use that my eGPU connection, but I can only see people using the EC (with low efficiency) or the more expensive (and very hard to source in the UK) Sonnet EE SE-II.

My main goal is Thinkpad w/ internal display eGPU (probably a 970).

gothic860 - do you have any idea why the Atikito didn't work with the Thinkpad? I was hoping to get a W* series that has TB2 and use that my eGPU connection, but I can only see people using the EC (with low efficiency) or the more expensive (and very hard to source in the UK) Sonnet EE SE-II.

My main goal is Thinkpadw/ internal display eGPU (probably a 970).

Really dont know, maybe it was a faulty Akitio or faulty drivers or just a Windows problem... but after some time of gaming or when it was loading a new zone i was getting a black screen and sometimes a BSOD. Try it and if you have problems just send it back :).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gothic860, I'm having trouble getting my w540 to recogtnize my egpu. It doesn't show up in device manager. I have not installed egpu setup because my drive format is UEFI/GPT instead of MBR. Do I have to convert my drive before it will get recognized? I'm trying to install a gtx480

• 9 months later...

I have Lenovo W540 and Nvidia GTX780 Ti laying around (It was a gift to me by her since she replaced it with GTX 1070 on her gaming pc. I wonder why?), I plan to buy an egpu kit PE4C-EC060A V3.0 ( eGPU PCIe x16 interface for ExpressCard). I wonder, is it possible to just disable the quadro k1100m rather than uninstall it? I always bring and using my laptop for cad and v-ray rendering and the quadro dgpu is benefit for me when at work. I want to play high graphic games like Metro, Call of Duty, etc at home but the quadro is not benefit for gaming so I plan on building egpu and disabled only when gaming at home and enabled when I'm at working place.

• 3 years later...
On 8/24/2016 at 9:35 AM, Chrono said:

I have Lenovo W540 and Nvidia GTX780 Ti laying around (It was a gift to me by her since she replaced it with GTX 1070 on her gaming pc. I wonder why?), I plan to buy an egpu kit PE4C-EC060A V3.0 ( eGPU PCIe x16 interface for ExpressCard). I wonder, is it possible to just disable the quadro k1100m rather than uninstall it? I always bring and using my laptop for cad and v-ray rendering and the quadro dgpu is benefit for me when at work. I want to play high graphic games like Metro, Call of Duty, etc at home but the quadro is not benefit for gaming so I plan on building egpu and disabled only when gaming at home and enabled when I'm at working place.

sorry for the resurrection, but as someone who just bought a W540 I'm very interested to hear how everyone in this thread got on, a few years later.

On 10/20/2015 at 6:46 AM, gothic860 said:

Really dont know, maybe it was a faulty Akitio or faulty drivers or just a Windows problem... but after some time of gaming or when it was loading a new zone i was getting a black screen and sometimes a BSOD. Try it and if you have problems just send it back :).

Are you still getting BSODs [if you have the same laptop]?