y510p LCD Overclock

allstone

As you all know (or will know from now on), it is technically possible to overclock LCD. As I want to keep it simple, you can imagine CPU voltage as analog, or GPU overclock possibilities as analog situation: LCD manufactures makes LCD and some of them has different maximum refresh rate than others. But they make them work at some stock voltage on which all the LCD panels work. As it happens y510p refresh rate is 59/60 set by manufacturer. It works on both of these fine, be it on Intel HD, 1xGPU or 2XGPU setup. If you did not mind bigger refresh rate before, please check on any gaming monitors out there (i.e. BenQ XL & RL Series | BenQ Gaming Monitor) - refresh rates really does make a difference.

So, how do you test it? For 2xGPU notebook its quite simple - you go into Nvidia Control panel and make custom resolution. Try in 5 Hz increments and move upwards 65,70,75. When resolution is applied, screen should be working. Also you need to restart the browser to get new refresh rate from the system. Apparently, when the screen goes dark, I always need to restart the PC as it does not come back to the previous resolution.

post-27390-14494998115413_thumb.png

For 1xGPU setup Nvidia control panel does not let you change resolution. And integrated HD 4600 software does not neither. There are plenty of programs that enables any refresh rate on any resolution for Windows but be careful with 3rd party ones - I tried several, they needed the reboot, and after that system hung up in a cycle of never ending reboots.. until I put second GPU card in and that fixed everything.

I have y510p with glossy screen (same as in Y500 LP156WF1-TLC1). Should be similar as in y500. My screen runs at maximum of 103Hz. Games run smother even after setting 80Hz, but 103Hz they look even more nicer, even disabling Vsync kind of looks better than on stock 60Hz.

VALID Screenshot from Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests

post-27390-14494998113684_thumb.png

And photo taken with my camera of that page:

post-27390-14494998114421_thumb.jpg

Seems smooth..

@Jerenny pmed me with another y510p anti-glare screen, hes been able to produce 80Hz. Is that the maximum, Jerenny?

What about others? What about those "kind of better" matte screens (LP156WF1-TLB2), can they be overclocked even more?

P.S. For example, someone was so lucky as to get 180Hz-able laptop screen: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=188

Edit: so it seems a lot of LP156WF1-TLB2 (matte, non-glossy) screens are able to be overclocked up to 83Hz, but 80Hz stable.

Edit: and it seems a lot of LP156WF1-TLC1 (glossy) screens are able to be overclocked up to 103Hz, but 100Hz stable.

• Thumbs Up 2

What about others? What about those "kind of better" matte screens (LP156WF1-TLB2), can they be overclocked even more?
Panel compare, TLB2 vs. TLC1

• newer production series (+1 year)
  • higher power consumption backlight
  • higher brightness & contrast

Though the last item is of course due to the backlight (dialled up to offset the antiglare coating).

If there'd be a difference, guess most would be due to it being a later series.

I also got max of 103Hz on my Y510p with glossy screen. According to HWiNFO my monitor is LP156WF1-TLC2.

But at 103Hz I see a little flickering(almost none) so I now keep it at 100Hz. At 104Hz and above, display will turn black and my laptop will freeze.

Edit: Now I'm back to 75Hz since I start to notice some artifact(scan lines).

• Thumbs Up 1

Why in my Nvidia control panel i not see Display and Video settings?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12178[/ATTACH]

Do you have a Y510p/Y410p without SLI? If so, you're out of luck with LCD overclocking due to Optimus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even with CRU?

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

This is what I have for my 650m SLI Y500

LCD overclocking doesn't work with Optimus so the single GPU Y510p/Y410p is out of luck. That's why when OP tried some 3rd party utilities (maybe CRU?) on his Y510p without Ultrabay GPU installed it didn't work. It works on all Y500/Y400 since the Intel iGPU is physically disabled.

The max stable I can get is ~100 Hz on my Y500. It has the glossy LG Phillips LP156WF1-TLC1 panel, same as OP.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to use 90 Hz since it's a multiple of 30 Hz and all online videos and DVD's are at 30 FPS?

Another thing I've noticed is that battery life is considerably lower with an overclocked LCD because the GPU doesn't downclock like it normally does, even on the desktop.

The max stable I can get is ~100 Hz on my Y500. It has the glossy LG Phillips LP156WF1-TLC1 panel, same as OP.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to use 90 Hz since it's a multiple of 30 Hz and all online videos and DVD's are at 30 FPS?

Another thing I've noticed is that battery life is considerably lower with an overclocked LCD because the GPU doesn't downclock like it normally does, even on the desktop.

Try 72Hz which is a standard refresh rate, and it will downclock. ( Hopefully)

90 will be ok for 30Hz videos, youtube, some ntsc dvd,( actually 29.97 fps) , but 24Hz is more common in video formats, bluray, dvd even. To be exact it is 23.976. So use 72 or 71.928 for those.

Try 72Hz which is a standard refresh rate, and it will downclock. ( Hopefully)

90 will be ok for 30Hz videos, youtube, some ntsc dvd,( actually 29.97 fps) , but 24Hz is more common in video formats, bluray, dvd even. To be exact it is 23.976. So use 72 or 71.928 for those.

I'm in the US. I thought all DVD's here are 720x480 30 FPS? I don't watch Blu-rays. It looks like YouTube is 24 FPS and 30 FPS, soon to support 48 FPS and 60 FPS. I think I'm just gonna run 100 Hz and call it a day. I don't really care that much about battery life as I'm plugged in most of the time, but when I need it I can go back to 60 Hz and lower brightness.

What am I like the only person in the world with the non-glossy screen? -__________- I'm over here sitting at 80Hz while everyone else is OH I GOT 100Hz..Anyone wanna trade?

Jerenny, but you still got way better brightness, no reflections. For dark games or movies, non-glossy is still better. And color gamut is a bit better on matte screens as far as I have seen when two laptops are standing side by side.

Actually, it looks like the glossy is slightly wider spectrum/more inside sRGB?

TLC1 glossy:

post-10698-1449499812374_thumb.jpg

TLB2 matte:

post-10698-14494998123381_thumb.jpg

post-10698-14494998123561_thumb.jpg

The only other apparent difference between the two is the stronger backlight on the matte which gives it higher brightness and contrast. The matte is probably just a less overclockable panel.

Interesting that the Y580 uses the same TLC1 glossy panel as the Y500 and early Y510p. Not overclockable ofc due to Optimus.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, it looks like the glossy is slightly wider spectrum/more inside sRGB?
Yes, that's because it's the same screen, but with a different (diffusing) filter for its final layer. Which, besides reducing glare, also filters the light from the lcd itself, reducing color space. The higher-powered backlight compensates the dimming effect (and contrast, because of the higher 'up'-values), but not spectrum; once a wavelength is lost, it's lost.

What am I like the only person in the world with the non-glossy screen?
You can turn it (back) into a glossy, or vice-versa. But the last option is tricky, unless you have vacuum cleaning tic (or own a cleanroom ...). More accurately, removing the AG filter is not really the same as an original glossy; the glossy has an outer layer too, but it is a clear one. So a matte-turned-glossy is more sensitive to damage than an original glossy.

That being said, this production series is extensive, 13 models in all. Most are simply from a later production run. But which is better for overclocking ... there's no sensible way to determine that, except for trying (and plotting experiences with production series). You can, however, choose based on the properties contrast, brightness and spectrum. The last one using noteboocheck reviews, for instance. Quite a list, isn't it; Acer, Asus, Clevo, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI and Sony ...

• Thumbs Up 1

I never would have thought that you could do this with the vanilla lcd.. even for desktop monitors you need to get special/specific monitors that are capable of being overclocked (some better suited than others).

Nonetheless, thx for the guide it is very helpful :nevreness:

So, the maximum I can go with my non-glossy matte screen is 83 Hz. At 84Hz, the screen goes dark and I have to put the computer into sleep and out or restart the system to get the monitor working again.

Edit: The screen is the "new" matte LP156WF1-TLB2. Can't go beyond 83Hz point on this one either.

So, the maximum I can go with my non-glossy matte screen is 83 Hz. At 84Hz, the screen goes dark and I have to put the computer into sleep and out or restart the system to get the monitor working again.

You should default back to 80Hz. I also thought I was stable at 83Hz, until one day when I started my computer back up, after the BIOS screen, my screen started doing all kinds of horrible flickering and flashing, luckily enough it booted into windows, but it was still going absolutely nuts throughout the entire process, and it stopped once I set it to 80.

• Thumbs Up 1

You should default back to 80Hz. I also thought I was stable at 83Hz, until one day when I started my computer back up, after the BIOS screen, my screen started doing all kinds of horrible flickering and flashing, luckily enough it booted into windows, but it was still going absolutely nuts throughout the entire process, and it stopped once I set it to 80.

Alright, thanks for the heads-up. I will default it to 80Hz instead.

My screen is stable at 120Hz on my Y400.

Wow that's pretty crazy. And this is with the stock 1366x768 screen? What is panel number?

It is actually possible to get 120 FPS in a lot of games with SLI at the lower resolution. Maybe I should find a 768p screen that can overclock to 120 Hz and install it on my Y500. :P

Wow that's pretty crazy. And this is with the stock 1366x768 screen? What is panel number?

It is actually possible to get 120 FPS in a lot of games with SLI at the lower resolution. Maybe I should find a 768p screen that can overclock to 120 Hz and install it on my Y500. :P

Where is the panel number? I tried 144Hz but my screen went black.

post-13175-14494998133229_thumb.png