Temperature of 780m in clevo SM series

mikemanpl

Dear Users,

I have bought a P170SM laptop with Nvidia GTX 780m GPU. I am quite conent with its performance, but I am quite disturbed by its temperatures. After a 3dmark11 test (with demos, basic default test) it shows that GPU reaches 92 degrees Celsius! I have not done any OC- it is as fresh as it can be.

On a previous ATI 7970 I was topping like 74 degrees.

Could you, good people with 780m onboard in SM revision of Clevo, do a 3dmark11 and post here top GPU temp you have reached? I want to see whether it is only mine that it is so hot, or everyone's.

It sounds like it is a used system? If so, clean the fan and heat sink fins. Repasting the GPU is a good idea. If that doesn't work you probably have a warped heat sink where it contacts the GPU die. In that case you need to sand it to get it flat. I did this for my 880M and got a 10c drop in temps.

My p177sm also goes up to 93°C. Which is weird because the seller repasted before shipping it.

I ordered some mx-4 and will try to see if it was from the pasting job, the warped sink sounds hard to fix...

It doesn't mean the seller did a good job.

The system I have bought was straight from the producer. Such high temps suprised me. I think that it is either really a warped heatsink or a matter of bracket not allowing heatsink to lie close enough a chip, but when I take the cooling off , you can see the place where the chip was. I have done repasting 3 times and it did not improve anything.

The system I have bought was straight from the producer. Such high temps suprised me. I think that it is either really a warped heatsink or a matter of bracket not allowing heatsink to lie close enough a chip, but when I take the cooling off , you can see the place where the chip was. I have done repasting 3 times and it did not improve anything.

Being able to see where the chip was just means there was enough paste applied. It does not mean there is good contact between the heat sink and die.

Heat sink paste is designed to fill microscopic spaces between the heat sink and GPU. It is not designed to fill large gaps between them. To give you a rough idea of the scale i am speaking of, a "large gap" would be the thickness of a human hair. Actually that would be a very large gap, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I couldn't get the heatsink out because one of the silver screws got worn into oblivion... And the seller I contacted said they are also looking for extra silver screws as they have a tendency to either break or wear very fast...

Seems a weird place to cut costs on a 1k plus laptop, let me have a titanium screws upgrade option :P

• 4 weeks later...

So, hi guys after a while. I have sent my kaptop to service and they replaced the GPU. I got it today and after a quick full test (with demos) in 3dmark11 it maxed out at 84 degrees. Maybe not the coolest of all, but at least acceptable. Will change the paste to gelid one more time and see what the results are.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
So, hi guys after a while. I have sent my kaptop to service and they replaced the GPU. I got it today and after a quick full test (with demos) in 3dmark11 it maxed out at 84 degrees. Maybe not the coolest of all, but at least acceptable. Will change the paste to gelid one more time and see what the results are.

Any update on this?

It sounds like it is a used system? If so, clean the fan and heat sink fins. Repasting the GPU is a good idea. If that doesn't work you probably have a warped heat sink where it contacts the GPU die. In that case you need to sand it to get it flat. I did this for my 880M and got a 10c drop in temps.

Do you sand the gpu die or the heatsink copper contact?