IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

allstone

Hi. I think some other app is holding to Ctrl+Shift+Q key comibination and IdeaFan cannot start because of it. Please check if any other running program has key bindings to this key combination please.

Hi! Thanks for your advice but we сant find what is binded on a Q button. Can you tell me where can i change the Q binding for IdeaFan to any other button or how to delete toggle function (i dont use it) it works n its on on MY laptop.

I tryed searching the .INI files but didn't find anythhing taht would look like a binding to Q button.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried ideafan ,it's cool app ,i also try physical methods ,removing plastic that cover fans both cpu and gpu,but removing dust filter was best for me ,i played assassin's creed black flag and i never reach 100 c like with dust filter and i got much stable performance than before...

I can confirm that this works for z410 (and most likely on z510 and z710). The only downside is you have to keep the s***ty lenovo power manager, which will destroy your batteries.

I hope this helps to make a better program:

During the most recent BIOS update I did, the fan RAN CONTINUOUSLY AT MAX SPEED. Can you take something from this?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I owner of Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 and my button of Thermal Managment (where i can use fan modes like dedusting or Efficient Thermal Dissipation) is broken hardwearly. I dont know how to call this menu. But u made a good job! I have some programming skills so can u tell me how you catch and call dedusting function?

allstone, would you by any chance know if there are any programs that conflict with ideafan? when i ran my laptop on safe mode it worked perfectly fine. thx :))

Hi SteelTempest. Could you explain how to reproduce it? You first run some program, then you double click the ideafan icon ? Or how its ran? Because if you are in some window, you cannot run IdeaFan w/o going out of that window (to desktop or explorer). Not sure how to reproduce it.

Hello there, allstone. I've been using your program for quite a time now and it works perfectly on windows 8.1. Recently, I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and when I try to run this program again I got an error window popping up after the program is launched. Could you make some changes to this program so that it may be compatible to Windows 10? I hope this is not too much of asking from you, but since I know nothing about programming this would be a great help for me since I'm using this program every time I'm using my laptop and it helps very much to control the temperature. I attached the error window below.

post-29923-14495000681369_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I found out that this program can activate dust remover in Lenovo B50-30.

I have a problem with this laptop :/

Originally Lenovo B50-30 (Celeron N2840) comes with passive cooling. No fan. No ventilation slots.

But I modified cooling system. Added heatpipe, additional radiator, made ventilation slots and added fan (there was a fan connector on mainboard)

Everything wolud be nice, but fan does not want to work as it should.

It starts only when i turn on laptop or when i run dust remover.

But it does not react on CPU temperature at all. SpeedFan does not work. TPFanControl does not work. I tried to change some values in Embedded Controller with RWEverything with no effect.

The only thing that works is that damn dust remover. Does anyone have idea how to fix this?

Hello! I found out that this program can activate dust remover in Lenovo B50-30.

I have a problem with this laptop :/

Originally Lenovo B50-30 (Celeron N2840) comes with passive cooling. No fan. No ventilation slots.

But I modified cooling system. Added heatpipe, additional radiator, made ventilation slots and added fan (there was a fan connector on mainboard)

Everything wolud be nice, but fan does not want to work as it should.

It starts only when i turn on laptop or when i run dust remover.

But it does not react on CPU temperature at all. SpeedFan does not work. TPFanControl does not work. I tried to change some values in Embedded Controller with RWEverything with no effect.

The only thing that works is that damn dust remover. Does anyone have idea how to fix this?

It is possible that there is no hardware to monitor the temperature, as it's passively cooled. Can you see which temps you're getting using any software?

Of course. All hardware monitors show temperatures.

teps.jpg

As you can see the temps are low. Generally this CPU isn't hot. But i run some benchmark programs and it was 65 C at max. Fan didn't move at all (i had keyboard taken off and looked on it)

lol mine idles at 43 C and hits ~80 during gameplay. I think yours is pretty cool enough to not bother with it =P

Anyway, there is no way to mess with the fan speeds, even in models with performance coolers. Thus, our need for IdeaFan, because it stupidly keeps the fan running silent and slow even though you're hitting 100 C (trust me)

Perhaps your model simply doesn't have the fan speed curve set in the firmware, so it never triggers, no matter how hot it gets, unless expressely told by the Lenovo Energy Manager to turn on.

If you're willing, I guess you can lower the default 90 C from IdeaFan to something you'd feel comfortable with, but remember you'll probably be annoyed by the constant turn on/off of the fan =)

Hello! I tried the IdeaFan also but not really fond of the pauses in between like some people have pointed out... I have one question about the heat though, I have been using my laptop for 2 years now and the first year I was gaming at pretty high temps without even caring( :( I know I know) like 95 cpu maximum and gpu was 87-95. Do you think I have shortened my laptops lifespan a lot with this? I really hope it could go for another 2 years at least!

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if you could cut the brown wire on a Y580 to get rid of the fan pausing when using this. my CPU maxes out at 87c and my GPU maxes out at 75c. These temps are after a repaste and with the GPU set at 1300mhz core, stock memory (since memory OC doesnt add much performance).

• 2 weeks later...
Hello there, allstone. I've been using your program for quite a time now and it works perfectly on windows 8.1. Recently, I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and when I try to run this program again I got an error window popping up after the program is launched. Could you make some changes to this program so that it may be compatible to Windows 10? I hope this is not too much of asking from you, but since I know nothing about programming this would be a great help for me since I'm using this program every time I'm using my laptop and it helps very much to control the temperature. I attached the error window below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15805[/ATTACH]

Yo. Same situation as you are in right now. I've found a temporary work around for this:

You might notice that even with this error message the program still actually runs without fail. However the error message would not go away. So what did I do? I basically use Virual Desktops feature implemented in Windows 10. You create another Desktop (google it up if you dont know how), Bring up the tasks with Windows Key + Tab => right click the error message => Move to => Desktop 2.

Bam! There you go. Now you're free to do what you like with the error message out of sight since it's now displayed on another desktop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yo. Same situation as you are in right now. I've found a temporary work around for this:

You might notice that even with this error message the program still actually runs without fail. However the error message would not go away. So what did I do? I basically use Virual Desktops feature implemented in Windows 10. You create another Desktop (google it up if you dont know how), Bring up the tasks with Windows Key + Tab => right click the error message => Move to => Desktop 2.

Bam! There you go. Now you're free to do what you like with the error message out of sight since it's now displayed on another desktop.

Epic, Thanks man!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the app. Btw, I can confirm that it works without any hiccups on Lenovo Y50-70 aside from the laptops mentioned in the OP. Now I can succesfully maintain all the overclocks while not being tied to the cooling pad :) 

1 hour ago, JayDieu said:

so essentially, when my gpu reaches its capped temperature, the fan cleaning speed will turn on to lower the temps?

The app doesn't work with GPU temps, it reads your CPU temp and when it reaches certain temperature it will trigger the dust cleaning function, thus lowering both CPU and GPU temps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 9:14 AM, csdavid16 said:

Thanks for the program.
How often can I use it? I mean running the fan at 100% and the frequent pauses will affect the lifespan won't it?

It might, but a new fan costs about $20, which is a lot less than a burned out CPU. Seems like a fair trade off to me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm intrigued as to what this "self-cleaning" function does.

Does it just ramp the fan to a speed that the fan normally doesn't reach even when the machine is thermal-throttling? Then shuts the fan off, then puts it back to that speed, and repeats?

I am a ThinkPad user, I can easily perform manual control of my fan using TPFC, and I'd like to try emulating this IdeaPad feature, but first I'd like to know what it actually does.

16 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

Does it just ramp the fan to a speed that the fan normally doesn't reach even when the machine is thermal-throttling? Then shuts the fan off, then puts it back to that speed, and repeats?

Yep. 9 seconds full blast, 1 second off, repeating. Fans don't spin at full speed otherwise.