IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

allstone

In this script it doesn't have such a function but I am pretty sure that it is not so hard to do.

Since there's no way to control fans, I doubt it's that easy. IdeaFan is a script which runs the Dust Removal function over and over again on a set interval.

AllStone,

This is AWESOME! Made a huge difference for my Y510p running 755m SLI's. The cadence timing however seems a bit off for mine. The pause, seems to randomly fluctuate from virtually nothing up to 2 seconds at times. Can you explain specifically what the following in the ini do?

timeoutBetween=0

timeDust=9197

sleepTime=2000

I'm not clear on the difference between the first and last variables. Please explain what they do, and how to optimize each of them. Thanks!

Ok, let me try. So the loop starts. Then it waits for timeoutBetween ms and starts the Dust function. It then waits for timeDust ms and stops the Dust function and restarts the loop. As far as I remember, latest version of IdeaFan has sleepTime completely disabled and is not using it.

And its not the "cadence timing" which is off really, but there is no way to know when to kick of the process, because we cannot read the EC and identify the current status of Dust function.

AllStone,

This is AWESOME! Made a huge difference for my Y510p running 755m SLI's. The cadence timing however seems a bit off for mine. The pause, seems to randomly fluctuate from virtually nothing up to 2 seconds at times. Can you explain specifically what the following in the ini do?

timeoutBetween=0

timeDust=9197

sleepTime=2000

I'm not clear on the difference between the first and last variables. Please explain what they do, and how to optimize each of them. Thanks!

...waits for timeoutBetween ms and starts the Dust function. It then waits for timeDust ms and stops the Dust function and restarts the loop.....

Make sense. So if I'm getting cycle gaps that are inconsistent (fluctuating from near zero to 2 seconds, randomly) who would you suggest I figure out the optimal settings for the variables? Also, do you still use your IdeaFan app yourself, or do something different now?

This really made a big difference for me, so thanks again for creating it!

I am still using the same app with no further modifications myself almost daily (when I play some intensive game like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 4). My S and D buttons on keyboard even began to loose black paint, and now I can see red glowing buttons :). My daily options, unchanged for a long time, are:

[Options]
Auto=1
maxT=90
timeoutBetween=0
timeDust=9197
sleepTime=2000

And yes, it is inconsistent and fluctuating at start.. but try leaving it running for 15 or 30 minutes. It tends to get better and somehow synchronizes better after some time. Maybe EC resets or something later on. I also play with sound from game which minimizes the sound from dust function inconsistency. It really makes difference for me. And I want CPU/GPU to be as COLD as possible. The colder the better - meaning I will own this laptop longer without needing to fix something in it.

We, the community, really need to stick together against big corporations who cannot even make some software for EC controlling (ekhem, Lenovo ) or who disables overclocking (ekhem, Nvidia)..

Make sense. So if I'm getting cycle gaps that are inconsistent (fluctuating from near zero to 2 seconds, randomly) who would you suggest I figure out the optimal settings for the variables? Also, do you still use your IdeaFan app yourself, or do something different now?

This really made a big difference for me, so thanks again for creating it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello!

Can You pls advise how I can fix this problem for my Lenovo Y510 P. Windows 8.

Looks like Your program is only one solution to cool down my laptop.

Thanks in advance.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12844[/ATTACH]

Allstone, hello!

Your app is very good and helpfull. I have Y510p with Dual 750m and it runs perfectly.

The thing is my friend owns anothe Y510P but with dual 755m and he cant run your app. When he starts it he get an error like on a pic in quote.

and HWmonitor doesnt start automaticly.

Tryed launching on a friends laptop with Administrartor rigths and installed .NET v4.5, Latest DirectX, and Complete Visual C++ packs.

But still cant get it running.

On my laptop i get menu on you app

- start

- stop

- Degree input

- auto

- startup

- exit

on Friends laptop manu look like;

- Suspend hotkey

- pause script

- exit

Tried new donwload of an app tried coping my APP Completely to his laptom - doestn work.

Coul you plese help me?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I owner of Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 and my button of Thermal Managment (where i can use fan modes like dedusting or Efficient Thermal Dissipation) is broken hardwearly. I dont know how to call this menu. But u made a good job! I have some programming skills so can u tell me how you catch and call dedusting function?

Hi Allstone :) I believe that I've found a bug in IdeaFan. I used to use IdeaFan with no problems but suddenly, whenever I open it and I click to a window (ie. Chrome, Games) it minimizes it and reopens the tab repeatedly. The only way to undo this problem is to restart my computer. Please help me, I would want to use this program again but it's really annoying, thx :)

And here are possible improvement requests for the fututre:

1. Make fans start hitting the 9s/0.5-1s cadence right off the bat. Need to make sure that the last time fans are stopped, its within 0.5-1s gap when they are stopped. This is due to the EC somehow remembering where it left off the last time and resuming from there. If you stopped it in the middle of a spin cycle, the next time you run it the fans will be inconsistent inside the first minute before finding their rhythm again. The length of the gap is also determined by last your stopping point. I've gotten it anywhere from basically none (fans spin down and spin up immediately) up to 1s, but it never goes above that. Edit: tested to stop at 0.5-1s gap, but that seems to have no effect on the initial position. Also tried variable timeouts - seems for EC its no different, with variable its unpredictable, constant value may be required afterall. For now its seems the only way to start off the bat for sure is to know internals of EC - or at least get a fan RPM sensor readings which we do not have.

2. When OHW 0.6 is not started, IdeaFan throws errors (need to check for them), only at COLD first start. See http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7358-ideafan-y510p-6.html#post102492 (should be fixed in 1.5)

Thanks dude this is what I seek for from the beginning..after flashing svl7's custom bios mod temps goes crazy because of OC..But isn't there a way to make it continuously work without cycles which makes temps slowly got higher but after 30 minutes of 3dmark14 firestrike graphical test 2 with normal settings in loop my max gpu temps gpu1:84C and gpu2:86C pretty awesome than without ideafan script..

My oc values:

Gpu 1+ 2 oc =1218mhz

Mem=5800mhz and +0.37.5mV

and thanks again

allstone - I love you bro. Ideafan is rly amazing tweak for high like toaster temps :3 Is there possibility that there will be some way to make constant for example 90% fan usage ??

Thanks, MACKGEVER, I use it daily too :) now Im playing Planetside 2 and it really helps. Sadly, I do not think it is possible with current non-hacked EC firmware to control % of the fan. Not sure if anyone invested some time to hack it. Maybe its just not worth the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello!

Can You pls advise how I can fix this problem for my Lenovo Y510 P. Windows 8.

Looks like Your program is only one solution to cool down my laptop.

Thanks in advance.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12844[/ATTACH]

Hm, some of your programs are already using Ctrl+Shift+Q combination. Not sure which one, but maybe ideafan just cannot bind this. Not sure if anyone would benefit of introducing hotkey setting in INI file ?

- - - Updated - - -

Great program . Simple and effective . But I still wanted to fine-tune the cooling system in my Y510P . What thermal paste do you recommend?

Any would do. The problem with this laptop that pasting job is done very poorly, and any good repasting job with almost any paste would help you on critical temps. Then again, Arctic Silver 5 or if you have some more money GC Gelid Extreme would shave several more C.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice! Helps for me! But I don't recommend using OpenHardwareMonitor. I use 8gadget. I picked the CPU Monitor and the GPU Monitor in it. As for using Y410P laptop with Nvidia Geforce GT 755M. It's best for me to lower the game's resolution. That makes it windowed. So I could see the temprature of the GPU which changes every second. I can also see the usage of the CPU's every core usage. Very useful. So you don't need to open a window (OpenHardwareMonitor) to check the temperature.

So, I think you should change OpenHardwareMonitor to 8gadget. Because 8gadget also has many useful gadgets, like Network Monitor and others.

Thanks anyway!

May be a good suggestion to use 8gadget, but OpenHardwareMonitor provides interface to get the temperatures from the program into IdeaFan, not sure if 8gadget has got such interface..

- - - Updated - - -

Hi thanks for the program, i set 85 degrees how max temp and this app basically run everytime when i play :)

Is it a problem? can i damage my fan??

thanks

Same here during intensive gameplays, almost everyday.. Running for almost a year, fan still holds. If it can hold at least 1 year I think thats good, but should hold even more.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it safe? I mean constant speeding up and down?

Well, fan always change speed, depending on what you do. Sometimes, it changes speeds at 1-2 setting interval is temperature is going around that and CPU spiking. And I am running it for almost a year, fan still holds. Not sure if its safe, just sharing my situation :)

- - - Updated - - -

In this script it doesn't have such a function but I am pretty sure that it is not so hard to do.

Actually, speed itself cannot be controlled. Either dust function is enabled or not. Speed is internally controlled by EC firmware, which nobody has hacked and nobody in this forum knows how to modify unfortunately.

- - - Updated - - -

Allstone, hello!

Your app is very good and helpfull. I have Y510p with Dual 750m and it runs perfectly.

The thing is my friend owns anothe Y510P but with dual 755m and he cant run your app. When he starts it he get an error like on a pic in quote.

and HWmonitor doesnt start automaticly.

Tryed launching on a friends laptop with Administrartor rigths and installed .NET v4.5, Latest DirectX, and Complete Visual C++ packs.

But still cant get it running.

On my laptop i get menu on you app

- start

- stop

- Degree input

- auto

- startup

- exit

on Friends laptop manu look like;

- Suspend hotkey

- pause script

- exit

Tried new donwload of an app tried coping my APP Completely to his laptom - doestn work.

Coul you plese help me?

Hi. I think some other app is holding to Ctrl+Shift+Q key comibination and IdeaFan cannot start because of it. Please check if any other running program has key bindings to this key combination please.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! I owner of Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 and my button of Thermal Managment (where i can use fan modes like dedusting or Efficient Thermal Dissipation) is broken hardwearly. I dont know how to call this menu. But u made a good job! I have some programming skills so can u tell me how you catch and call dedusting function?

Hm. You would need some hacking skills to hack through all the layers. If I remember correctly, it goes something like this: 64bit lenovo energy app, 32bit lenovo energy management dll, 64bit or 32bit windows driver dll, 64bit windows kernel functions. So you need to hack through all the layers to finally turn up and find that function. Well, in short, there is no such 1 program to do this. I think I used 2 or 3, at least 2 debuggers for 32 and for 64 version, and at least one other for windows kernel debugging.

found another one with the 4 pin but this is for the xbox 360.

Customised Speed Xbox 360 Slim FAN MOD Accelerator Controller | eBay

maybe we can contact the creator to make a fan mod specifically for our laptops y410p/ y510p series.

he has 100% positive reviews from ps4, ps3 and xbox users.

this is the sellers profile.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/usr/circuit5urgeon?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

its very easy to use just like an additional wire, no need to solder or cut anything.

what do you guys think?

but i think the xbox 360 fan mod will work for us because same connector, he just changed the PWM signal.

This is pretty awesome. With this tool my 660m gets maximum 68 degrees hot and my CPU 70 degrees celcius, under FULL load!

And you all must now that my 3630QM runs at 3,2GHz with throttlestop, on all cores and my 660m on 1200MHz (core) and 2800MHz on memory...

No throttling on my Y580, just full clocks and nice temperatures :D

Thank you for this!

Edit: you should change the title of this thread. because it really seems like IdeaFan is working for every multimedia-lenovo-notebook :adoration: so happy about this, ty again

2. Edit: @allstone Maybe this could help you for more improvements in future :)http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3849-y580-fan-control-2.html#post87843

Works fine on Y580. Thanks a lot.

I do not think it works with EVERY model, but as the model lists grows bigger, the better for the community, for all of us. For example I do not think it will work with Y50 or Y70 (anyone tried yet?).

I have updated the title that Y580 works. Unfortunetely, I cannot update the thread title as seen in forums lists, only inside title. Not sure how to ask admin @admin, @administrator) to update the title or make thread sticky ant not confuse people that it this tread is only for y510p.

- - - Updated - - -

This is pretty awesome. With this tool my 660m gets maximum 68 degrees hot and my CPU 70 degrees celcius, under FULL load!

And you all must now that my 3630QM runs at 3,2GHz with throttlestop, on all cores and my 660m on 1200MHz (core) and 2800MHz on memory...

No throttling on my Y580, just full clocks and nice temperatures :D

Oh, nice, thats Sandy Bridge architecture for you instead of Haswell. To be honest, recently I have got upgraded Haswell based Dekstop processor instead of Sandy Bridge. And sadly, it has the same problems as laptop does - throttling all over the place. Hrrr, intel failed big :(

Thank you for this!

You are welcome, happy using. For now, do not think anybody's fan died because of this. But please, if anyone encounters fan replacement, please tell, it would help others to decide whether they want to use IdeaFan or not.

Edit: you should change the title of this thread. because it really seems like IdeaFan is working for every multimedia-lenovo-notebook :adoration: so happy about this, ty again

Tried to refer to admin, hopefully it will catch attention and someone will be able to help changing it.

2. Edit: @allstone Maybe this could help you for more improvements in future :)http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3849-y580-fan-control-2.html#post87843

Unfortunately, a lot of people tried meddling with this EC part but it seems it is locked. As so, cannot be used. Maybe if I had Y580 and EC is unlocked I would try something out. Or if its really unlocked, maybe it could be READ from Y580 eeprom to bin file and restored (WRITE) on y510p eeprom and we would be able to control it. If someone has PirateBus and has invested in Arduino parts and can read the microscheme to restore it if something bad happens, please try something out :) I am sure there is a simple solution to a problem, but how to get to it without investing too much time.. not sure yet.

Hello there @allstone, I have been using your program exclusively to help dissipate heat while gaming with the y510p i7 SLI variant, and it has worked well to avoid throttling on my hardware. (Even shared it in a y510p troubleshooting thread over on another forum to help spread the word, here's a link if you all are interested: Lenovo y510p Troubleshooting thread - Troubleshooting - Linus Tech Tips)

Additionally, while perusing the forums I spotted this bios hack via @sv17 (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html), and I was wondering if there were perhaps any implications from this to help with the bios hack necessary for fan control.

Thanks again!

allstone, please fix the bug where when i open ideafan, it minimizes and reopens the window im in. this program used to work perfectly fine until recently ://

allstone, would you by any chance know if there are any programs that conflict with ideafan? when i ran my laptop on safe mode it worked perfectly fine. thx :))

• 2 weeks later...