IdeaFan for y510p y500 G500 Y580 y410p

allstone

Hi!

This program was working nicely until it just stopped working. I just reinstalled it and even if I right click the icon and press start nothing happens, also same with CTRL+SHIFT+Q.

I have Y510p.

Thanks!

Have you, by any change, upgrade Lenovo energy management software? Does usual Dust Cleaning function work from Lenovo energy management software window ?

Have you, by any change, upgrade Lenovo energy management software? Does usual Dust Cleaning function work from Lenovo energy management software window ?

It's funny that I didn't even have energy management software installed and ideafan still worked. But I just installed energy management and everything is working again :)

Update:

Voided my warranty.

Reapplied the pasta.

Seems to have worked for a day by bringing my temps to a max of 68C as opposed to the former 100C before shutdown.

New discovery - the fan seems to be working randomly.

Sometimes it runs as it should and I can stay at max 68C without issue for hours+.

However, at the same timetable it seems to, even at full CPU burn through, the temps seem to reach 99C and the fan works for 1 second every 2-3 seconds.

I'm at a loss for words.

I even cleaned up the fan from the inside out while the laptop was dismembered.

In addition, I removed the dust protectors at the bottom, and cut out the plastic that was blocking the fans a bit.

And I have a cooling pad underneath the bloody thing.

:/

Update:

However, at the same timetable it seems to, even at full CPU burn through, the temps seem to reach 99C and the fan works for 1 second every 2-3 seconds.

:/

The exact same thing happened on my Dell laptop. Replaced the fan and now it works correctly.

So I tried this to my Lenovo G500 which has the same default software of dust cleaning and well what do you know, it works too!

I just could not stand the noise, it distracts me during my gaming sessions

Thanks and very nice software mr OP!

I will try to test the temps soon as I find time!

The exact same thing happened on my Dell laptop. Replaced the fan and now it works correctly.

But I can't understand why it would be so random.

Today alone I spent some 15-16 hours playing DOTA 2 at stable FPS of 50-60 running my CPU at no more than 89C.

Granted, normally I had a const FPS of 60, prior to when this this started.

So if it's fan issue rather than a controller on the MOBO or sensor corrosion or whats to those effects, than why would it behave so efficiently sometimes and so deficiently at other times?

I'm no electrical engineer, so forgive me for my ignorance. Just trying to understand what little I can, given my limited knowledge as a lazy power user and the laziest former programmer of them all.

Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for this since the 1st time i use y510p, thanks a lot!!

is it possible to make dust removal run on temperature lower than 80?

yes, just see to the icon near the clock, right click it and you can find temperature setting there - click on temperature and change it if you want.

@allstone

Is there a version of this where the fans will turn on in a constant full speed without slowing down? Thanks for such a program!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately not chap, credit to the OP for creating this app though.

- - - Updated - - -

@allstone

Is there a version of this where the fans will turn on in a constant full speed without slowing down? Thanks for such a program!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

- - - Updated - - -

Whoah alrighty then must buy those cheap laptop coolers to aid in thermal control

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! Helps for me! But I don't recommend using OpenHardwareMonitor. I use 8gadget. I picked the CPU Monitor and the GPU Monitor in it. As for using Y410P laptop with Nvidia Geforce GT 755M. It's best for me to lower the game's resolution. That makes it windowed. So I could see the temprature of the GPU which changes every second. I can also see the usage of the CPU's every core usage. Very useful. So you don't need to open a window (OpenHardwareMonitor) to check the temperature.

So, I think you should change OpenHardwareMonitor to 8gadget. Because 8gadget also has many useful gadgets, like Network Monitor and others.

Thanks anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.. i literally registered just to tell you this because i just downloaded this for my stupid restricted lenovo.. i'm trying to undervolt with INtel XTU and etc.. but still temps are too high.. could be my thermal pasting.. maybe its crap.. i didn't repaste it yet.. and i really don't feel like it..

but anyway the point of this post is that you can have the fan run 24-7.. its the most annoying hack in the world to do.. but it works.. i've already done it.. but it was quite a pain to put back to normal..

thanks for the guy who made this ideafan.. and you got close.. real close.. sometimes it restarts my fans real quick.. but i seem to still get about 1 second in between sometimes.. so its not a good solution for me.. for others maybe. but not me so far..

now ON to the point of this posting..

maybe you've already heard of this but if not.. here goes..

I can take pictures if you really need them but you shoudn't as long as your not color blind!

********DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TONS OF PATIENCE BECAUSE ONCE YOU DO IT, IT'S EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO GO BACK TO YOUR FAN BEING NORMAL.. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE.. I'VE DONE IT..

open your stupid restricted laptop.. find your Fan that is connected to the motherboard.. you will see a very small color-coded set of wires.. coming out of your FAN...

follow that and unplug the part that has the white plastic end that you can plug in and out.. I think it's on your motherboard (i'm writing this just trying to remember the time i did it..)

**you actually might not have to unplug the cable at all.. but it might make it easier..

ok FIND THE BROWN COLORED WIRE..

you will slightly try to pull out the brown colored wire from the set of wires.. DO NOT BREAK IT.. DO NOT FORCE PULL IT..

you may have to get tweesers or something to help you pull out the brown wire..

***IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND OR FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE STOP.. AND ASK QUESTIONS HERE AGAIN..

after you successfully slightly pull out the brown wire from the white plasic cap, (its extremely tiny) your fan should run at constant speed 24-7 when you turn on your laptop..

(performed on a lenovo y410p)

some of you may have seen this posted on the internet awhile ago.. i'm not sure if it's still there..

Until IDeaFan can keep the fan moving 24-7 on users control... pull out the brown wire carefully and to put your fans back to normal you have to (extremely difficult) put the brown wire back in the tiny tiny white plastic cap..

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

This is actually...pretty awesome! Yet it seems to always do fine for me when it's getting a bit warm, most of the time around 85C. However on Furmark I have the same exact problem. One of the biggest issues I was having is keeping my laptop lid closed, which at the time I never noticed made the laptop STUPIDLY warm when gaming (doh!) and with the purchase of a rather large cooling fan I feel confident that anything but Furmark won't have it peak that 97C mark.

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanna say thanks for the creator.. really helped me.. :)

and just wanna ask u guys if u had any problem since running the dust removal more often? will it break the fan? sorry still noob.. hehe

really appreciate ur answer..

First of all, I wanna say thanks for this code creator and to you who made this thread. This script reduced my temps about 5 degrees(yes I am happy about it):48_002: And to you "WASKITOPUTRO" I think it may reduce fan lifetime but I think better broke fan unless motherboard.

• Thumbs Up 1