y510p 4700mq CPU microcode update

allstone

I have seen that 4700mq has microcode update 0x16 as opposed to our original 0x12.

See XTU Hardware here Woomack`s XTU score: 818 marks with a Core i7 4700MQ or here rho `s XTU score: 860 marks with a Core i7 4700MQ

Here is even 0x17 http://hwbot.org/submission/2542205_carbide_xtu_core_i7_4700mq_848_marks/

A lot on the TOP10 are with either 0x17 or older 0x8/0x9 microcode updates. They supposedly changes C0 states, power management, etc.

Questions are:

1. Is microcode in BIOS or in CPU Firmware ?

2. How can we upgrade it?

AFAIK, microcode can be downloaded from intel website in tar.gz format. And somehow could be used in linux. Thats the only info I have.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not an expert but its more likely that microcode update is probably inside bios. At least it used to be in some older computers/bioses. But I dont know about UEFI. I have read that microcode updates are also loadable/updatable via OS for example Microsoft pushes sometimes an update with newer microcodes. There have been some topics on other forums that best way is to buy brand new recently manufactured CPU that most likely have updated microcodes but it dont actually have to be like that with every CPU. Intel/AMD dont publish documentation about microcodes at all. There is some documentation around internet how to apply microcode update in Ubuntu but what it does I dont know. I havent tried it. I will try when I have some time and I will test it if it applies microcode permanently in Ubuntu as Windows is reporting that newer microcode is available but I havent found any way to do it in windows. I found some tutorials how to apply microcode via BIOS modification method but it worked only on legacy BIOSes.

Now I have found out that it is probably inside bios and only lenovo can update it but some people mentioned that It might be able to load it from bios since latest microcodes are not small anymore but again it is probably done by microsoft when it decides that it needs to be updated. CPU Microcode? - Page 2

Hi, if i wanna upgrade my Y400 CPU, from i7 3630qm to 4700mq.. Does Y400 support 4700mq?

According to this Maintenance manual it supports only following CPUs

8 Processor, Ivy bridge core Quad-Core 45W Intel

I7-3720QM 2.6G E1 6M 4cPGA processor

102500304 N

I7-3820QM 2.7G E1 6M 4cPGA processor

102500306 N

I7-3630QM 2.4G E1 6M 4cPGA CPU

102500436 N

8 Processor, Ivy bridge core Quad-Core 35W Intel

I7-3612QM 2.1G E1 6M 4cPGA processor

102500290 N

8 Processor, Ivy bridge core Quad-Core 35W Intel

I7-3632QM 2.2G E1 6M 4cPGA CPU

102500437 N

8 Processor, Ivy bridge core Dual Core 35W Intel

I7-3520M 2.9G L1 4M 2cPGA processor

102500295 N

I5-3360M 2.8G L1 3M 2cPGA processor

102500297 N

I5-3320M 2.6G L1 3M 2cPGA processor

102500299 N

I5-3210M 2.5G L1 3M 2cPGA processor

102500301 N

I5-3230M 2.6G 3M 2cPGA processor

102500484 N

I3-3130M 2.6G 3M 2cPGA processor

102500485 N

I3-3110M 2.3G L1 3M 2cPGA processor

102500303 N

I3-3120M 2.5G L1 3M 2cPGA CPU

102500435 N

Hi allstone . I have done a little research and it seems like microcode is stored in bios for sure.

Take a look at those picture. Comparing header of microcode for our CPU with Bios.

CPUID of our CPU is of revision 000306C3h and that match with the header of updated microcode. Note that 1C is revision number of latest microcode.

Also see that revision number in original Bios is different so we see that downloaded microcode is newer from ours.

I used microdecode.exe to decompress all microcodes for all different types of CPUs, as we only need one particular microcode for our CPU.

microdecode.zip

Just drag and drop downloaded file with microcode from Intel and it will give you loads of file but we only need one so if you search for file with CPUID of our CPU and that is 000306C3 you will find that file. In latest Microcode update there is only one for our CPU in latest update. If you take that file to Hex Editor you can find the CPUID in the header of microcode,its in little endian so you have to convert it to big endian as shown in pictures. It also states the date but its not important for us, just a note so you know what first line is all about.

Then I used search function to find where microcode in our original bios is, so I searched for our CPUID with little endian C3 06 03 00. As you can see now where our microcode in bios rom file is hidden now there is only one step to do and it is to replace current microcode with new one. I copied whole microcode that we decompressed and I Paste Write the whole code in the line of our bios where previous microcode begins, as you can see it in the pictures.

Microcode for our CPU is only 4Kb.

Saved the file but I havent flashed it yet as I dont know if its going to work, at the moment I dont want to brick mobo as I need it for work.

Okay so I updated microcode to bios file and also set CPU_Microcode to 1 in platform.ini. Nothing is modified except microcode updated to newest version. Here comes the scariest thing.

I have done some little research how to recover semi-bricked y510p so I tried different names. I unpacked bios file from official bios flasher from lenovo website and put it on USB formated to FAT32 and renamed it to Yx01.bin, as Andys tool reported that recovery file should be Yx01.bi? but ''?'' is not permited to i changed extention to bin, as .fd, .rom didnt seemed to do anythink. So I took battery out removed AC adapter and pretty much everythink connected to computer, inserted USB and Hold Fn+R then plugged in AC and after that quickly Power button and it seemed like its doing something but computer shut down immediatelly so I dont know if it did anythink at all. Maybe it ignored it as version in my bios is same as bios file is and its not modified bios.

Can someone confirm that this method of recovery works? Just in case I fail with flashing or anything goes wrong.

Edit. I also noticed that when I updated microcode first when i checked bios file with intelmicrocodelist.exe to see what cpu ids are in the bios it gave me 2 results:

CPUID=306C3 Rev 12 2013/07/02 CRC=D141251C Off=4C9330 Size=4C00 Plat=1, 4, 5
CPUID=306C2 Rev FFFF0006 2012/10/17 CRC=30531EB4 Off=4CDF30 Size=5800 Plat=1, 4, 5

after modification second line dissapeared, I havent found anything with that cpuid on internet at all so I dont know what that ID really is.

Dont flash file in attachment its for research purpose only!!!

Y510P v3.05 Updated microcode.zip