UNOFFICIAL y5/410p cooling thread! As well as MX-4 / NotePal X3 testing!

Jerenny

Hey guys, so I've done some tips I've found for y510p as far as cooling goes to help try to cool the hellraising UltraBay GPU temps. I have the i5-4200M/750M SLI model and I made a little album describing in detail how the experience was. I hope it will answer some questions as far as how helpful repasting the Ultrabay GPU goes, as well as how much a laptop cooler(In this particular case, the Cooler Master NotePal X3) can help.

I used Heaven Benchmark 4.0 at Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation, and 8x MSAA @ 1920x1080 to stress the GPUs.

It can be found here: y510p cooling - Imgur

Normal settings for my laptop consist of both 750Ms running stable at:

1228MHz/2700MHz

97*C Prioritized temperature

1.150V(I honestly don't know what voltage does so I don't bother with it too much)

As well as Throttlestop 7.00b2 to keep my i5-4200M at 3.0-3.1GHz no matter what to get rid of Lenovo's stupid 2.45GHz throttle when GPU0 hits 65*C.

Some benchmarks with my setup:

3DMark Sky Diver - http://www.3dmark.com/sd/2375855

3DMark Fire Strike - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2644478

Catzilla 720p - http://puu.sh/ayhGA/20c78c0826.png

I'm naming this the unofficial cooling thread in hopes that other users can maybe post some tips or tricks they've done with their y510p/y410p to get even better or similar temperatures when gaming.

I'm willing to take any and all benchmark requests, and some cooling tips..as long as it isn't too crazy, I'm a 19 year old soon to be college student with no job, I can't afford a new laptop. xP

Great but for ultrabay gpu , I think you use too much paste and you also over clock your gpu and raise the voltage so it will easily overheat. My y510p ultrabay GPU(Gt750m) repasted with mx-4 and run at stock clock speed&voltage(around 1.056V) still overheat but temp max at 95-96°C after 35-40 minutes heaven benchmark. So now I flash modded bios/vbios and undervolt it and run stable at around 0.962V at stock clock speed now my ultrabay GPU max at just 80°C when playing BF3 at high with vsync off for hours.

(I haven't done any other mod on my Y510p. I only repasted ultrabay gpu and undervolted and also no cooling pad just use foam from notebook package to raised laptop up from flat surface.)

Great but for ultrabay gpu , I think you use too much paste and you also over clock your gpu and raise the voltage so it will easily overheat. My y510p ultrabay GPU(Gt750m) repasted with mx-4 and run at stock clock speed&voltage(around 1.056V) still overheat but temp max at 95-96°C after 35-40 minutes heaven benchmark. So now I flash modded bios/vbios and undervolt it and run stable at around 0.962V at stock clock speed now my ultrabay GPU max at just 80°C when playing BF3 at high with vsync off for hours.

(I haven't done any other mod on my Y510p. I only repasted ultrabay gpu and undervolted and also no cooling pad just use foam from notebook package to raised laptop up from flat surface.)

Wow, this was actually pretty helpful. Standing still right after you press DEPLOY in the Battlefield 4 firing range puts more stress on the GPUs than I thought they would. Playing on settings I know I'd never try playing on in an actual game(Ultra w/ 4xMSAA, 90 FOV, Weapon DOF, and 130% Resolution scale, 30FPS) at 1920x1080, puts both GPUs at 97-99% usage. Undervolting at stock clocks by 112.5mV to make it .987 V and sitting there while I fell asleep. I woke up 2 hours later and GPU 1 never got past 64*C and GPU 2 never got past 72*C. This was of course sitting on top of my NotePal X3. Thanks for the tip!

I would absolutely love to get those temps, is there any way you could advise on how to flash the modded bios and then what exactly you did to undervolt the gpu? As i have not had any experience with undervolting! And i know by default you cannot undervolt anything on the y510p, all my temps are fine im just trying to resolve my ultrabay temps which are driving me crazy!

Fantastic that it worked for you! Was it easy to do? Just read through your link to your album - very interesting reading! Sounds like all those problems were resolved after you undervolted?

Well the problems I was getting was because I was overvolted and overclocked. The point of me trying to get the ultrabay cooler was so it can remain cooler at those overclocks I was doing. But still, undervolting is a really great way to maintain cool temperatures. After playing Battlefield 4 on ultra for an hour and a half, I got a GPU 0 max temp of 64, and a GPU 1 max temp of 70, undervolted.

I hope it will answer some questions as far as how helpful repasting the Ultrabay GPU goes

Inspired by you, I have taken out my ultrabay GPU card and repasted it. From the pictures, it seems ultrabay on 1 of VRAM does not have thermal pad. I see 650m has only thermal pads on one side of vrams (well, it also runs on lower clocks). As I have no thermal pads of my own yet, what I have done is trimmed all the pads and used whats left on the vram which did not have the pad. Also I have used Arctic Silver 5 on GPU and between all the pads a bit just to make sure they stick good.

I can conclude that ultrabay GPU temperature dropped from 3 to 6-7C (and dropping speed is faster when its hot when running IdeaFan). Not sure on exact number, but it dropped. Also (!) the top part of the laptop (right of the keyboard) now runs cool even when GPU is on ~80C. Before, top was @42C, now it runs at 35-36C (I have infrared thermometer to measure). Not sure how that had any effect, but AS5 paste is not even cured yet (should wait for a week or two for that). So repasting at least ultrabay GPU is a MUST, because original pasting job was TERRIBLE.. I mean so BAD as its the worst I have ever seen on any laptop so far..

Also I might say that when I OC memory now, it runs more stable, at least Crysis is not crashing. Not sure if the left over VRAM pad did the job or its just too soon yet to say for sure.

Inspired by you, I have taken out my ultrabay GPU card and repasted it. From the pictures, it seems ultrabay on 1 of VRAM does not have thermal pad. I see 650m has only thermal pads on one side of vrams (well, it also runs on lower clocks). As I have no thermal pads of my own yet, what I have done is trimmed all the pads and used whats left on the vram which did not have the pad. Also I have used Arctic Silver 5 on GPU and between all the pads a bit just to make sure they stick good.

I can conclude that ultrabay GPU temperature dropped from 3 to 6-7C (and dropping speed is faster when its hot when running IdeaFan). Not sure on exact number, but it dropped. Also (!) the top part of the laptop (right of the keyboard) now runs cool even when GPU is on ~80C. Before, top was @42C, now it runs at 35-36C (I have infrared thermometer to measure). Not sure how that had any effect, but AS5 paste is not even cured yet (should wait for a week or two for that). So repasting at least ultrabay GPU is a MUST, because original pasting job was TERRIBLE.. I mean so BAD as its the worst I have ever seen on any laptop so far..

Also I might say that when I OC memory now, it runs more stable, at least Crysis is not crashing. Not sure if the left over VRAM pad did the job or its just too soon yet to say for sure.

The VRAM chips on both sides are covered by thermal pads except for the one on the top side next to the screw hole. Would a thermal pad on it even help seeing as it's not gonna touch any part of the heatsink or casing? I'm thinking a small copper RAM sink on it would be better, although it might be hard to find one of such low profile. I wonder if it'll allow me to OC my memory higher than the pitiful 1125 MHz that I can currently muster without causing scores to drop.

The VRAM chips on both sides are covered by thermal pads except for the one on the top side next to the screw hole. Would a thermal pad on it even help seeing as it's not gonna touch any part of the heatsink or casing? I'm thinking a small copper RAM sink on it would be better, although it might be hard to find one of such low profile. I wonder if it'll allow me to OC my memory higher than the pitiful 1125 MHz that I can currently muster without causing scores to drop.

Well, on 755m heatsink is over all the memory chips on one side (where gpu is), on the other side thermo pads makes vram connect to the metal case of the ultrabay itself, which help dissipate the heat over the body of ultrabay. Is 650m different?

Well, on 755m heatsink is over all the memory chips on one side (where gpu is), on the other side thermo pads makes vram connect to the metal case of the ultrabay itself, which help dissipate the heat over the body of ultrabay. Is 650m different?

No they are the same. Excuse my earlier brain fart. :o

So this is the one you put a thermal pad over?

hmborfD.jpg?1

I guess I'll do the same. Might as well since I've already got some spare 0.5 mm and 1 mm Fujipoly 11 W/mK pads. I assume the 0.5 mm ones should do the trick. They're stiff pads, unlike the ones already on there, so I don't want to create too much clearance between heatsink and GPU die.

I'm due for a repaste anyway; it's been over a year. Gonna stick with my old trusted standby of OCZ Freeze. I'll let y'all know if it drops my Ultrabay temps at all and if the thermal pad lets me OC my VRAM any further. :D

hmborfD.jpg?1

I guess I'll do the same. Might as well since I've already got some spare 0.5 mm and 1 mm Fujipoly 11 W/mK pads. I assume the 0.5 mm ones should do the trick. They're stiff pads, unlike the ones already on there, so I don't want to create too much clearance between heatsink and GPU die.

I'm due for a repaste anyway; it's been over a year. Gonna stick with my old trusted standby of OCZ Freeze. I'll let y'all know if it drops my Ultrabay temps at all and if the thermal pad lets me OC my VRAM any further. :D

Yes, its the one. Just see theres less space, might as well use thinner 0.5mm ones instead of 1mm? Please tell how it all went. If you will not notice any new OC possibilities, at least it will not be prone to overheating/causing artifacts I guess, so might not hurt. Btw, I have removed the plastic from GPU, cleanup up it propertly, then put the plastic back, then applied the paste in a proper way, not in a chinese way :)

Yes, its the one. Just see theres less space, might as well use thinner 0.5mm ones instead of 1mm? Please tell how it all went. If you will not notice any new OC possibilities, at least it will not be prone to overheating/causing artifacts I guess, so might not hurt. Btw, I have removed the plastic from GPU, cleanup up it propertly, then put the plastic back, then applied the paste in a proper way, not in a chinese way :)

You removed the plastic and then put it back? How? Did you notice any differences?

You removed the plastic and then put it back? How? Did you notice any differences?

I just wanted gpu contacts to be clean, and wanted those contacts not to get the high temperature from GPU itself (since paste was all over the place, as gpu produced heat it brought it to the contacts, which, as you may know, in a long term is not prone to high temperatures and gets bad after some time. Also I put it back in order to cover them from possible electric build up.. well, just put it back because I had no new one. But I do not think it makes a noticable difference for temperatures if you are asking it.

When I repasted mine I added a thermal pad to that spot PLUS I added washers to all my screws to allow for more pressure on the heatpipes. I got somewhere from 5 - 10c drop in temps on mine.

hmborfD.jpg?1

When I repasted mine I added a thermal pad to that spot PLUS I added washers to all my screws to allow for more pressure on the heatpipes. I got somewhere from 5 - 10c drop in temps on mine.

How thick were your spacers? Is there danger of cracking GPU die or warping board? Any pictures of mod?

I got 3-6C temperatures drop. So your spacers must have caused 2-4C drop more I guess. Would be interesting to see those spacers (ebay link or something).

I got 3-6C temperatures drop. So your spacers must have caused 2-4C drop more I guess. Would be interesting to see those spacers (ebay link or something).

Nothing special about the spacers. There are just small washers. I got the idea from the Notebookreview forums post about repasting the Y500. Take a look at that thread and you will get the idea.

Not only did I see a huge drop in temps but my ultrabay card did not immediatly throttle anymore (like it did before), my 3D mark scores increased by 50% because of this.

Nothing special about the spacers. There are just small washers. I got the idea from the Notebookreview forums post about repasting the Y500. Take a look at that thread and you will get the idea.

Not only did I see a huge drop in temps but my ultrabay card did not immediatly throttle anymore (like it did before), my 3D mark scores increased by 50% because of this.

Have you been able to break 4000 score mark for 3DMark firestrike 1.2 at least?

I get 16222 on Cloudgate after the repaste. Before the repaste I got 13729 so maybe not 50% difference but certainly significant. All because the ultrabay card was no longer throttling.

I would run Firestrike for you but my laptop is in for repairs after some bad bios settings.

I get 16222 on Cloudgate after the repaste. Before the repaste I got 13729 so maybe not 50% difference but certainly significant. All because the ultrabay card was no longer throttling.

I would run Firestrike for you but my laptop is in for repairs after some bad bios settings.

Man, I feel for you. I know about your long, storied history with this laptop since you first got it. I personally went through three Y500 units before finding a keeper. Good luck.