[Solved] 6970m is preventing system from POST after flashing vbios

svl7

As I suspected, it was the wrong tracking nr., he sent me the correct, but didn't even need to use it anymore, the package arrived today. I'll let you know about my progress, hop I find some time today or during the weekend.

I'm having troubles installing the USB driver for the programmer... I go to the device manager and point it to the driver, then it says "Windows could not find driver software for your device".

Any other way to install drivers? (Windows 7 64bit Professional)

Edit: Hmm, maybe the driver is incompatible with 64bit systems... Guess I have to try it on my old Toshiba notebook.

Edited by svl7

Hmm, seems the driver isn't compatible with my version of Windows 7, but it seems to work on my ancient Toshiba laptop with XP (7 years old, lol). Should find time to test it tomorrow, now I need to sleep, it's already past 3am here, lol.

Ok... status update. I desoldered the chip, programmed it (seemed to work even though it's not officially supported by the programmer) and soldered it back to the GPU.

System did POST, Windows loading screen came up and then only black screen :( Maybe I messed something up while desoldering, dunno. Or do you guys have an idea?

Will post some pictures later.

flash it now from DOS with the original VBIOS and you good to go! the programmers sometimes messing with the addresses. Example atiflash start writing from a specific adress to a specific adress.

Dont worry if you flash it it will work. Good job. and congrat.

Ok... status update. I desoldered the chip, programmed it (seemed to work even though it's not officially supported by the programmer) and soldered it back to the GPU.

System did POST, Windows loading screen came up and then only black screen :( Maybe I messed something up while desoldering, dunno. Or do you guys have an idea?

Will post some pictures later.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, it works again!! Back from the dead :D

Didn't need to reflash, not sure what solved it... I used CCleaner and reseated the card, now everything seems to work fine, I just installed the 11.7 driver.

Thanks everyone for your input and support!!!

• Thumbs Up 5

I would recommend to reflash it ATI recommended way just cause. I would do it, but is your option. Happy you managed to solve the problem. And you gained new level of experience,you know you can fix it if is happen next and is feels good...Just a tiny 128KB code, could cause so much problem.... LOL

• Thumbs Up 1

Very nice article. and GOOD job. thanks to mention me.I've see yo also "not just started" repairing PCBs. I sure there will be a few people willing to pay you if they screw up something. and you could do the same with R2 BIOS wich is an SST25VF040B i seen sometimes the fn+B just won't work because the BOOT BLOCK in the eeprom missing or corrupt.

BTW: something could help you is well...

http://www.equinox-tech.com/products/details.asp?ID=1010 SOIC 8PIN ZIF

Dont think of its price is worth to get it, if you working on repairing field...

another one is need to be modded:

http://www.warwickts.com/w8016-8pin-soic-zif-adapter-p775

Edited by AssimilatorX
correction
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you! Yes, I already had some of the soldering equipment :) I'll probably get a SOIC adapter sometime, there are some on ebay available for about $10-15.

I'll gladly help anyone to revive a dead GPU/mobo if possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
What exactly have you done? Flashed a modified VBIOS and afterwards it didn't POST anymore?

yes I saved a backup of my VBIOS and then edited it to lower the clock speeds, as it shut down sometimes (thought it might help) think I might have put a wrong vendor in??? anyway flashed it then black screen and just beeps! I've put my old nVidia gt240m back in and it's up and running but it's like going from a Ferrari to a smart car :( hehe. if I need to buy any tools or anything to reprogram could you point me in the right direction? thanx

Ok, seems you need to reprogram the eeprom chip which contains the VBIOS. You can either send me your 6970m and I desolder the chip, flash it with your original VBIOS and solder it back on, or I can send you a programmed chip and the only thing you have to do is exchange the chip on your card.

The last possibility is that you get a programmer and do it all by yourself. The cheapest option would be getting the chip from me and doing the soldering yourself.

Ok, seems you need to reprogram the eeprom chip which contains the VBIOS. You can either send me your 6970m and I desolder the chip, flash it with your original VBIOS and solder it back on, or I can send you a programmed chip and the only thing you have to do is exchange the chip on your card.

The last possibility is that you get a programmer and do it all by yourself. The cheapest option would be getting the chip from me and doing the soldering yourself.

Okay svl7 thanx man :) yes if you could sent me the chip, that would be cool if you let me have yr details and the price that would be great! is there anything i could buy to make the soldering / de soldering any easier? as i only have a crappy gas soldering iron :(

Edited by dawnrazr