Y510p i7-4700mq won't run at max frequency when stress using Prime95

NonXtreme

Absolutely. I see what you mean about using only TS instead of both. No worries there. I will do the undevolt from TS as well. I did some mods to the chassis as far as cutting away some unwanted plastic to allow for better air flow and removing the dust cover. I am thinking of rigging up some switches to do the pulse width modulation on/off switch. I think that will allow me to run the fans balls out whenever I want. I'm going to see what my temps are before I start fiddling with the graphics cards. I imagine I will slightly undervolt them once I see where it is to begin with. A big thanks again for answering my questions. I'm an electronics technician, but I don't have a lot of code knowledge to help out with some of the projects on here. I mostly do hardware mods and soldering.....etc.

Ty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The Y510P has some built in throttling problems. I would recommend clearing the BD PROCHOT box and then also put a check mark in the ThrottleStop - Set Multiplier box.

What version of Prime 95 are you using? The new AVX 2 instructions are usually too much for the 4700MQ. ThrottleStop might help you get a little more out of your CPU during your Prime 95 test but not that much. Y510P owners should all be using ThrottleStop because Lenovo thinks it is a good idea to disable Turbo Boost when gaming so the 4700MQ throttles down to only 2400 MHz. I think the new Y50 also has this same lame feature.

The new version of ThrottleStop has a few more features specifically for the Y510P.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

sorry sir, but the file doesn't exist there. I have downloaded the 5.00 ,would that work with my Y510p ? I am also facing this embarrassing problem of throttling while playing Watchdogs game, it run smoothly for sometime then suddenly frame rates drops making it unable to play and I had also noticed that at that time the laptop get much more heated than the initial moments:33_002: . Is there any tweaks to increase the fan speed? My laptop is still within warranty, can i apply thermal paste? please help me with this problem and also tell me how to configure throttlestop so that gpu doesn't slow down the cpu anymore. Thanks in advance. :encouragement:

• 1 month later...

hello everyone , when I'm using trottlestop 7.0 and test processor in Intel XTU benchmark score 711 , without trottlestop I'm receiving 709 .

It dosnt look to grate ;/ , can someone would be so kind and provide me what is the I7 4700 MQ score ?

THX

Intel XTU needs a lot of unthrottled performance at some high speeds to score anywhere in the 1000 score range. It sounds right if you havent played with increased TDP or any overclocking over stock.

• 3 years later...

Up.

I'm running a recently cleaned Y510 (modded BIOS) with 4700MQ with TG Kryonaut on both CPU and GPU.

I set the CPU on XTU to 36x/35x/34x/34x @ -0.100v, Cache 36x @ 0.065v.

In games, It starts with 3.4 GHz and after sometime it drops to default 2.4 GHz.

On Prime95 v29.4 b8, It starts with 3.0 GHz (45w / Current Limit), and after 4.5 minutes it reaches 90°C, and the clock reduces to 2.4 GHz, and it stays stable. I stop the test after 15 minutes.

While I am trying to solve the Current Limit issue, I just brought a CPU Exhaust to (try) reduce the temps.
https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Auto-Temp-Detection-2600-5000RPM-Nintendo/dp/B01NACVLWM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1530076965&sr=8-4&keywords=OPOLAR

UPDATE: The Exhaust really works, at Prime95 the throttle jumped from 4.5 minutes mark to 6 minutes (it goes reasonably for 5 minutes, then the temps go crazy). 1 minute after hitting the 90°C throttle the temps go down to 69°C, allowing the clock to go up to 3.0 GHz again.

1) Using only Prime95: I run it for ~30 minutes, totally stable. The temps vary between 69°C (3.0 GHz kicks in) and 90°C (2.4 GHz throttle).

2) Using only GPUz Stress tool: After 15 minutes running the test, the CPU is stable at 3.45 GHz @ 69°C, and the GPU is stable at 59°C.

3) Prime95 and GPUz without the Exhaust: The CPU reaches 90°C and the GPU reaches 97°C, both start to trottle (the CPU goes even down to 800 MHz) and after 8 minutes the PC shutdowns.

4) Prime95 and GPUz with the Exhaust: I ran the test for 15 minutes. The CPU was stable at 2.40 GHz @ 72°C, and the GPU was Stable at 64°C.

UPDATE 2: After some test, and I figure out that the clock limit to my setup is 2.80 GHz (28x on 4 cores) during Prime95 Max Temp stress test, where the CPU maintain the clocks between 84°C ~ 86°C without throttling. If I set the multiplier to 29x, it reaches 90°C and throttles.

I still have to make some tests in games and with a external GPU (the internal GPU being totally disabled).

Edited by AllanDavidson