Y510p i7-4700mq won't run at max frequency when stress using Prime95

NonXtreme

My Y510p i7-4700mq won't run at max frequency when stress using Prime95.

I have my i7 undervolted by -80mv voltage offset using XTU.

Multipliers are set to 34x 33x 32x 32x for 1 2 3 and 4 active cores.

But when running prime95 CPU max at 2.99GHz when it should max at 3.2GHz.

XTU show 100% CPU Current Limit Throttling but cpu has only use around 32-34 Watt only while it should throttle at 47watt tdp and it also hasn't reached temp limit yet as shown in the screenshot.

post-28241-14494997976341_thumb.jpg

So can anyone tell me what's wrong with my system?

Looks like you're running into the current limit. Apparently, Haswell is really restricted in this regard compared to Ivy Bridge. Can you increase the TDC limit in ThrottleStop or XTU? What about in BIOS (if unlocked)?

I think your best bet would be to show this to @unclewebb (ThrottleStop author) and ask him about it as he has the exact same laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Y510P has some built in throttling problems. I would recommend clearing the BD PROCHOT box and then also put a check mark in the ThrottleStop - Set Multiplier box.

What version of Prime 95 are you using? The new AVX 2 instructions are usually too much for the 4700MQ. ThrottleStop might help you get a little more out of your CPU during your Prime 95 test but not that much. Y510P owners should all be using ThrottleStop because Lenovo thinks it is a good idea to disable Turbo Boost when gaming so the 4700MQ throttles down to only 2400 MHz. I think the new Y50 also has this same lame feature.

The new version of ThrottleStop has a few more features specifically for the Y510P.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

• Thumbs Up 3

post-13-14494998013304_thumb.png

I have a locked bios so there is not too much to adjust. Turn off BD PROCHOT, click on Set Multiplier and I use the +2 bins of turbo overclocking that is available in this CPU. The power limits are locked. I see that a modded v.3.05 bios is now available. At the moment this laptop runs too hot so until I pull this thing apart and replace the thermal paste, there isn't much use of flashing the bios. The cooling is a weak link in the Y510P.

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks. Yes many users suggested that replacing the thermal paste does indeed help. However, I'm limited to only playing around with power settings (undervolting...) to shave a few degrees for my system as I'm not confident in taking my laptop apart. Do you think it's better to leave my bios unmodded if I'm not willing to replace thermal paste?

I would like to switch to the modded bios someday just because it is there. To be honest, for most apps, being able to increase the power limits is probably not going to make any significant difference. Flashing a modded bios will end your warranty so it is probably not worth the risk for a very small increase in MHz (maybe 5%) when fully loaded. If you are not ready to replace the thermal paste then I wouldn't bother doing the bios mod until then. I need my laptop in one piece so I can continue working on ThrottleStop. I have a few more voltage options on the immediate things to do list. Just wish I had more time for this project.

http://i.imgur.com/DDdoEhu.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to switch to the modded bios someday just because it is there. To be honest, for most apps, being able to increase the power limits is probably not going to make any significant difference. Flashing a modded bios will end your warranty so it is probably not worth the risk for a very small increase in MHz (maybe 5%) when fully loaded. If you are not ready to replace the thermal paste then I wouldn't bother doing the bios mod until then. I need my laptop in one piece so I can continue working on ThrottleStop. I have a few more voltage options on the immediate things to do list. Just wish I had more time for this project.

http://i.imgur.com/DDdoEhu.png

please do not forget that modded bios removes whitelist as well lets you make num lock turned on by default, controlling thermal points, etc. AND you can always get back to original 3.05 pretty fast with no consequences. That being said, I can run heat p95 test w/o tdp and w/o thermal throttling only on multiplier set to 26T with throttle stop. If I do XTU testing or during gaming, I might go up higher to 28-32. But yeah, w/o repasting and some hardware modding cannot use full potential of 36T. And let us not forget that our power brick is only 170W.. Meaning if we only use CPU, we might get somewhere, but using 2xSLI, adding some JBL sound, playing CPU intensive game.. and pretty much even with wonderful cooling and undervolting done we can almost certainly run into that 170W. Am I not right?

I see. Well, my only motivation for considering the modded bios is to unlock specific settings which can lower my temps a bit if play around with it a little. Now I'm confused as to whether it really is worth it to mod the bios or not.

What specific settings are you looking for to lower your temps? You do not needed a modded bios to lower the CPU voltage. You also do not need a modded bios to access the 36 and 35 multipliers. These two multis are only available when either 1 or 2 cores are active so the default power limits are adequate to take advantage of these.

If anyone is running a Y510P with a modded bios, it would be interesting to see if there is any MHz advantage when full loaded with Prime 95. An unlocked power limit might help a little but then you will probably be limited by CPU heat.

With bios 3.05 my laptop seems to have the num lock on by default so that is not a new feature that I need. If I ever get a new AC router, I will need a new wireless card and then I will be more motivated to flash the modded 3.05 bios. I am very happy that svl7 provided the user community with that option.

Besides lowering the CPU voltage, are there any other settings I can tweak to lower my temps? Well, one advantage of using the modded bios is unlocking the voltage options for the GPU as the mod comes with a modded vbios.

What specific settings are you looking for to lower your temps? You do not needed a modded bios to lower the CPU voltage. You also do not need a modded bios to access the 36 and 35 multipliers. These two multis are only available when either 1 or 2 cores are active so the default power limits are adequate to take advantage of these.

If anyone is running a Y510P with a modded bios, it would be interesting to see if there is any MHz advantage when full loaded with Prime 95. An unlocked power limit might help a little but then you will probably be limited by CPU heat.

With bios 3.05 my laptop seems to have the num lock on by default so that is not a new feature that I need. If I ever get a new AC router, I will need a new wireless card and then I will be more motivated to flash the modded 3.05 bios. I am very happy that svl7 provided the user community with that option.

Not sure how to test it properly, but before clocks would always drop to 2.4 Ghz. Now, I can maintain 2.6 Ghz when full loaded with Prime 95 (i think I run heat related torture test). If you set multiplier in throttlestop to 2.6 Ghz on unmodded BIOS does it throttle back to 2.4 Ghz on TDP/Thermal? What temperature does it maintain then ?

Not sure how to test it properly, but before clocks would always drop to 2.4 Ghz. Now, I can maintain 2.6 Ghz when full loaded with Prime 95 (i think I run heat related torture test). If you set multiplier in throttlestop to 2.6 Ghz on unmodded BIOS does it throttle back to 2.4 Ghz on TDP/Thermal? What temperature does it maintain then ?

With modded bios TDP limits can be set, but it is saying, higher than default will not be set.

But, according to XTU it is. You can set it further with XTU, when MSR is not locked.

Current limit can be set via unlocked bios, with hint saying higher than fused will not be set, and in this case it is saying right, current limit is staying @default.

With non AVX prime95 you can run it with undervolt staying under the default TDP, 43W with HT disabled and -100mV.

AVX is different story, with that you can run into current limit, and speed will be 3.0Ghz, regardless of way higher TDP settings.

And default Lenovo throttling is based on GPU temp, if any GPU is reaching 65C CPU is down to 2.4.

But it is done via direct multi set by EC, not standard methods like BDPROCHOT. ( latter can be disabled in unlocked bios, but since throttling isn't based on that, it does nothing)

With modded bios TDP limits can be set, but it is saying, higher than default will not be set.

But, according to XTU it is. You can set it further with XTU, when MSR is not locked.

Current limit can be set via unlocked bios, with hint saying higher than fused will not be set, and in this case it is saying right, current limit is staying @default.

With non AVX prime95 you can run it with undervolt staying under the default TDP, 43W with HT disabled and -100mV.

AVX is different story, with that you can run into current limit, and speed will be 3.0Ghz, regardless of way higher TDP settings.

And default Lenovo throttling is based on GPU temp, if any GPU is reaching 65C CPU is down to 2.4.

But it is done via direct multi set by EC, not standard methods like BDPROCHOT. ( latter can be disabled in unlocked bios, but since throttling isn't based on that, it does nothing)

Oh, you may be right. Also AVX, too, can be disabled in uncloked BIOS(Update: AVX CANNOT be disabled!). Do you think HT disabling is good i.e. for games, like BF4 and Crysis ? I have seen reports where they state FPS with HT disabled can be worse, and multitasking is not as fluent in windows.

Regarding the GPU-CPU relationship.. I personally did not notice that behaviour. Maybe I have something else changed in unlocked BIOS regarding that, not sure yet. Ill will run some tests again to see and double check BIOS settings.

Oh, you may be right. Also AVX, too, can be disabled in uncloked BIOS. Do you think HT disabling is good i.e. for games, like BF4 and Crysis ? I have seen reports where they state FPS with HT disabled can be worse, and multitasking is not as fluent in windows.

Regarding the GPU-CPU relationship.. I personally did not notice that behaviour. Maybe I have something else changed in unlocked BIOS regarding that, not sure yet. Ill will run some tests again to see and double check BIOS settings.

No, AVX can not be turned off via bios, even with unlocked one. HT is only good when running more than 4 independent threads( fe. encoding) , or if application is optimized to use it.BF4 can benefit from it, Crysis3 maybe. Look for reviews, probably there are a lot regarding HT and those applications.

There are no options in unlocked bios, regarding this. This is configured in EC ( embedded controller). Run cpu test, monitor cpu speed, and gpu speed .

Now, I can maintain 2.6 Ghz when full loaded with Prime 95

What version of Prime 95 are you using and are you running the Small FFT test?

The unmodded Lenovo 3.05 bios will randomly disable Turbo Boost and throttle a 4700MQ down to the 24 multiplier soon after you start gaming or when pushed hard with Prime 95. This "feature" can be fixed using ThrottleStop. I think even with a modded bios this is still going to happen unless you are running ThrottleStop too.

What I am wondering about is with an unlocked bios, if you raise the long term power limit higher than the default 47 Watt limit, what does ThrottleStop report for power consumption when fully loaded? I think with some 3rd Gen CPUs you could go beyond the rated TDP limit by about 25% but I am not sure if this is possible with the locked 4th Gen CPUs like the 4700MQ.

My opinion is that modding the bios is much worse than changing out some thermal paste. If you don't feel comfortable doing the paste then I'd definately be worried about how you would go about fixing it if you bricked your machine. Again though, it's just my opinion...

The unmodded Lenovo 3.05 bios will randomly disable Turbo Boost and throttle a 4700MQ down to the 24 multiplier soon after you start gaming or when pushed hard with Prime 95. This "feature" can be fixed using ThrottleStop. I think even with a modded bios this is still going to happen unless you are running ThrottleStop too.

What I am wondering about is with an unlocked bios, if you raise the long term power limit higher than the default 47 Watt limit, what does ThrottleStop report for power consumption when fully loaded? I think with some 3rd Gen CPUs you could go beyond the rated TDP limit by about 25% but I am not sure if this is possible with the locked 4th Gen CPUs like the 4700MQ.

With the modded BIOS on my Y500, I can raise the power limits on my Ivy Bridge 3630QM so that it runs Prime95 at full Turbo Boost (3.2 GHz x 4) indefinitely: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7204-need-help-y510p-tempreture-2.html#post99317

Without unlocked TDP, it's ~3 GHz to stay within the 45W limit, while unlocked it draws >50W.

p95 28.5

I have noticed it is true, still need TS.

I tried both on/off short power limit, setting long limit to 110W/350W/etc, but there are two things: depending on the test I am running, I usually run either into thermal throttling (i.e. usually when P95 is running) OR into Core Current Limit TDP (i.e. when I run XTU benchmark with multiplier set to 2.9T). Current limit is set to 85 A and shows as locked in TS (btw I tried to lock it in my intel 2600 and after being locked the checkbox got disabled permanently). I have tried setting BIOS setting

to max 8189 value or something like that, but it did not change. Answering your question about watts.. TS shows 40-45W, more like 40W, voltage shows as 0.910V, 0.990V, etc. And I run everything with -70/-100 mV undervoltage. I think original pasting job was terrible, but I am yet to conclude and open up the laptop..

Yesterday I tried meddling with the settings and CPU overclocking. With p95 28.5 (and Intel XTU Benchmark) I always run either into current limit throttling (strange how - its should be huge 85A) or with higher voltage into thermal one. So Took Prime 95 v26.6 without AVX, disabled hyper threading. At 3.3-3.4 Ghz, from -50/-40 to -20/-10 mV corrections, I manage to run the test and stay at 80-90C (28C room temperature). But it was stable and no throttling (do not remember exact undervoltage values). TS showed 44-48 watts or something like that. In fact, running all cores at 3.4ghz with 0 undervoltage and adding gpu-z test on top of it I always thermal throttle (even on stock clocks on GPU, but -100mV undervoltage; probably because they are on the same fan and heat pipes connect altogether). So if nvidia GPU is used together with p95 test (meaning 100% load on CPU cores, ~80% on GPU, but no CPU AVX), still better cooling is needed. Or I lower cpu clocks to 3.1-3.2 in XTU, run gpu-z test at ~78C and get no CPU throttling too. All these numbers are what I remember, did not write them up on paper during tests, just wanted to re-code some videos with x264 so had to put CPU at 3.4Ghz constantly to encode and it ran fine (was not loading CPU cores 100% of course), so later on did some tests. Please note again my room temperature of 28C.

• Thumbs Up 2

How come mine goes down to 1.4ghz instead of staying at 2.4ghz when all four cores are running?

Are you using ThrottleStop? Post some screenshots when you have a question. imgur: the simple image sharer works great. You can do a CTRL+V and paste directly from Windows into imgur and upload pics quickly and then post a link in forums. If you want to post a screen shot of only CPU-Z or whatever app, click on the app, highlight it and then hold down the ALT key and push the PRINT SCREEN button on your keyboard. It's usually towards the top right on most keyboards. My Y510P shows PrtSc. Now when you go to imgur all you have to do is a CTRL+V to paste this image.

Thanks allstone for the info. That is sort of what I concluded. Even if I could raise the power limits, I would be hitting the thermal throttling limits due to a barely adequate heatsink and fan in the Y510P. With Intel's focus on throttling based on power consumption, many laptop manufacturers are putting a bare minimum into their cooling solutions. With Haswell running like a nuclear inferno, it doesn't leave much room to get the most out of your CPU without a complete overhaul and redesign of the factory cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Unclewebb. Appreciate all the work you do on Throttlestop. Also props to Allstone for the info. I have a Y510P with the I7 4700MQ. I'm trying to squeeze out some more performance for when Archeage goes live here in the US. So far I'm experimenting with undervolting a bit on it. ~70mv at the moment. I'm supplying a screenshot to help with my question. There are a lot of settings in both Intel's XTU and Throttlestop. What are your recommended Turbo ratio limits for all of the cores. I see from your screenshot you have 1 active core set to 36. What about 2, 3, and 4. Also, what do you guys recommend as far as the GPU's are concerned. It would be nice to put together a list of mods. Undervolt X amount, then Set turbo to W,X,Y and Z. I'm putting it all together from reading about 5 different boards. Maybe you guys with some more know-how could share some recommendations about how the throttling works and what we can do to get temps under control. I haven't used Prime95 in a few years...I'm guessing it's a lot more intensive than the Intel XTU stresser. I'm willing to strip it down and repaste everything. My last laptop was the Gateway P7805U....it looked like a frankenstein by the time I was done with all the mods to the cooling. Anyway, Given the relationship to GPU to CPU throttling, it looks like you can get away with just running Intel XTU for an undervolt and then TS to keep from throttling too far. Like you, I don't know the optimal settings though. Where should I park my turbo multipliers, and where and where am I going to hit a thermal wall once I start testing the GPU's in conjunction with my CPU settings? I've got the 750M x2 SLI setup. The mech 1gb drive until I find an SSD I want. I have no slot for the M.2 ....they decidd not to solder one on my board :(

post-28681-14494998134248_thumb.jpg

I'm supplying a screenshot to help with my question.

Ok, theres a lot you can do. But first of all, please note that XTU and ThrottleStop does similar thing and running them together you might lead to unexpected results. Most notably, if you set something in XTU and then run TS, then TS might override some XTU settings. And vice versa. Also note that -70mV is good.. unless you set multipliers too low => or processor lowers voltage in some state and voltage gets to low => which leads to system crash usually because of lack of voltage. Modded BIOS might help with this - it can change for Windows to boot directly in Turbo-Performance state instead of non-turbo state which would allow lower voltages to be set and windows not to crash during boot.

As for recommendations, maybe lets hear first from @Unclewebb as he is most advanced and with most knowledge, I think maybe we could put a guide together which in turn would benefit us all, how to go about the settings, step by step, for XTU, TS, which P95 version to test on, which processor usage % to set in power options, etc.