Intel Thunderbolt NUC + Thunder2 PCIe Box + 750 Ti + Win8.1/EFI = system hangs

arclord

Hi,

I have a EVGA 750 Ti SC installed in the Thunder2 PCIe Box and connected to the Intel Thunderbolt NUC with Win8.1/EFI.

The Thunder2 PCIe Box powers up fine and the 750 Ti is detected by the NUC. I can install the latest Nvidia graphics drivers but the system hangs after a reboot.

post-27765-14494997975136_thumb.jpg

The NUC can boot up with Thunder2 PCIe Box unplugged. Uninstalling the Nvidia graphics drivers also allows the NUC to boot up with the Thunder2 PCIe Box attached.

post-27765-14494997975472_thumb.jpg

Any advice on how to solve this problem?

Is there a compatibility issue between the Thunderbolt1 port on the NUC and the Thunderbolt2 port on the Thunder2 PCIe Box?

Or the 60W power supply not providing enough power to Thunder2 PCIe Box + 750 Ti? A 12V/10A 120W power supply is on its way.

Hi,

I have a EVGA 750 Ti SC installed in the Thunder2 PCIe Box and connected to the Intel Thunderbolt NUC with Win8.1/EFI.

The Thunder2 PCIe Box powers up fine and the 750 Ti is detected by the NUC. I can install the latest Nvidia graphics drivers but the system hangs after a reboot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12091[/ATTACH]

The NUC can boot up with Thunder2 PCIe Box unplugged. Uninstalling the Nvidia graphics drivers also allows the NUC to boot up with the Thunder2 PCIe Box attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12092[/ATTACH]

Any advice on how to solve this problem?

Is there a compatibility issue between the Thunderbolt1 port on the NUC and the Thunderbolt2 port on the Thunder2 PCIe Box?

Or the 60W power supply not providing enough power to Thunder2 PCIe Box + 750 Ti? A 12V/10A 120W power supply is on its way.

Its mostly the power suppy issue. Let us know the updates once you get your 120W PSU

I was also looking into this possibility. I am wondering if Intel has provided enough pci memory allocate-able resources for eGPU and if there are TOLUD issues, ect.. just curious if a mPCIE PE4L approach would answer some of these questions if you had one handy, and given optimus compensating for the bandwidth difference it wouldn't be too far off in performance from what I understand being TB1 (still purely for diagnostic, see what happens). Idk would maybe give different results. It looks like theres errors in device manager b4 even taking the power into consideration. If it does happen to be system resources try using a 500/600 series nvidia card with the lower pci memory allocation. I'm new and just trying to throw some ideas around, and learn from their probable stupidity lol.

I was also looking into this possibility. I am wondering if Intel has provided enough pci memory allocate-able resources for eGPU and if there are TOLUD issues, ect.. just curious if a mPCIE PE4L approach would answer some of these questions if you had one handy, and given optimus compensating for the bandwidth difference it wouldn't be too far off in performance from what I understand being TB1 (still purely for diagnostic, see what happens). Idk would maybe give different results. It looks like theres errors in device manager b4 even taking the power into consideration. If it does happen to be system resources try using a 500/600 series nvidia card with the lower pci memory allocation. I'm new and just trying to throw some ideas around, and learn from their probable stupidity lol.

I don't have a mPCIE PE4L unfortunately. Was hoping Win8.1/EFI will automatically resolve the pci memory allocation issue.

Have just tested a 1x PCIe Intel wireless adapter in the Thunder2 PCIe Box and it works perfectly with the Intel NUC. Gives me hope to keep trying.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey arclord,

Did you receive your 120 Watt PSU already? I'd like to know whether you resolved your issue or not. :)

Thanks!

Not yet. Have emailed the ebay seller for an update since the expected delivery date has passed.

While waiting for the 120W power supply, I got a 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm molex plug to draw power directly from my ATX PSU. Unfortunately, the 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm molex plug doesn't fit the Thunder2 PCIe Box. I think a 5.5 mm x 2.5 mm molex plug is needed instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received my 16x PCIe riser extender with molex plug. Tested it with my 750 Ti and still it doesn't work.

Read about Call's success with GTX 760 and HD 3450 and decided to test the Thunder2 PCIe Box with my old HD 7870.

Powered the HD 7870 and the Thunder2 PCIe Boc with the supplied 60W power adapter + 2 6-pin plugs from Seasonic X 760W - HD 7870 not detected in Win8.1/EFI

Powered the HD 7870 and the Thunder2 PCIe Boc with riser extender molex plug + 2 6-pin plugs from Seasonic X 760W - it finally works!

post-27765-14494998192622_thumb.jpg

post-27765-14494998192882_thumb.jpg

Here is the setup. Pardon me for the poor placement of the HD 7870 (the 6-pin plugs from the Seasonic X 760W were too short). Will do some 3D tests once I figure out how to place the HD 7870 without getting the GPU fan covered.

post-27765-14494998193057_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning to move to another Thunderbolt platform since I couldn't get the Thunderbolt NUC to work with my Nvidia graphics cards.

Have successfully migrated the Thunder2 PCIe + TB boards to the Cooler Master Elite 130.

post-27765-14494998330299_thumb.jpg

I am currently supplying power to the Thunder2 PCIe + TB boards and HD 7870 using an external ATX power supply. Will install the ATX power supply into the Elite 130 once I finish with cable management.

The Elite 130 is a nice mITX casing for the Thunder2 since it can take graphics cards up to 13.5 inches.

post-27765-14494998329945_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.