GTX 880M Flag/Brick wall

sanji

Okay so first of all, thanks for all the help I've been given so far, I'm fairly new to the scene and these forums have helped me out a lot. I've reached a bit of a problem with my graphics card, which I should have expected really, but anyways -

Before installing the modified vbios I read a thread that says the gtx 880m throttles if it crashes too many times. I took this information too lightly, and by that I thought "It wouldn't happen to me" and well... it has.

I thought it wouldn't happen because I thought the 'flag' was caused by the stock vbois, and I stupidly assumed that the modified vbios would remove this 'feature'. I tried reverting to older drivers, and this seemed to work great - getting 1000MHz clock speeds no problem, but after restarting my computer I found that the clocks were stuck at 135MHz again... This all started last right after what seems like one too many crashes on my videocard.

I've not been able to find any fixes for this. I admit I shouldn't have really been overclocking since this was my first time messing around with it, but I didn't exactly do anything extreme... 83C max temps @ stock voltage and +50 clock speed. I've not exactly been pushing the boundaries...

Any ideas because nowhere seems to have gave any ideas as to whether its repairable... Driver re-install is only a temporary fix it seems. Is RMA my only option and will I get away with that with a modded vbios?

Thanks again

I have never heard of this before. What nvidia often does is cut clocks to around 400MHz when a card crashes and the driver recovers, but I never heard of this persisting after a restart.

Have you tried using DDU (display driver uninstaller) after uninstalling your driver and installing a new one? You'll may have to temporarily disable the Windows automatic driver install feature to do this.

Worst case scenario is to reinstall windows. This can't be hardware related so that will fix it.

If it's not in ROM or anything, and not a fuse being forcibly blown (since it is possible to reset it). Yet goes away when you swap drives out and swap back (no idea how that one works). Any thoughts on how this is exactly working? Or is it some mega obscure thing in the drivers/software reading the ID of the card and blacklisting it.

Does Nvidia just not want enthusiast / OC'ing gamers to use their top of the line cards or what. This is nothing short of a terrible idea.