decent ssd?

iDesign

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you would like to save the ultrabay or the 2.5'' hard disk slots you can always try a 42mm M.2 ssd.

Currently I am using the "Transcend TS256GMTS400" (with 256GB), which is big enough for a triple boot and using the 1TB hdd as backup/shared files.

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-MTS400-Solid-State-TS256GMTS400/dp/B00KLTPUG4

The "MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2" is pretty famous too among Y510p users, but I had issues with it so I decided to give a try to the transcend one.

http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8NO/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

If you would like to save the ultrabay or the 2.5'' hard disk slots you can always try a 42mm M.2 ssd.

Currently I am using the "Transcend TS256GMTS400" (with 256GB), which is big enough for a triple boot and using the 1TB hdd as backup/shared files.

Amazon.com: Transcend 256 GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive TS256GMTS400: Computers & Accessories

The "MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2" is pretty famous too among Y510p users, but I had issues with it so I decided to give a try to the transcend one.

Amazon.com: MyDigitalSSD SC2 Super Cache 2 42mm SATA III 6G M.2 NGFF M2 SSD Solid State Drive (128GB): Computers & Accessories

Any idea what the difference between supercache and transcend are? Seeing a big price difference between the two.

I'm after a m2 ssd as the y510p has the 8gb ssd built in :/ but I need my 1tb harddrive to store my games on :P

Check out the MyDigitalSSD (Link to Amazon, 42mm 128GB version) It is a decent price and seems to perform well.

I picked this up within the first week of getting the y510p along with the EVO 840 SSD. You can use the M.2 as a cache for your 1tb HDD, if you wanted, but i haven't seen many people posting that have used it that way. I would recommend making that your boot drive if you are going to keep that 1tb for your games.

Any idea what the difference between supercache and transcend are? Seeing a big price difference between the two.

iDesign: It looks like the Transcend version is 560MB Read with the MyDigitalSSD clocking in at 545MB Read. Honestly, I doubt you will notice a difference in speed. I was trying to check out the durability ratings and couldn't find much on the MyDigitalSSD but that doesnt mean it is bad. Note that the MyDigitalSSD *does* have a 3 year warranty. I would recommend picking up the cheaper one (MyDigitalSSD). I'm happy with mine...

I have the lenovo y510p also and i have notice that many people are getting NGFF MyDigitalSSD which i would recommend because it has great performance and that you should install an OS onto it also, and for the 2.5 sata drive you should try to get an ssd like for an example a Samsung 840 pro which is a good ssd and if you are going for a hhd then you should consider a 7500 rpm or higher rpm drive like a wester digital caviar black 7500 rpm and if u get either one of them that you should consider installing an OS onto the NGFF MyDigitalSSD and use the 2.5 drive as storage.

Hi iDesign, sorry for being a bit late, quite busy at work.

About the performance there is not much difference in practice, I did not notice any difference on booting time.

I've made a speed test with the my current TS256GMTS400 ssd, and here is the result:

post-26200-14494998017004_thumb.png

Also, MyDigitalSSD has its performance test here, for their SC2 ssd:

MyDigitalSSD 128GB Super Cache 2 mSATA SATA III 6G SSD | FNet HybriDisk Software | My Digital Discount

You can see that I've used the same software that was used on SC2, but results can vary a bit.

Here is a list of some differences that can affect the test:

- Software version (3.0.3 vs 3.0.2);

- Different laptop/hardware (Y510p vs X220);

- Windows 8.1 vs Windows 8;

- I did run the test on a "live" ntfs partition and they used a single partition (unknown FS, or a clean unformatted disk);

So I think that you can draw your own conclusions from here.

About the price, when bought my TS256GMTS400 was 139.99 USD on Amazon at the time (great deal for the largest 42mm M.2 ssd on the market).

The SC2 is really a great SSD and again I've just decided to go with Transcend because I had to return my SC2 two times, and also I had other firmware issues with it.

I agree with most posts regarding the Samsung 840 series. I have the Samsung 840 on my Y500, and as long as it's ticked in BIOS to run compatible SATA mode, it runs fine.

For some reason though, my Samsung 840 doesn't seem to like Windows 8 very much. I don't mind particularly, as I prefer Windows 7 myself. Just throwing my personal input out there.