eBay Listing - Scam or Not ??

Michael

• Founder

Hey, i am in the market for an iPhone 4 and found this listing on eBay.

The seller claims he sells unopened factory unlocked genuine iPhone 4 32GB for 500$ including 2-3 day UPS worldwide express shipping, with a minimum order of 2 units.

He's store also seems to have good feedback..

What do you guys think ?

That's what he wrote to me after i contacted him by email

Hi,

All phones are 100% original from Apple , Brand New , factory unlocked , in sealed boxes , with all standard accessories included . They all have 4.2.1 firmware. Each phone have 1(one) year international Apple Care warranty . The warranty is valid once you activate the phone.

You can use the phones with any sim card in any country. I have both colors : black and white . I bought the phones from Apple Factory Foxconn and also this is the reason why i have low prices.

I can ship anywhere with UPS , DHL or FedEx with Air Express services(24h to 48h delivery) with tracking number. The delivery is free and there are no customs taxes(i can send as a gift or put a low value i can even write that i send shoes or cloths). I ship from UK.

Let me know how many phones do you want to buy so we can talk about payment .

and here's another one after i requested some more info

Hi,

The final price for 2 x Apple iPhone 4 32GB is 1000 USD shipping and handling taxes included .

We will close the deal through eBay Buyer/Seller Protection Program. In this way we are both protected.

I will explain you how it works:

eBay will contact us (seller and buyer) with payment and delivery instructions. You will send the money to eBay. Once the payment is made and confirmed , eBay will notify me to start the delivery (it will take 24h to 48h to receive the package). Once you have the phones in your hands , you have 7 days to inspect them to see if they are original , new , unlocked , working ...etc. If you want to keep them , you will have to notify eBay that everything is OK so they can send me the money . If you are not satisfied with the phones , send them back at my costs and eBay will cancel our transaction and you will get your money back.

Let me know if you are intested because i need some details from you in order to start this transaction .

Edited by Michael

• Founder

Yeah, that deal wasn't obviously scam so i investigated..

gotta say that scam is pretty good and everything looks legit until he asks you to do the transaction outside of eBay.

True. I'd try to make it look legit as well if I did something similar :D

Transaction outside of ebay sucks, it's absolutely a no-go. I mean I can understand that some dealers (legit, well reputed ones) would prefer to do transactions outside of ebay sometimes to avoid the paypal fee, but since you loose all buyer protection it'd be really stupid to do so.

• Founder

yeah, totally.. Plus, as i understand now, the account of the guy that posted that action (>1500 sales + 99.XX% good feedback) was hacked

It's pretty easy to miss such a scam when you're being scammed from a well reputable account.

• 3 years later...