Y510P owners - CPU replacement

yoshy262

Because I want to keep this model for at least 2-3 years I already maxed out the upgrades on it (755 SLI, 256 GB SSD & 128 GB NGFF).

Next I want to put 16 GB DDR3 because now I have only 8 Gb but I was thinking if I can change also the processor

(4700MQ) with a 4800MQ or 4900MQ but I don't know if I can change or from where I can buy a specific model without any risk.

My mainboard is Lenovo VIQY0Y1.

If anyone have changed already the processor or have any idea from where I can buy an 4800-4900 let me know.

The default cooling system also will be enough?

You can always look on craigslist for dead laptops that have a beefy CPU that you can switch. Don't know if its easy as just drop in the new cpu and it'll work. There may be some bios work that needs to be done, svl7 will probably be able to answer that one better. As far as cooling goes I think it'll be fine. I'm gonna be keeping up to date with this thread. This is something I would like to do down the road too.

For the processor I would suggest you to wait some time, because it is really crazy how the prices drop from one generation o another.

For example, the 3rd gen Intel i7-3920XM was also around 1000 USD on the year that it was released, and now (we are on 4th gen) you can find it for about 300 USD on eBay.

Also, the 4700MQ is a really decent processor, the clock changes to 4800 and 4900 are not THAT significant IMO.

I am only disappointed to 4700 because of the lack of Intel VT-d feature on it..

isaito - you've got a point and I will wait a little, is not a rush.....

On the other hand I've found out on China market Haswell Core I7 4900MQ QDME 2.8G 8M QS and cost only 277,50 / piece

I think is fake or smth.... I will ask .

TheRealLionKing - No luck on craiglist, I am from Germany.

Anyway, I will not risk 300-400 euro without a guarantee.

I recently purchased and upgraded from an I5-4200m to an I7-4800mq. Let me just say the performance increase was insane. The stock cooling is a little weak so I end up using a cooling pad most times. I purchased from amazon, Intel sells direct from there brand new for 329. Just remember to get paste as well!

And what about VRM? I owned Y410P and planing to change to i7-4800 or i7-4900 but i'm worried about VRM. Faster processor will drain more power. But i think heatsink will be fine (Maybe) they're all same TDP just repaste with good paste it will be fine.

For the processor I would suggest you to wait some time, because it is really crazy how the prices drop from one generation o another.

For example, the 3rd gen Intel i7-3920XM was also around 1000 USD on the year that it was released, and now (we are on 4th gen) you can find it for about 300 USD on eBay.

Also, the 4700MQ is a really decent processor, the clock changes to 4800 and 4900 are not THAT significant IMO.

I am only disappointed to 4700 because of the lack of Intel VT-d feature on it..

Intel VT-d is available for i7-4700MQ Y510p. Just go to the BIOS to enable it. Its disabled by default.

Intel VT-d is available for i7-4700MQ Y510p. Just go to the BIOS to enable it. Its disabled by default.

Not according to Intel's website:

ARK | Intel® Core

Not sure about the BIOS option. I saw that svl7's BIOS has the option, but I almost sure that you can't just toggle and enable it, since it is a quite fancy feature of the processor.

Also, note that despite VT-x and VT-d are related with virtualization, they are completely different in practice.

the i7-4900mq is a great choice and that since you are also upgrading the ram you should get a good mhz rating from the ram so try to get something higher

I was thinking to go for 16 GB DDR3, 1600 MHZ, CL9 (9-9-9-28), 1.35V , 150-160 Euro (around 200 USD),

Later edit - I've ordered this ones - 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM laptop memory dual channel kit (2x 8GB) CL9 - 160 euro

I think your biggest issue will be Heat. The current processor has enough heat issues with the slightly inadequate design of the current case. Notebook in this size are tough enough to cool properly in any case.

The upside is that the 4700MQ is a decent processor and should be sufficient for some time to come. :)

I think your biggest issue will be Heat. The current processor has enough heat issues with the slightly inadequate design of the current case. Notebook in this size are tough enough to cool properly in any case.

The upside is that the 4700MQ is a decent processor and should be sufficient for some time to come. :)

@techmaster, I remember reading that 4930MX or 4910MQ is with the same socket but produces less heat, thus is less watt hungry. What do you think? See Intel Core i7 4910MQ vs 4700MQ performance per watt is almost twice..

@techmaster, I remember reading that 4930MX or 4910MQ is with the same socket but produces less heat, thus is less watt hungry. What do you think? See Intel Core i7 4910MQ vs 4700MQ performance per watt is almost twice..

Hmm, Interesting. If it can pull better performance with less heat that's always a good thing. Not sure its enough to warrant spending the extra cash and time to swap to it however unless you get a really good deal.

If I was trying to decide on a new system with the 4930 vs the 4910 in it I would definitely go that route.

Yes, @techmaster is right. The i7-4910MQ has the same max TDP as the i7-4700MQ (47W). However, it does not means that they will always produce the same amount of heat (still, a nice option IMO).

In the other hand, the i7-4930MX has a max TDP of 57W. Therefore, it might not be a good option to use this last one, since the laptop cooling system could not be able to handle this thermal power properly.

• 1 year later...
Hmm, Interesting. If it can pull better performance with less heat that's always a good thing. Not sure its enough to warrant spending the extra cash and time to swap to it however unless you get a really good deal.

If I was trying to decide on a new system with the 4930 vs the 4910 in it I would definitely go that route.

Maybe you wont notice much increase in performance but 4800-4910MQs have one feature that 4700MQ does not have, VT-d, at least for people that can make use of it. Otherwise I think it is not worth spending so much money for CPU upgrade on Y510P. You can rather sell your laptop and save cash you intended to spend on CPU upgrade and buy better laptop. Or wait until price drops.