[Epic fail] P157SM, HD8970M [R9-M290x] fails to launch every first boot.

ToToRoTY

My P157SM HW spec:

i7-4700MQ [w/o OC]

8192MB DDR3 [nothing fancy]

HD8970M [or R9-M290X as they call it now-a-days]

Firmware:

PremaMod Bios: 1.03.04PM v2 with EC 1.03.01 and ME ver 9.0.31.1487 [default settings without the logo... :beguiled:]

Stock HD8970M firmware

Currently running Win8.1Pro x64, but the problem persists in Win7Ult x64.

Driver:

Tried every drivers under the sun for the HD8970M and I dare say all HD4600 drivers that can be found (including beta drivers too...), wiped with DDU between installations.

Symptoms:

Cold boot, the "GPU indicator lights up from boot and never switches off", HD8970M [Code:12 or 43] in device manager.

- "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. blablabla..." pop up.

- "ACP Kernel Service Driver service failed to start... A device attached to the system is not functioning." in Windows event viewer. (probably related to amdacpksd?)

Restart notebook after running it in that state for 5 to 7 minutes, everything works fine after that reboot, superb performance, just a little bit noisy after gaming for a while which is to be expected.

Proposed solution at the moment:

- "Dump the bios", flash it with someone else's [Enduro ver. then Non-Enduro ver. if that doesn't fix the problem] shall be working on it during the coming weekend [19th July, 2014]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...